Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HybridFox

Marvel/DC

12 hours ago, The Bear said:

You don't actually need to watch Falcon & TWS, as all that happens is just a restatement of him becoming the new Cap at the end of Endgame. 

It was fine as a fleshing out of that decision but ultimately unnecessary. 

Uh, US Agent.  The beginning stages of Thunderbirds.  Peggy Carter.
Kinda important imo

Edited by marbles

12 minutes ago, marbles said:

Uh, US Agent.  The beginning stages of Thunderbirds.  Peggy Carter.
Kinda important imo

I couldn't really care less about US Agent or Thunderbirds right now. They're not characters that interest me in the slightest unless they feature much more heavily in future films. 

And I'd argue What If? and the cameo in MoM were much more important for Peggy and Captain Carter. 

Edited by The Bear

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

I couldn't really care less about US Agent or Thunderbirds right now. They're not characters that interest me in the slightest unless they feature much more heavily in future films. 

And I'd argue What If? and the cameo in MoM were much more important for Peggy and Captain Carter. 

Thunderbolts is a phase 5 movie.

I meant Sharon, not Peggy.  Sorry.

Edited by marbles

Superhero films have just become so meh, it used to be exciting when a new one come now they're 10 a penny and pretty much just a repackaging of the last one. 

Might just stop watching them for a couple of years and see if that ups my enjoyment of them again

7 hours ago, marbles said:

Wonder what they didn’t like about it

Honestly we'll probably never know. It either sucked as is being suggested or it's for the tax write off being theorised online. 

Either way, probably wouldn't have bothered watching it. Wasted enough time of my life on the dreadful Batwoman cw show. But really doesn't bode well for DC in general. They're really struggling getting any kind of momentum, and this financial loss must mean they're even more highly unlikely to scrap the flash on the back of ezra's shenanigans, which is just more problems done the line when he inevitably goes a step too far. 

With the general decline in comic related media being consumed, it really might just be time to pull the plug on the whole thing and take a different direction. 

9 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Honestly we'll probably never know. It either sucked as is being suggested or it's for the tax write off being theorised online. 

Either way, probably wouldn't have bothered watching it. Wasted enough time of my life on the dreadful Batwoman cw show. But really doesn't bode well for DC in general. They're really struggling getting any kind of momentum, and this financial loss must mean they're even more highly unlikely to scrap the flash on the back of ezra's shenanigans, which is just more problems done the line when he inevitably goes a step too far. 

With the general decline in comic related media being consumed, it really might just be time to pull the plug on the whole thing and take a different direction. 

I was excited when they announced Batgirl - and then I saw the costume.  It reeked of the CW - which is fine if you are a fan of those types of soap operish style shows.

Flash should be scrapped.  Ezra should not work in Hollywood for years, if ever returning.  Other actors have been shunned for less.

I think the general decline is because of two things.

First, DC movies really are very hit or miss.  They have a good one, followed by a few bad ones. 

All with different styles and tones, making it hard for fans to even know what they are walking into.

Secondly, Marvel has gotten lazy.  The vast majority of movies they made leading up to and including Endgame were  financial successes.  

No flops anywhere.  There may have been subpar movies, but they still made boatloads of money and moviegoers would still flock to the next entry.

IMO, they got to the point of thinking that anything they did would be a success, and slowly took less and less care of what they put out. 

Now the ship is so far off course, I don't think they know how to get it back on. 

I don't think "Superhero fatigue" is a thing - why is there no "Doctor Who fatigue" or "Supernatural fatigue" ?  Because fans carry the shows/movies.  If the stories are good/intriguing, others will come along for the ride and make it a hit.

No, Marvel is killing the Superhero genre by putting out subpar movies, thinking we will just buy whatever they are selling.  I am a huge Marvel fan, and didnt see Dr Strange 2 (which I love BTW) at the theaters, and still haven't seen THOR Love and Thunder yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marbles said:

I was excited when they announced Batgirl - and then I saw the costume.  It reeked of the CW - which is fine if you are a fan of those types of soap operish style shows.

