Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Golden Fox

Football Kits 2022/23

On 17/07/2022 at 16:26, Samilktray said:

831231A4-1C54-4D55-9E1C-89ECF0E472AE.jpeg

Delivered to the Cobblers club shop today and saw this in person.

Can confirm it is a work of art.

Love Hummel kits.

Would really like to see a reworking of that classic late 80's Denmark shirt. Think Southampton wore one very similar to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

That Arsenal shirt is enough to make a man Create Iconic, why do they get such relentlessly nice gear season after season  

I’d spend so much money on club clobber if I was an arsenal fan, Infact If I win the lottery I’ll disappear and re-emerge an arsenal fan I think 

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Delivered to the Cobblers club shop today and saw this in person.

Can confirm it is a work of art.

Love Hummel kits.

Would really like to see a reworking of that classic late 80's Denmark shirt. Think Southampton wore one very similar to it.

Funny how tastes differ...

if we're talking 15 years ago before every team and their mum had a pink kit, that would be going down in history with the Coventry brown kit as one of the worst of all time. :revenge:

But the late 80's Denmark shirt??? one of the best of all time :schmike:

My interest in football shirts really started with my Subbuteo catalogue back in 1988 - I spent hours looking through all the kits and what seeing what teams they were, and in their glory, we had Denmark (638), Southampton (660), Villa (658) and Coventry (659) - although only Denmark had the guts to full on with the shorts!!! (Although actually they didn't go through with those shorts in reality... https://museumofjerseys.com/2018/01/04/midweek-mashup-denmark-at-the-1986-world-cup/)

image.png.d618369cf437dd669160a868fca1f5ae.png 

There has been belter after belter from Hummel recently (they do the local Cambridge shirts) - and they would be a massive upgrade on Adidas - but they do come out with the odd shocker and have to disagree and say that Northampton thing is one of them! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Funny how tastes differ...

if we're talking 15 years ago before every team and their mum had a pink kit, that would be going down in history with the Coventry brown kit as one of the worst of all time. :revenge:

But the late 80's Denmark shirt??? one of the best of all time :schmike:

My interest in football shirts really started with my Subbuteo catalogue back in 1988 - I spent hours looking through all the kits and what seeing what teams they were, and in their glory, we had Denmark (638), Southampton (660), Villa (658) and Coventry (659) - although only Denmark had the guts to full on with the shorts!!! (Although actually they didn't go through with those shorts in reality... https://museumofjerseys.com/2018/01/04/midweek-mashup-denmark-at-the-1986-world-cup/)

image.png.d618369cf437dd669160a868fca1f5ae.png 

There has been belter after belter from Hummel recently (they do the local Cambridge shirts) - and they would be a massive upgrade on Adidas - but they do come out with the odd shocker and have to disagree and say that Northampton thing is one of them! 

You absolutely know your stuff!

Kits are subjective though, always have been, always will be. Down to personal taste.

We can definitely agree on those great Hummel kits, I actually forgot that Coventry and Villa had the same! All time classics.

Today, we'd say "same template, lazy"

I seem to remember the Dutch Euro 88 kit being devisive at the time, now seen as a classic!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

You absolutely know your stuff!

Kits are subjective though, always have been, always will be. Down to personal taste.

We can definitely agree on those great Hummel kits, I actually forgot that Coventry and Villa had the same! All time classics.

Today, we'd say "same template, lazy"

I seem to remember the Dutch Euro 88 kit being devisive at the time, now seen as a classic!

I think templates get a bad rep: I don't think there is too much wrong with different teams in different countries sharing templates - but they need to be a statement...

I think of things like the Adidas kits, where there was something different, but it was like being part of a an exclusive club - and I think sharing the design across home and away (and for a 2 year cycle) made it special & less disposable:

image.png.a19e77d79f8f85d585c6d0e87fc5c263.png

Looking at these Adidas kits, and now thinking about what we get from Adidas - over a 2 year period, we need 6 Adidas kits with no attempt to mirror home and away kits, so its a numbers game and it just feels like we just get variations of boring templates - they feel lazy because they are! If Adidas could come up with 4 or 5 statement designs & they lasted for 2 years, people would welcome these templates.

