Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HybridFox

Marvel/DC

Well that's me up to date on the MCU!!!

Having comics as a kid (Secret Wars 1 & 2) & then collected as a teenager (Iron Man & West Coast Avengers), I've grown up with Marvel, but living off terrestrial TV scraps, up to 15 months ago, I'd only got part-way through phase 2.

But the Mrs got a deal on Disney+, so since then I've watched the rest of Phase 2, all Phase 3 all & Phase 4 (plus watching all 13 X-Men films, 4 Fantastic Four films, Daredevil, Electra, Punisher, Venom and a Spiderman I'd missed).

Its fair to say its a hell of a ride watching the whole thing unfold without having to wait months between episodes - the scale of what they have done with that many films is unprecedented and its been great watching some of the characters and stories play out.

Best bits
- WandaVision & Loki (this is what the comics to best - reinventing characters in new settings) and Avengers Infinity War & Endgame (just for the culmination of the sheet scale of it).
- Seeing the West Coast Avengers bought to live - Moonknight, US Agent (Falcon & Winter Soldier was meh, but then he bought the series to life & they really nailed his character)
- Love where the multiverse is starting to head with latest Spiderman & Dr Strange films & bringing in the non-Disney movie characters was genius

Worst bits
- Ms Marvel (appreciate they were going after new audiences, but it was slow and dull and unexciting), Eternals (maybe it was because they were immortal, but I just couldn't care less about what happened to any of them) & Thor: Love and Thunder (Cuddly toys with lazers coming out of their eyes? Goats? The whole god scene? Guns N' Roses? Why suddenly try and turn the MCU into a comedy? Dreadful film)
- Hawkeye (this series needed to be Hawkeye & Mockingbird - not about bl**dy Kate Bishop), the Black Panthers (Black Panther 1 villain: "White people are all evil, we need to kill them" hero: "No, we just need to avoid them". Black Panther 2 - finding a new race with a different skin colour & having a big tribal war with them seemed an odd choice) and She Hulk (I was actually really enjoying it, but that the last episode sort of made the whole thing a waste of time).

But having avoided thread so as not to get spoilers, most of the comments are similar to my views: Phase 4 has been so disjointed with so many characters and different types of stories its feeling like they are trying too hard and churning stuff out for Disney+ subscribers at the expense of quality. The result is they will be alienating both hardcore and casual fans. But on with Phase 5 now, and the slow build up to Secret Wars...!

• Like 3

For me, this was when the X-men was absolute top tier comic story telling, you already had the Proteus Saga, Dark Phoenix and Days of Future Past  stuff and this was right after the battle with Nimrod in Central Park that saw Rachel vanish and Nightcrawler severely injured and left the HellFire club in a mess....

Then towards the end of the 80s, early 90s  a major X over event that tied up a lot of story threads including the return of the Marauders from the massacre story...

Edited by ithuriel

• 2 weeks later...

Actually loved the movie, one of the best Xmen films, alongside X2 but the comics can have stuff happen you cant film and they have a larger cast of characters to choose from.

The comics of course would have a super sentinel from the future actually come back into the present, Nimrod.

Edited by ithuriel

Hmm  im way out of the loop not having collected comics since the turn of the century, mostly :D, think the only place in town that still sells them is Forbidden planet, formerly Another World.

Edited by ithuriel

Always liked this list and the Avengers one, I stopped collecting mainly mid 90s and completely stopped at the turn of the century, mostly due to inferior writing in my opinion.

Edited by ithuriel

Just found this.

This is why the movie versions of the iconic Dark Phoenix saga never works, they always start towards the end of the story and have to try and adapt it, stripping away a lot of what made it work, instead of starting at part one, they start at seven.

This is why, if the MCU were to do anything like this, it would have to be a series spread over a couple of seasons at least.

Remember reading or seeing in an interview that the editor at the time told the writers Jean could not survive this storyline due to all the deaths she was responsible for, she could no longer be a hero and X-man, the writers agreed and her death was pencilled in, then years later for the release of X-Factor a new creative team wanted to bring the character back, so they created the Phoenix force and somewhat undid the story but originally and for a decade or so, the character died and was done.

The Dark Phoenix Saga is my all time favorite X-Men storyline.

Ive always thought that for it to work, it would have to be more than a trilogy.  Maybe even a six movie deal, just because of the scope and number of characters involved.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, marbles said:

The Dark Phoenix Saga is my all time favorite X-Men storyline.