Flash should be scrapped.  Ezra should not work in Hollywood for years, if ever returning.  Other actors have been shunned for less.

I think the general decline is because of two things.

First, DC movies really are very hit or miss.  They have a good one, followed by a few bad ones. 

All with different styles and tones, making it hard for fans to even know what they are walking into.

Secondly, Marvel has gotten lazy.  The vast majority of movies they made leading up to and including Endgame were  financial successes.  

No flops anywhere.  There may have been subpar movies, but they still made boatloads of money and moviegoers would still flock to the next entry.

IMO, they got to the point of thinking that anything they did would be a success, and slowly took less and less care of what they put out. 

Now the ship is so far off course, I don't think they know how to get it back on. 

I don't think "Superhero fatigue" is a thing - why is there no "Doctor Who fatigue" or "Supernatural fatigue" ?  Because fans carry the shows/movies.  If the stories are good/intriguing, others will come along for the ride and make it a hit.

No, Marvel is killing the Superhero genre by putting out subpar movies, thinking we will just buy whatever they are selling.  I am a huge Marvel fan, and didnt see Dr Strange 2 (which I love BTW) at the theaters, and still haven't seen THOR Love and Thunder yet.

The problem is there is only so much you can do in the superhero genre, which is why I enjoyed Doctor Strange 2 for doing something different and making it a superhero/horror genre. Whereas the latest Thor was just played for laughs all the way through even with cancer plots and children dying it was still a big joke and that would have been ok if it had fully embraced it, like Deadpool, but there was a serious story at the heart of it drowned out by screaming goats. Next move will be interesting as I felt Moon Knight and Ms Marvel were only ok, some interesting ideas but neither protagonist really made me care about them.

4 hours ago, Captain... said:

The problem is there is only so much you can do in the superhero genre, which is why I enjoyed Doctor Strange 2 for doing something different and making it a superhero/horror genre. Whereas the latest Thor was just played for laughs all the way through even with cancer plots and children dying it was still a big joke and that would have been ok if it had fully embraced it, like Deadpool, but there was a serious story at the heart of it drowned out by screaming goats. Next move will be interesting as I felt Moon Knight and Ms Marvel were only ok, some interesting ideas but neither protagonist really made me care about them.

That’s not really true though, is it?

There are countless great stories that were told within comics, that could still be translated to the big screen.

One of the things I would like to have seen after Endgame, was the end of the Avengers.  
Start building a new team for the next big team up movie - there are plenty to choose from.  

As for Batgirl, now I’m reading that audiences during test screenings felt that it seemed like they were watching the pilot for a tv series, rather than a big blockbuster.  

• Like 1

I'm actually thinking now that it would have been better all round in terms of quality if Marvel had finished the whole thing off at Endgame. Great conclusion, good a place a any to finish the series. Yes, some plot lines were unresolved, but they could have been left to interpretation.

Of course they were never going to because $$$ were there to be made, but there you go.

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I'm actually thinking now that it would have been better all round in terms of quality if Marvel had finished the whole thing off at Endgame. Great conclusion, good a place a any to finish the series. Yes, some plot lines were unresolved, but they could have been left to interpretation.

Of course they were never going to because $$$ were there to be made, but there you go.

I partially agree.  End the Avengers line at Endgame.

Start over new.  Introduce new characters and a different team.  Alpha Flight for one :)

4 hours ago, marbles said:

That’s not really true though, is it?

There are countless great stories that were told within comics, that could still be translated to the big screen.

One of the things I would like to have seen after Endgame, was the end of the Avengers.  
Start building a new team for the next big team up movie - there are plenty to choose from.  

As for Batgirl, now I’m reading that audiences during test screenings felt that it seemed like they were watching the pilot for a tv series, rather than a big blockbuster.  