The only Adidas kit that we've had that has had anything other than 3 stripes in the design was our first white one which was an obvious template:

image.png.299858548f3910dea9be2d224b023bad.png

I know we shared  this with Birmingham & think it would probably have looked better with one of the blocks of colour being gold - but this felt like something different & unusual.

I guess I just feel like Hummel are pushing the boundaries and trying things that are different and trying to recognise clubs histories whereas Adidas really are just being lazy with recouloured templates....to me, its not about the fact it is a template but trying to do something other than just put 3 stripes on it, and I'm bored of it now!

• Like 2

The Adidas kits you posted above would've been very early 90's I think. 

Possibly 92 as they were used in Euro 92.

Adidas did add more designs for the next couple of tournaments in 94 and 96, although still similar, they added different twists for each country.

Again, regarded as classics now, although all the same.

And that white kit we had, that we shared with Birmingham City and Lyon, is one of my favourites!

I think we even shared the camo pattern with Lyon's away kit in red last season.

• Like 1

What's your favourite Leicester kit @Golden Fox? And your favourite non Leicester kits?

I'd have to go for the Bukta range 90-92 for my favourite Leicester kits. Home and away were sensational.

I think even they were a shared template with Bristol City!

And we definitely had the same training wear as Crystal Palace. 

Those shell suits were beautiful, but you could tell who's mum was good at washing if the colours didn't run. Thanks mum!

7 hours ago, tom27111 said:

What's your favourite Leicester kit @Golden Fox? And your favourite non Leicester kits?

I'd have to go for the Bukta range 90-92 for my favourite Leicester kits. Home and away were sensational.

I think even they were a shared template with Bristol City!

And we definitely had the same training wear as Crystal Palace. 

Those shell suits were beautiful, but you could tell who's mum was good at washing if the colours didn't run. Thanks mum!

Don't necessarily have individual favourites, but I like something that recognises history, but has something that sets a shirt apart to make it unique, but isn't so whacky it can then be used for home/away kits, so as a period, but as a period, the whole time from 1990 onwards where we had blue home & mirrored these with yellow & white away/thirds gave us a strong sense of identity.

But for individual kits, top few are the 1983-85 home & away double pinstripes, the 1996-98 home/away/third, and the black with light blue sash (& its white version in my avatar). Probably my favourite one-off is the Puma white with pinstripes.

Non-Leicester kits are those clubs that have unique looks - e.g. Boca Juniors, Monaco, Inter Milan, Flamengo, Croatia where you have a classic colour combination that is instantly recognisable, but can then be tweaked:

So I love things like Real Vallecano & Barcelona bringing their badges into the the kit but keeping to their history.

image.png.fc9db6322c50237650a4f233427ccc7b.png

And if you have a strong look, such as the Flamengo red & black hoops, having a white away kit with blocks of red & black can gives a good scope to play around with. None of these individually a favourite, but its the common design themes through the years.

image.thumb.png.e811acdcd9f2ddff84078f557b657173.png

It felt like we were heading in that direction with Puma with a lot of white away kits with bits of blue in different variations, but after that first one, we've lost that sense of continuity.

3 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

Don't necessarily have individual favourites, but I like something that recognises history, but has something that sets a shirt apart to make it unique, but isn't so whacky it can then be used for home/away kits, so as a period, but as a period, the whole time from 1990 onwards where we had blue home & mirrored these with yellow & white away/thirds gave us a strong sense of identity.

But for individual kits, top few are the 1983-85 home & away double pinstripes, the 1996-98 home/away/third, and the black with light blue sash (& its white version in my avatar). Probably my favourite one-off is the Puma white with pinstripes.

