Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

The Remarkable Story Behind One Filbert Street Photo

Guest David Oldfields Gate

Brilliant! Well done and thanks for sharing. I love the old ground photos. 

Serves to remind us of all those that have gone before and how everything is just fleeting moments.

Up the city.

The Kop should've been made into a huge terrace instead of building the Double Decker on top. I think that might've been the original plan. Fossils & Foxes records that another Double Decker was due to be built on the Pop Side in the early 1930's that was designed by the same architect that did Upton Park. Sadly, the plan was scrapped when the club fell on hard times. Had that gone ahead we might still be playing at a revamped Filbert Street now. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Palace theatre ?:dunno:

Think you're right. The Palace had twice nightly performances starting at 7 and 9 o'clock. The times on the Kop were likely have been when the doors opened. Interesting article below about the place. Chaplin, Buster Keaton and Will Hay performed there. People must have been as sad when it was demolished as when Filbert Street was. 

http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/LeicesterTheatres/PalaceTheatreLeicester.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, enmac said:

Think you're right. The Palace had twice nightly performances starting at 7 and 9 o'clock. The times on the Kop were likely have been when the doors opened. Interesting article below about the place. Chaplin, Buster Keaton and Will Hay performed there. People must have been as sad when it was demolished as when Filbert Street was. 

http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/LeicesterTheatres/PalaceTheatreLeicester.htm

That was an amazing building!

• Like 2

Wow.

I always enjoy your thread's @kushiro, reminded me of Graham Cross' career, who is surely our county's greatest sportsman - winning our maiden major honour as well as the Benson & Hedges cup for County too.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I played cricket with Cross once as a youngster playing for my dads team, he’d sometimes turn out for them. If I remember correctly he played wicket keeper. I particularly enjoyed him and the team captain putting off the batsman. The captain would gurn and pull faces as the bowler ran in. lol 

I was young and shy and star struck so didn’t speak to him but just enjoyed being in the presence of a Leicester legend.

• Like 2