Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Boubakary Soumare

4 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We spent £20m on him and he'd just won the league in France, he's not going to join a PL side for any less than £50k pw as a minimum.

One website says £83k, one £56k and one £99k 

Everyone wants to play in the PL, depends on how many other teams were seriously interested in buying and also on what he was on before at Lilles.

5 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We spent £20m on him and he'd just won the league in France, he's not going to join a PL side for any less than £50k pw as a minimum.

One website says £83k, one £56k and one £99k 

Which just goes to show no one knows what these guy are on...but I very much doubt he is on more than £65k, and I would bet it is closer to 50. French clubs generally don't pay that much, so you don't have to give then a huge boost to double their salaries. 

How many new signings have gone out on loan after a tricky first year and have come back to secure a place in the team? Cant think of one, Mendy at a push perhaps. Therefore would prefer we persist with him for another year. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

How many new signings have gone out on loan after a tricky first year and have come back to secure a place in the team? Cant think of one, Mendy at a push perhaps. Therefore would prefer we persist with him for another year. 

I don't think Soumare going on loan would be about getting him back in a year; I think it would just mean we couldn't find a buyer and had to settle for a loan.

2 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I don't think Soumare going on loan would be about getting him back in a year; I think it would just mean we couldn't find a buyer and had to settle for a loan.

I'd hope we're not giving up that easily on him. Doesnt bode well for signings of other young players in the future. 

• Like 2

Surely the answer is to simply ask him. If his problems have been off field then theres every chance he's over them now, or there's the distinct possibility he isn't and never will be. It all depends on what they were. A sit down with the manager and/or Top to get to the root of things will outline wether hes someone to persist with or it he should get himself a new club.  That's something that surely been looked at and we're working from there. But it's not something fans will get wind of really. 

That or Brendan thinks he's shi...

1 minute ago, lgfualol said:

I'd hope we're not giving up that easily on him. Doesnt bode well for signings of other young players in the future. 

I think our track record with young signings is pretty darn good. You can focus on someone not making it from Lille, or look at a Fofana or Justin.

We aren't even sure if there aren't other issues at play: Language, culture, family problems...where he just couldn't settle.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Everyone wants to play in the PL, depends on how many other teams were seriously interested in buying and also on what he was on before at Lilles.

Because of  the money that’s in the prem. We pay significantly higher wages.

22 minutes ago, MPH said:

Because of  the money that’s in the prem. We pay significantly higher wages.

Doesn't mean we brought in a young player from abroad (when there is every chance they may fail) on £60k a week let alone £93k a week.

If he wants to come to the PL and we are the only team to actually move for him and he's lets say currently on £15k a week why on earth would you give him such a huge payrise?

Surely you'd double his pay to £30k a week with a payrise (hopefully earned) each season until he's on 'our' avearge.

13 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Doesn't mean we brought in a young player from abroad (when there is every chance they may fail) on £60k a week let alone £93k a week.

If he wants to come to the PL and we are the only team to actually move for him and he's lets say currently on £15k a week why on earth would you give him such a huge payrise?

Surely you'd double his pay to £30k a week with a payrise (hopefully earned) each season until he's on 'our' avearge.

From the perspective of him and his agent, they'd likely point to what we currently hand out to fringe players like Choudhury, Praet, Mendy and Perez and ask why a regular for the Ligue 1 champions should expect to be paid considerably less

4 minutes ago, Guest said:

From the perspective of him and his agent, they'd likely point to what we currently hand out to fringe players like Choudhury, Praet, Mendy and Perez and ask why a regular for the Ligue 1 champions should expect to be paid considerably less

To which you reply 'salaries are dropping, some of them have more experience and have played PL and we're offering more than anyone else and double what you're now on'.

You'd never bring your salaries down if you keep matching what you are currently paying.

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

And that's where the agent earns his money, or we lose out on a player that we've invested a lot of time scouting and negotiating for. 

Why?

