Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

Just now, Strokes said:

No change in the polls in volatile political times is quite noteworthy too, it’s just that you are either incapable or refuse to understand it.

Not on a daily/weekly basis it isn't. Seems like you can't grasp that fact.

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

Why not?

We discuss politics weekly, we are still in a pandemic (I think). Lots of things are changing daily, why shouldn’t we make note of wider opinions. It’s not your cup of tea fine, scroll on but don’t ruin the thread for the rest of us by constantly banging on about it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I think you're misunderstanding my intention, it was to prove a point. I engineered the discussion, to prove that polls are only discussion worthy when they is something to discuss, such as major swing, or some "information" about the poll, otherwise its just a bunch of numbers. Might have been a tad unfair on the the people who joined in making them think there was something real to discuss, but they were the ones I knew would engage and who I wanted to make the point to.

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

If you had somehow made a point about polls being posted too often, that might have been worthwhile.

But a poll posted a week before important elections IS worthy of discussion. Maybe a Hartlepool/Scotland/West Midlands poll might have been more interesting - but a national poll at such a time IS of some interest.

Anyway, you didn't make a point about over-frequent/irrelevant polls. You apparently pretended to believe that the poll was biased, wasting everyone's time responding to that point.

In other words, you were trolling and, having played a big part in getting one thread closed down, were doing your best to get this one closed, too! :mad: 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

If you had somehow made a point about polls being posted too often, that might have been worthwhile.

But a poll posted a week before important elections IS worthy of discussion. Maybe a Hartlepool/Scotland/West Midlands poll might have been more interesting - but a national poll at such a time IS of some interest.

Anyway, you didn't make a point about over-frequent/irrelevant polls. You apparently pretended to believe that the poll was biased, wasting everyone's time responding to that point.

In other words, you were trolling and, having played a big part in getting one thread closed down, were doing your best to get this one closed, too! :mad: 

Well for that I apologise. I did fully admit to it though, unlike some others. I was happy to make my point and move on, which I had done after @Strokes wrote and deleted a reply earlier. You didn't have to get involved, it was all finished, regardless of whether I should have done it in the first place.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Why not?

We discuss politics weekly, we are still in a pandemic (I think). Lots of things are changing daily, why shouldn’t we make note of wider opinions. It’s not your cup of tea fine, scroll on but don’t ruin the thread for the rest of us by constantly banging on about it.

You didn't have to get involved today did you, but you did. If you didn't like it, scroll on.

Now let's leave it there. I made my point which I think is valid and when you deleted your post earlier I thought you might have actually accepted that even though you didn't totally agree I had made something of point, and now you and alf have started it up again.

8 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Sorry for making you do all that research though, I thought all this was inconsequential to anyway and wasn't a huge part of your life. Seems you spent a lot of time collecting data on something you don't really care about :thumbup:

Took me 10-15 mins to find and collate, wasn't difficult, don't worry, but was worth doing to point out some facts, to explain how all the pollsters operate which I knew you'd appreciate.

Cheers,

Jeff.

8 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I've said this before but Starmer is someone is apolitical. That's not the same being a 'centrist' in the style of Blair. Blair had clear principles with a solid political project and although I would disagree with it it's clear he had it. Starmer is someone who lacks a political project, lacks convictions to act upon, lacks political allies to back him up or anything that means he can offer anything transactional to anyone. Starmer often talks about "values" but declines to say what they actually are. That says a lot

I think when even you don't know what you want or what you are for its difficult to convince people that you are acting in their interests. I'd go further and say he comes across as slimy and opportunist but that's my opinion. 

I would love to know how people like Farage, Trump or Boris make it look so easy... 

10 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I would love to know how people like Farage, Trump or Boris make it look so easy... 

Because charismatic manipulation comes naturally to some people. Unfortunately those people also often have no one's interests but their own as a priority.

Just now, Voll Blau said:

Trump just lost, and Farage has failed in his bid to become an MP so many times I've lost count.

whether you like them or not, agree with them, or not ,all achieved their goals, mostly against the odds so I would say they are winners in their chosen fields, wouldn`t you. 

Just now, Gordon the Great said:

whether you like them or not, agree with them, or not ,all achieved their goals, mostly against the odds so I would say they are winners in their chosen fields, wouldn`t you. 

No.

Trump is one of the wealthiest blokes around (such an underdog!), Farage is a persistent whinger who could only ever get elected to an institution he claimed to want rid of (yet had no problem claiming plenty of expenses from), and Johnson's life is a tale of lying and cheating his way to the top. It's hard to be impressed by people like that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gordon the Great said:

I'd be curious to know where "hardly any border wall built, tossed out after four years and now subject to several federal subpoenas" is in the list of Trump's goals, tbh.

NB. To say nothing of his goals being morally questionable.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

No.

Trump is one of the wealthiest blokes around (such an underdog!), Farage is a persistent whinger who could only ever get elected to an institution he claimed to want rid of (yet had no problem claiming plenty of expenses from), and Johnson's life is a tale of lying and cheating his way to the top. It's hard to be impressed by people like that.

Probably best to agree to differ at this point then.

1 hour ago, Gordon the Great said:

I am certainly no advocate of the politics of Mr Trump but I would say his lifetime ambition was to be President of the USA

I don't think that's true at all. Trumps ambition to that ascend to that position seemed to begin during the Obama regime, and more specifically, when Obama, among others, took the piss out of him at the White House correspondents dinner in 2011. Many political commentators seem to believe that was the point becoming president became his obsession and he hadn't been at all serious until then. One look at his face as Obama delivers the following and the crowd roars with laughter, suggests that was really the moment. Trump has money as his God, until he felt he'd been belittled publicly, then a fire was lit under him. I really don't think the presidency has been a lifelong ambition for him.

Obama

"All kidding aside, obviously, we all know about your credentials and breadth of experience," the president told Trump as the audience laughed. "For example -- no, seriously, just recently, in an episode of Celebrity Apprentice...at the steakhouse, the men's cooking team cooking did not impress the judges from Omaha Steaks. And there was a lot of blame to go around. But you, Mr. Trump, recognized that the real problem was a lack of leadership. And so ultimately, you didn't blame Lil' Jon or Meatloaf. You fired Gary Busey."

"These are the kind of decisions that would keep me up at night," the president concluded. "Well handled, sir. Well handled."

The audience roared as Trump sat, stone-faced, enduring the president's mockery.