Ive always thought that for it to work, it would have to be more than a trilogy.  Maybe even a six movie deal, just because of the scope and number of characters involved.

That's why I was massively disappointed in X3 and even though the writer tried with X-men Dark Phoenix, they rushed and ruined it a second time.

You had the battle in Antarctica with Magneto, the fight to save Japan, the awesome Proteus saga where they fought Proteus across Scotland and even Phoenix was struggling with it, all the while the Hellfire club was in the background with Mastermind messing with Jeans mind.

9 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

That's why I was massively disappointed in X3 and even though the writer tried with X-men Dark Phoenix, they rushed and ruined it a second time.

You had the battle in Antarctica with Magneto, the fight to save Japan, the awesome Proteus saga where they fought Proteus across Scotland and even Phoenix was struggling with it, all the while the Hellfire club was in the background with Mastermind messing with Jeans mind.

And for me, Mastermind was the most important part of her final transformation.  He destroyed her mentally, which allowed the Phoenix to take control - how in the world can they leave that out?  More importantly, it’s not something that can be rushed.  
All of those events helped break down Jean, with the Hellfire Club being the final straw.

Its like how WB completely ignored the fact that Batman had to fight countless criminals, slowly being broken down mentally and physically, before Bane stepped up and defeated him,

Jeans transformation should not be quick, nor should it be caused by 1 or 2 things.  We should get to know her first.  Care about her, and then slowly watch her being manipulated and broken down BEFORE any mention of the Dark Phoenix

• Like 1

That's why it might be best to do a connective series in between the MCU X-movies for if they try again,  they have the comics as a template and the MCU has enough characters now, in space it would not be too hard now to introduce the Shi'ar empire, the Star Jammers, the M'Kraan crystal etc.,

• Like 1

I’ve also always thought the first MCU X-Men movies should be a trilogy with the founding members - next trilogy would be the second iteration, which would then slowly lead into Dark Phoenix.

The Starjammers, Shi’ar could be one shot specials.  I’d probably do them between trilogy 1 and 2 and then not mention them again until it was time for Lilandra to reappear.

4 minutes ago, marbles said:

I’ve also always thought the first MCU X-Men movies should be a trilogy with the founding members - next trilogy would be the second iteration, which would then slowly lead into Dark Phoenix.

The Starjammers, Shi’ar could be one shot specials.  I’d probably do them between trilogy 1 and 2 and then not mention them again until it was time for Lilandra to reappear.

Well, we can only hope they do not  alter and rush the whole story if they were to try it.

They'd need to junk off the writers for phase four for definite.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

So the new big character in the mcu has just been arrested for allegedly attacking a woman. That could possibly be the end of that. 

How to ruin your career, your bank balance, your life, and your employer's multi-billion dollar business plan with one action. Not to mention the horrors he inflicted on his victim.

Innocent until proven guilty of course though. If that's still a thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

How to ruin your career, your bank balance, your life, and your employer's multi-billion dollar business plan with one action. Not to mention the horrors he inflicted on his victim.

Innocent until proven guilty of course though. If that's still a thing.

BBC article suggests he was innocent if not the victim of the altercation with plenty of evidence to back his version of events and the "victim" had already recanted her allegations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-65081847

Interesting list, that God Loves, Man Kills was a pretty good one shot graphic novel that basically was the second Xmen movie tied in with Logans past.

Myself, I'd have had Dark Phoenix and Proteus saga's in there and Inferno, which paid off a lot of story arcs that had been brewing for years.

Edited by ithuriel

Huge news as Marvel/Disney have reacquired the rights to Spider-Man from Sony, for a reported 4.1billion dollars.

Apparently Sony and Marvel will continue working together for 5 years, with Marvel having full control over Spider-Man.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marbles said:

Huge news as Marvel/Disney have reacquired the rights to Spider-Man from Sony, for a reported 4.1billion dollars.

Apparently Sony and Marvel will continue working together for 5 years, with Marvel having full control over Spider-Man.

Marvel will dump the additional Spiderverse movies then, wonder if the ones in production will be scrapped?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Marvel will dump the additional Spiderverse movies then, wonder if the ones in production will be scrapped?

From what I understand - those are still owned by Sony for the next 5 years, and will go forward.

But, I believe they will only be doing the ones already planned - but nothing else - which should be another Venom, Madam Web, and Kraven

One thing I did forget to mention, is that Marvel can now use Spiderman characters in other projects.

They were limited to only using them in Spiderman movies - but are now free to use them however.