Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Referee - Srdjan Jovanovic (vs Roma)

The semi final should be overseen by some of the top 20 or so refs in the jurisdiction - people who operate in the top tier leagues every week.

And if they don't already, they should hold a conference before the competition at which they and the governing body decide upon and publish their intentions around the 'tone' of the officiating and the type of play they want to encourage, to try and get some consistency of refereeing across the tournament.

Edited by Bourbon Fox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Whiner said:

Serbia aren’t in the EU….. just saying🤷‍♂️

Shit you're right, scrap that theory then.

Unless maybe Serbia really wants to be in the Euro gang, so are trying to look pro European by employing refs that are flexible in their morals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Heskey2011 said:

Unless maybe Serbia really wants to be in the Euro gang, so are trying to look pro European by employing refs that are flexible in their morals.

I think that you might be overthinking this :D

57 minutes ago, Heskey2011 said:

Bad European refs, sorry if this offends anyone, this is brexits fault.

As a country we've said we don't want to be in the Europe gang anymore and being honest if I was a continental European (a ref for example) i wouldn't like that attitude very much.

Why the remainers weren't touting potential bias in European football as a negative impact of brexit I will never understand.

Lol Serbia is probably more anti EU than we are. They are however very anti UK especially after 1999. Doubt that made a difference on Thursday

1 hour ago, Heskey2011 said:

Quite the opposite. Serbia is one of the few European countries what looks East rather than West to the EU

4 hours ago, Heskey2011 said:

Bad European refs, sorry if this offends anyone, this is brexits fault.

As a country we've said we don't want to be in the Europe gang anymore and being honest if I was a continental European (a ref for example) i wouldn't like that attitude very much.

Why the remainers weren't touting potential bias in European football as a negative impact of brexit I will never understand.

I'll assume this is satire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Tbf it doesn’t really apply here because the referee on VAR was German 

Then I regret the fact that I lapsed into a form of racism and openly  apologise to any Serbians. I think my point about choosing refs from less intense leagues is true to an extent, but maybe I have to just consider incompetence as the answer in this case. Smalling was unfairly preventing Fofana attacking the goal. The Guardian correspondent didn't spot it either apparently as his article ommitted to mention it!

I understand what you're all saying guys, so if it's not Brexit, it must be something to do with Corbyn and/or pronouns ?

On 07/05/2022 at 21:34, Whiner said:

Serbia aren’t in the EU….. just saying🤷‍♂️

On 07/05/2022 at 22:45, Cardiff_Fox said:

Quite the opposite. Serbia is one of the few European countries what looks East rather than West to the EU

On 08/05/2022 at 08:17, gerblod said:

Then I regret the fact that I lapsed into a form of racism and openly  apologise to any Serbians. I think my point about choosing refs from less intense leagues is true to an extent, but maybe I have to just consider incompetence as the answer in this case. Smalling was unfairly preventing Fofana attacking the goal. The Guardian correspondent didn't spot it either apparently as his article ommitted to mention it!

Since when were Serbians a race? 

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Since when were Serbians a race? 

Since when were any distinguishably separate ethnic group not a race? I'll admit Serbs aren't necessarily genetically so different from Croatians and Bosnians, but their written language, religious beliefs and history indicate a degree of separateness from the peoples surrounding them. Their national identity is very strong - centred on a historic battle against Ottoman aggression at Kosovo in 1389. 

Or did you mean some other racial grouping...like Slav?

• Like 1

This is a bit overblown. He wasn’t that bad. Got a few things wrong, but that’s football. 

He’s obviously the sort of ref who likes to ‘let things go’ (unlike us Leicester fans :ph34r:) and he did so for both sides. 

We lost the game because we conceded a goal and we were unable to score a goal - it’s no more complicated than that.

9 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

This is a bit overblown. He wasn’t that bad. Got a few things wrong, but that’s football. 

He’s obviously the sort of ref who likes to ‘let things go’ (unlike us Leicester fans :ph34r:) and he did so for both sides. 

We lost the game because we conceded a goal and we were unable to score a goal - it’s no more complicated than that.

I think it was a fairly typical performance for a European tournament ref - you expect to get 50/50 calls at home. Probably more disappointed with the even handedness of the guy we had at our place who allowed too many bookable challenges to go …….

3 hours ago, gerblod said:

Since when were any distinguishably separate ethnic group not a race? I'll admit Serbs aren't necessarily genetically so different from Croatians and Bosnians, but their written language, religious beliefs and history indicate a degree of separateness from the peoples surrounding them. Their national identity is very strong - centred on a historic battle against Ottoman aggression at Kosovo in 1389. 

Or did you mean some other racial grouping...like Slav?

Only ever passed through the region on a train, regular week day.

The atmosphere reminded me of a cross channel ferry during the Euros. Groups of Millwall, Leeds  and Chelsea wandering about, eyeing each other up and occasional Liverpool and  Portsmouth fans etc, hiding behind newspapers.

I think most of the regular train passengers removed any Kosovo 1389, or similar, pins and badges.

I hope the present situation does not reignite all that shiite.......

As for how that effects the bias of said referee and Brexit influencies........

I know just one Serbian and he prefers the Bundesliga, is an avid flat earther and has only 4 fingers. Not encouraging

• Like 1