Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

5 hours ago, Buce said:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"  - Abraham Lincoln

How apt 🤣🤣🤣

Sunak will oust him before the next election I reckon.

And if you need an indication of how well this has gone down in the tory strong holds, the daily mail comment section suggests they think his days are numbered.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

2 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

How apt 🤣🤣🤣

Sunak will oust him before the next election I reckon.

And if you need an indication of how well this has gone down in the tory strong holds, the daily mail comment section suggests they think his days are numbered.

I`m sure they are numbered, to about 2000 plus whilst Mr Starmer is the opposition I would guess.

I’m a bit surprised Labour aren’t making at least some headway in the polls considering the sleaze row. That said, I think some of it isn’t as bad as Johnson’s enemies want it to be. Take the pandemic contracts or the James Dyson stuff, for instance. I know Ian Hislop was trying to make it into a bigger thing last week but I can’t honestly say that being over-attentive to a guy who’s prioritising the country for potentially life-saving equipment at the start of a pandemic is really that damaging an idea. I look at that and think: Yeah, I’d have probably gritted my teeth and kept him sweet too, despite (or maybe because of) his hypocrisy over Brexit. Similar with the contracts-for-chums stuff: If we could get things like PPE in through any door possible, front or back, that was a positive. We couldn’t be choosy beggars at that time. As for the David Cameron stuff, I thought that recent episode showed him in a bad light more than the government - an arrogant man full of his own self-importance. As Rory Bremner always said, Cameron does a better Blair than he does.

What I think is more damaging is the more recent revelations of the PM’s conduct. Allegedly including: Flippant and unpleasant remarks, Not declaring financial interests for personal gain, and just generally looking out of control of all that’s going on around him. All of which, in my opinion, I believe. Maybe other voters don’t, or don’t think it’s important.

I’ve always felt able to put up with Johnson’s actions to an extent; I didn’t like the prorogation of parliament but I understood it framed as it was in the Brexit situation and the accompanying hostility of parliament at the time. I appreciate the colourful language he uses at times isn’t ideal but have never seen anything that I thought was especially nasty when considering its context. I’ve been willing to excuse him a lot, despite having him pegged for a long time as incompetent and lazy. But potentially lying to parliament over alleged sleaze has no excuse.

22 minutes ago, Dunge said:

I’m a bit surprised Labour aren’t making at least some headway in the polls considering the sleaze row. That said, I think some of it isn’t as bad as Johnson’s enemies want it to be. Take the pandemic contracts or the James Dyson stuff, for instance. I know Ian Hislop was trying to make it into a bigger thing last week but I can’t honestly say that being over-attentive to a guy who’s prioritising the country for potentially life-saving equipment at the start of a pandemic is really that damaging an idea. I look at that and think: Yeah, I’d have probably gritted my teeth and kept him sweet too, despite (or maybe because of) his hypocrisy over Brexit. Similar with the contracts-for-chums stuff: If we could get things like PPE in through any door possible, front or back, that was a positive. We couldn’t be choosy beggars at that time. As for the David Cameron stuff, I thought that recent episode showed him in a bad light more than the government - an arrogant man full of his own self-importance. As Rory Bremner always said, Cameron does a better Blair than he does.

What I think is more damaging is the more recent revelations of the PM’s conduct. Allegedly including: Flippant and unpleasant remarks, Not declaring financial interests for personal gain, and just generally looking out of control of all that’s going on around him. All of which, in my opinion, I believe. Maybe other voters don’t, or don’t think it’s important.

I’ve always felt able to put up with Johnson’s actions to an extent; I didn’t like the prorogation of parliament but I understood it framed as it was in the Brexit situation and the accompanying hostility of parliament at the time. I appreciate the colourful language he uses at times isn’t ideal but have never seen anything that I thought was especially nasty when considering its context. I’ve been willing to excuse him a lot, despite having him pegged for a long time as incompetent and lazy. But potentially lying to parliament over alleged sleaze has no excuse.

Does anyone know if national polls skew slightly around local elections/European elections(I think that basically happens with Lib Dem’s in 2019)? People are more likely to vote for other parties in these elections so they may answer polls with that in mind. Labour seems to do worse when the Greens poll higher and they might be polling higher because they’ll probably do well at the locals.

That being said, I think Conservative support seems solid. People don’t care who paid for some curtains o . Whether it’s in the public interest or not to care (I think it is but you can’t make people be arsed) most people will see it as a technicality, as long as they’re not paying for it (they do pay for some of it of course). I think they’ll also benefit from the fact people just want to switch off from this sort of stuff and live life now. After the shenanigans of the last 5 years, I think everyone is happy to ignore politics for a bit and after the last year, they definitely just want to enjoy life for a bit. 

There’s also the fact, some of this stuff is baked in on Boris. Like when people screech about him being a liar, many people’s response to that is that all politicians are liars, so what? The standard response of those particularly opposed the this government and PM is just to get angry at people for not agreeing with them.

The way for the polls to shift is for the Labour Party to actually start saying something and for the leader to discover a personality down the back of the sofa.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buce said:

You are a really strange man.

Why's that? There's been a major sleaze row and that's not been any shift in the polls and I posted about it.

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Why are you happy about that? The integrity of the PM is being questioned and you seem happy that people don't care. Weird.

Who says I'm happy about that? I'm pointing out that the alleged sleaze hasn't hit home with the public (yet).

Maybe people don't care as much about it as you do.

Chill out and have a picnic, chaps :thumbup:

6 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Why's that? There's been a major sleaze row and that's not been any shift in the polls and I posted about it.

Who says I'm happy about that? I'm pointing out that the alleged sleaze hasn't hit home with the public (yet).

Maybe people don't care as much about it as you do.

Chill out and have a picnic, chaps :thumbup:

But you are happy about it, right?

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

The press and media has been full of alleged Tory sleaze for a week or two.

Let's see how much difference it makes to the electorate.

Oh...........

Unwise to be celebrating the normalisation of corruption, something that rots the core of democracy.

1 minute ago, bovril said:

You're up at 1.30am posting polls which suggests that isn't true. 

I posted the earlier poll at 9.30pm. PS I don't generally go to bed until 3-4am and get up 11-12 so my timeframe is different to the norm anyway.

I can be interested in things, and post about them, without it hugely affecting my life.

Happy to clarify.

1 minute ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Unwise to be celebrating the normalisation of corruption, something that rots the core of democracy.

It's not celebrating it though. It's pointing out that maybe, just maybe, it's not as important to everyday folk as it is to those who are more deeply ingrained in the political process.

And nothing has been proved yet. Maybe it will be, maybe it won't.

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I posted the earlier poll at 9.30pm. PS I don't generally go to bed until 3-4am and get up 11-12 so my timeframe is different to the norm anyway.

I can be interested in things, and post about them, without it hugely affecting my life.

Happy to clarify.

It's not celebrating it though. It's pointing out that maybe, just maybe, it's not as important to everyday folk as it is to those who are more deeply ingrained in the political process.

And nothing has been proved yet. Maybe it will be, maybe it won't.

This all seems reminiscent of what happened under John Major in the nineties, though as far as I remember, at least it didn’t seem to involve the PM.