Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group F: Hungary, Portugal, France, Germany

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

I can understand not flagging if close, but that was miles off to be honest 

It was but if the linesman wasn't sure he did the right thing in leaving it. 

From the benefit of our angle it was obviously offside but the linesmen don't watch it from our angle, they watch it whilst sprinting up and down desperately trying to keep up with play whilst the expectation is that they somehow magically watch the line of the last defender AND the person playing the pass at the exact same time even though that's physically impossible. 

It's literally not possible with human eyes to actually call an offside. It's always been 100% guesswork through all of history until now. 

I completely and totally fully accept that there are downsides to doing it this way. The delay definitely takes away some of the drama and excitement, definitely. For sure.

But I would much, much rather that than have games of football and even whole tournament campaigns literally ruined by one shit offside call from some fat middle aged guy taking a random "educated" guess. 

1 minute ago, ttfn said:

Still stupid to put the flag up after he scored though. What’s the point? If it’s offside the VAR will pick it up anyway. Not like we have umpire’s call in football.

It's just a way of telling everyone in the stadium that the goal should immediately be checked and will be because his on field verdict was that it was probably offside. 

I've got no problem with that, I think it's the right way to do it. 

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It isn't though really is it. Its much better than the alternative which is linesmen taking a random guess and ending up flagging off legitimate goals or ignoring blatant offsides. 

It's objectively more fair and less corrupt the way it is, it's just going to time for everyone to get used to it 

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Might be off that 

Ask Finnegan