Non-Leicester kits are those clubs that have unique looks - e.g. Boca Juniors, Monaco, Inter Milan, Flamengo, Croatia where you have a classic colour combination that is instantly recognisable, but can then be tweaked:

So I love things like Real Vallecano & Barcelona bringing their badges into the the kit but keeping to their history.

image.png.fc9db6322c50237650a4f233427ccc7b.png

And if you have a strong look, such as the Flamengo red & black hoops, having a white away kit with blocks of red & black can gives a good scope to play around with. None of these individually a favourite, but its the common design themes through the years.

image.thumb.png.e811acdcd9f2ddff84078f557b657173.png

It felt like we were heading in that direction with Puma with a lot of white away kits with bits of blue in different variations, but after that first one, we've lost that sense of continuity.

Boca and Monaco are great shouts, very individual kits, I'd probably add Ajax to that too. Iconic.

Man City have bought back the red and black stripes, did that originate from the 69 cup final? Or is there more behind it?

20220719_123140.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Boca and Monaco are great shouts, very individual kits, I'd probably add Ajax to that too. Iconic.

Man City have bought back the red and black stripes, did that originate from the 69 cup final? Or is there more behind it?

20220719_123140.jpg

Ugh, don't like that. Mainly because I'm not a fan of red and black though. (for a red and black kit, it's pretty good)

Just now, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Ugh, don't like that. Mainly because I'm not a fan of red and black though. (for a red and black kit, it's pretty good)

Iconic in their history though, with a modern twist.

This is why we need a burgundy kit every few years as a nod to history.

Man City actually do it quite well. They'll have the black and red and also a burgundy of their own to keep it historical.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Iconic in their history though, with a modern twist.

This is why we need a burgundy kit every few years as a nod to history.

Man City actually do it quite well. They'll have the black and red and also a burgundy of their own to keep it historical.

Should do burgundy every five years on from 2021. Amazed the club haven't made more of it in terms of merch since we won.

3 hours ago, tom27111 said:

20220719_123140.jpg

Apparently they copied the idea of AC in the 60s guess it took till 69 to work 🤕

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Should do burgundy every five years on from 2021. Amazed the club haven't made more of it in terms of merch since we won.

There's definitely a huge market for a replica of that kit coming back out ASAP.

Also just some plain polo's embroidered with the match, date etc as would have been on the players shirts would be so much better than the cheap looking t-shirts they offered IMO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bayfox said:

Apparently they copied the idea of AC in the 60s guess it took till 69 to work 🤕

Juve copied Notts County. Worked out well for one of them lol

But thanks for the back story. 

Didn't Leeds switch to look like Real Madrid too?

• Haha 1

Just now, tom27111 said:

Juve copied Notts County. Worked out well for one of them lol

But thanks for the back story. 

Didn't Leeds switch to look like Real Madrid too?

Not much of a back story lol just what I'd read.

Think everyone has heard the notts County one, no idea if that's about as truthful as Robin Hood mind and has just become urban folklore lol

52 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Not much of a back story lol just what I'd read.

Think everyone has heard the notts County one, no idea if that's about as truthful as Robin Hood mind and has just become urban folklore lol

We don't have a lot to brag about, so bugger off!

:D

10 hours ago, Samilktray said:

625A1B2D-2FF3-4B25-B5D8-D8B7C534D542.jpeg

Very nice. Just seen the white one too. For the first time in years I’m going to be buying a football shirt for myself. Just don’t know which one yet. 

• Like 1

Every so often, a shirt come along which makes you question why you have an interest in football shirts... 

image.png.9a4a47f65bc7e030aaa14eab378aafcd.png

It looks like the sort of things primary school teams would have worn 30 years ago.

Its not like there is anything you can find fault with, but it looks like it came from a catalogue under "football shirt: red and white stripes with black trim" and it feels like any visual interest or excitement about a shirt is just completely lacking.

Or is it just me? 

• Like 1