Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The boy Linacre

Birmingham Commonwealth Games

Thought I'd float this one on as it will keep us occupied till the start of the League season.

Will be a sports fest to be enjoyed, hope your all looking forward to the Bowls!!!

Then again I'd ask anybody looking, where can you park at The "Rioch" Coventry for the Rugby 7's Sunday morning, parked there a couple of times for concerts, but been a while.

Also anybody know Birmingham well?  Going to the Athletics morning of the Brentford game (awful move of day!!!), where can you park near Alexandra Stadium, to give me any chance of getting back for 2nd half, Athletics finishes at 1.15pm.

I thought about going to this, but the fact you had to pay up-front, then be put in to a ballot for tickets pissed me right off and I didn't bother.

I'd love to go to the velodrome and watch the cycling, like thousands of others, so why should I pay for it and only have a slim chance of getting tickets?

Register, give bank details, cards charged on successful ballot result, surely?

If your card is rejected, it goes to the next person in the ballot. 

Then I see they're advertising on TV to shift tickets, probably for the less popular sports in all fairness.

I'll watch some stuff on TV.

There will be some fine athletes participating across all sports, but hardly the Olympics. 

Even the world athletics were very poorly attended in Eugene last week, which is pretty sad.

6 hours ago, The boy Linacre said:

Thought I'd float this one on as it will keep us occupied till the start of the League season.

Will be a sports fest to be enjoyed, hope your all looking forward to the Bowls!!!

Then again I'd ask anybody looking, where can you park at The "Rioch" Coventry for the Rugby 7's Sunday morning, parked there a couple of times for concerts, but been a while.

Also anybody know Birmingham well?  Going to the Athletics morning of the Brentford game (awful move of day!!!), where can you park near Alexandra Stadium, to give me any chance of getting back for 2nd half, Athletics finishes at 1.15pm.

I had the opposite - if the match hadn’t been moved I would have missed it! 

there’s going to be loads of restrictions on parking in the local area, and they are setting up park and ride instead. If you go on the website there’s a travel planner and you can see the options available, but think your best bet might be something like parkonmydrive and find a local person renting out their driveway. I imagine there will be independent places also offering out their car parks on the day, but depends if you want to risk it. I am heading there on the 3rd so can report back, if it helps. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Even the world athletics were very poorly attended in Eugene last week, which is pretty sad.

That was always a strange decision by the IAAF to go to Eugene - without even having a bidding competition. I guess it was some sort of tucky deal with Nike who have their origins in Eugene?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

That was always a strange decision by the IAAF to go to Eugene - without even having a bidding competition. I guess it was some sort of tucky deal with Nike who have their origins in Eugene?

Plus the USA hadn’t hosted a World Championships before ..

18 hours ago, rachhere said:

I had the opposite - if the match hadn’t been moved I would have missed it! 

there’s going to be loads of restrictions on parking in the local area, and they are setting up park and ride instead. If you go on the website there’s a travel planner and you can see the options available, but think your best bet might be something like parkonmydrive and find a local person renting out their driveway. I imagine there will be independent places also offering out their car parks on the day, but depends if you want to risk it. I am heading there on the 3rd so can report back, if it helps. 

Great 👍 

1 hour ago, Heathrow fox said:

That’s mad

Not really sure why tbh .

Obviously weren’t offering enough money when China/Russia and Qatar hosted!

Also  it’s because they had the Olympics in 84 and 96 and the Athletics organisers wanted to give others smaller countries a chance like Sweden (95 ) Germany (93)  and Canada (01)

Edited by Super_horns
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Not really sure why tbh .

Obviously weren’t offering enough money when China/Russia and Qatar hosted!

Also  it’s because they had the Olympics in 84 and 96 and the Athletics organisers wanted to give others smaller countries a chance like Sweden (95 ) Germany (93)  and Canada (01)

Make’s sense

I think the Commonwealth games are quite nice.  A bit quirky, but in this world of death and destruction, it makes a pleasant change to have a happy event, where everyone seems genuinely pleased to be there.  They're not called "the friendly games" for nothing.   Ok, so it doesn't feature the big horrible boys, but that's only like having the FA Cup without Man Utd and Liverpool.  What's not to like?

And by the looks of it, they are leading the way, by having a fully-integrated para sports agenda.   And also equality with mens vs womens event ... more so actually, as I think there are more medals available for women.

And the general principle of The Commonwelath is quite cute.   Basically a club of countries which mostly had some historical ties, but it's totally easy going.  It's really just about old "friends".

If you want to leave it, like the Republic of Ireland.  Fine.   
If you leave it, and then re-join it like South Africa.  Fine.
If you want to join it, and you never had any major links to Britain in the first place like Mozambique or Rwanda.  Fine.

• Like 4

Just now, Lionator said:

The crash in the cycling was absolutely horrific. Genuinely fearing the worst from the video I’ve just seen. 

Horrific isn't it, honestly such a freak crash, you just have to hope and pray for the cyclists and spectators involved. 

You'd imagine there'll be some changes to the barrier systems in future 

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Horrific isn't it, honestly such a freak crash, you just have to hope and pray for the cyclists and spectators involved. 

You'd imagine there'll be some changes to the barrier systems in future 

The only good things are that it appears no members of the crowd were seriously injured, and Walls wasn’t going anywhere near top speed.