There are, but comics have time and space to build characters and stories. I don't think anyone wants another 10 origin story films to build up to a new avengers. I think that was part of the problem with Moon Knight and Ms Marvel origin stories are just so formulaic. They way they handled Spiderman in the MCU was much better. Same with Jelena, female Hawkeye, Sylvie they were incorporated into the universe through other stories and it didn't feel like an origin story.

• Like 1

Marvel never had any reason to finish up with Endgame, and that has nothing to do with money. They have barely scratched the surface of the storyline and characters in the comics they have available to them. 

And they are building new teams to replace Avengers, there are loads that they can do, in any way they want. It takes time to do it properly though. 

And there's no way they're just going to ditch the original Avengers characters left, the characters that made their franchise what it is and that people know, love and are attached to. It would be stupendously stupid. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Marvel never had any reason to finish up with Endgame, and that has nothing to do with money. They have barely scratched the surface of the storyline and characters in the comics they have available to them. 

And they are building new teams to replace Avengers, there are loads that they can do, in any way they want. It takes time to do it properly though. 

And there's no way they're just going to ditch the original Avengers characters left, the characters that made their franchise what it is and that people know, love and are attached to. It would be stupendously stupid. 

Fair points - perhaps I'm being overly critical.

18 hours ago, The Bear said:

Not really.  Put them away for a few years while building up something new.

Maybe even build up XMen the same way with individual movies before they come together.  Make it known the stories take place in another reality where the Avengers never existed.  Then once established, you have a giant XMen/Avengers crossover.   
Instead, if you keep going with “Avengers”, you run the risk of the general audience going “same old, same old.  Not interested”.  
Where if you shelved them, people could become invested in a new team without getting burned out.   Plus they would be excited even more when they returned.

Just my opinion.

Edited by marbles

12 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Isn't that what they're doing? The next official Avengers film won't be until 2025.

And I dare say the Avengers line up in that movie will be very different anyway so won’t feel much like Endgame. Don’t really understand what that poster is getting at, Marvel are basically doing everything that poster is saying

Sorry, but IMO that’s not what they’re doing.

They are building towards the next Avengers movie.  

The majority of everything on the slate is building towards more Avengers, minus a few exceptions (FF, Thunderbolts, Blade)

The Marvels

Guardians of The Galaxy

Black Panther

Loki

Ant Man

Captain America

Iron Heart

Look, I’ll still watch them.  I love Marvel.  I just know there is so much more out there that they could be exploring.  If you’re happy with Avengers until everyone is sick of them, that’s fine.  But once we’re at that point, that’s it.  The ride will be over.

Edited by marbles

2 hours ago, Samilktray said:

And I dare say the Avengers line up in that movie will be very different anyway so won’t feel much like Endgame. Don’t really understand what that poster is getting at, Marvel are basically doing everything that poster is saying

I’m saying build to something else besides Avengers.  What else are they building to?

On 07/08/2022 at 09:33, marbles said:

Sorry, but IMO that’s not what they’re doing.

They are building towards the next Avengers movie.  

The majority of everything on the slate is building towards more Avengers, minus a few exceptions (FF, Thunderbolts, Blade)

The Marvels

Guardians of The Galaxy

Black Panther

Loki

Ant Man

Captain America

Iron Heart

Look, I’ll still watch them.  I love Marvel.  I just know there is so much more out there that they could be exploring.  If you’re happy with Avengers until everyone is sick of them, that’s fine.  But once we’re at that point, that’s it.  The ride will be over.

It doesn't really matter which superhero the story is about as long as the story is good and has something interesting to say. Whilst both the latest Spiderman and Doctor Strange were enjoyable films there was still some very questionable elements art the heart of the story. Peter Parker interrupting a stupid spell because his friends didn't get into Uni and Wanda wanting to find her imaginary children (I'm allowing that just as the scarlet witch is a separate entity that latched onto those feelings to manipulate Wanda). As for Thor that was just crap. 

You can pick any existing superhero in the MCU and write an interesting coherent film around and progress that character and develop the universe and people will be happy.

Edited by Captain...