If we've doubled his current salary and no other PL made a credible bidd what are his options?

If I move to a new job (the only alternative to my currently poorly paid one) and they offer to double my salary I'm not going to turn it down just because I'm not earning as much as anyone else. After I've proved myself I'd expect them to raise my salary accordingly.

Edited by hackneyfox

1 minute ago, hackneyfox said:

How will we ever reduce what we pay in salaries if we don't play hardball with players? Carry on paying the average to new, unproven, young players then you'll never drop to 70% of turnover. 

Exactly why this summer is going to be a difficult one for the club

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

we weren’t the only club after him. We’ll never know how many clubs were, of course but he’ll most likely have a Base salary and some bonuses based on club achievements and a win bonus of course. Plus the signing on fee is often paid in monthly installments and I suppose different publications calculate things differently 

4 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

To which you reply 'salaries are dropping, some of them have more experience and have played PL and we're offering more than anyone else and double what you're now on'.

You'd never bring your salaries down if you keep matching what you are currently paying.

Nor would we be able to to compete with other clubs, Premier League or otherwise, for good young players if we're offering them 20-30k a week. I doubt Madueke or De Ketelaere are on any more than Soumare was at Lille but I'm pretty confident if we approached them and their people with that sort of money they would politely tell us where to stick it.

1 minute ago, Guest said:

Nor would we be able to to compete with other clubs, Premier League or otherwise, for good young players if we're offering them 20-30k a week. I doubt Madueke or De Ketelaere are on any more than Soumare was at Lille but I'm pretty confident if we approached them and their people with that sort of money they would politely tell us where to stick it.

Not if we are the only club interested.

2 hours ago, foxpleasure said:

Very unhappy

We can only speculate what the 'personal problems' were last season and why he always looked unhappy playing. You're trying to prove a point to me when there's nothing I'd like more than the player to succeed for us, but if we want to move him on I guess there's a reason 

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

See out his contract at Lille and wait for another side who will pay that and give him a signing on fee, too, in place of the transfer fee spent on him. I might be wrong, but pretty sure he had a year left on his deal at Lille when we signed him. Failing that, I'm sure another side would have come in for him with one year left on his deal, anyway. Man U, Chelsea and Newcastle were all heavily linked 18 months before. 

Like I said as well, it's also where the agents do what they're employed to do - they're not there just to settle for better than the last contract, they're always going to try to get the best possible deal for their clients. 

Going round in circles here. they may have been linked but clearly didn't follow up on that or he's likely be Man U or Chelsea now (unless he'ss a very bright kid and relised they could have been the end of his career).

2 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

We can only speculate what the 'personal problems' were last season and why he always looked unhappy playing. You're trying to prove a point to me when there's nothing I'd like more than the player to succeed for us, but if we want to move him on I guess there's a reason 

Not everyone runs around with a Daka/ Tielemans smile on their face.

Plenty of miserable looking players around who I'm sure are enjoying themselves. Unfortunately if you're black and look miserable you'll get accused of having an 'attitude problem'.

Not if we are the only club interested.

Even then, they would expect - not unreasonably I don't think - to be offered a salary commensurate with the transfer fee, their status as (presumably) regulars for a top-half Premier League team and their ability relative to some of the average-at-best players we already give big money to.

As you say above, I don't think we're getting anywhere fast so I'll leave it there.

Plenty of miserable looking players around who I'm sure are enjoying themselves. Unfortunately if you're black and look miserable you'll get accused of having an 'attitude problem'.

Now that I agree with.

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

It's not going round in circles - you asked why and I answered. Newcastle also had a bid rejected. 

So Newcastl had a bid rejected, Man U and Chelsea clearly decided not to follow up on their 'reported' interest so we're his last option. At that point you don't have to match what Newcastle/Man U or Chelsea offered.

2 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Are you putting words in my mouth? I've never said he had an attitude problem, I said it was likely he's unhappy here. He was said to be having personal problems.