Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group D: France, Australia, Denmark, Tunisia

2 minutes ago, TK95 said:

This will be another bit of an upset if Denmark don't win

Only if you bought in to the hype of them as "dark horses" which I'm pretty sure is just off the back of them drastically over performing at the Euros.

I love Denmark and the Danish people, I'm not on the wind up, I know there's a few on here. But they're not exactly flushed with quality all over the park are they? If their team was a Premier League side then it'd scream "mid-table plodders" all over the park. Real lack of potency up top in particular. 

They all rallied around the Eriksen illness in the Euros, it clearly galvanized them and they were definitely a squad having a moment in that tournament but beyond that, eh. 

Tunisia are exactly the sort of team I'd expect them to struggle with, Denmark are better on paper but Tunisia are going to graft, be fairly well organized, put a shift in and be hard to break down. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stinky said:

Possibly a dumb question but why did Denmark lose their corner after that check? lol

How very bizarre. If it’s a penalty check then now can you then give a free kick to Tunisia? Also I think that’s a penalty.

1 minute ago, Rain King said:

Looks like the ref deemed the push by the Danish player before the handball to be a foul. Which I thought it was to be fair.

Yeah but the the check is for a penalty... Surely they can't go back that far and go hold on there was a foul before it too? That's not what VAR is for

8 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

The game resets essentially - like if the ball hits the ref. And if that occurs in the 18 yard box, it’s the defending teams ball. 

So the attacking side lost out from the review ?  Say they had been awarded a free kick on the edge of the box ?  They lose that ? Seems ridiculous - the ref didn’t stop the game to review - he waited until the ball was dead 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

So the attacking side lost out from the review ?  Say they had been awarded a free kick on the edge of the box ?  They lose that ? Seems ridiculous - the ref didn’t stop the game to review - he waited until the ball was dead 

Effectively the minute which occurred from the point of the incident reviewed doesn’t exist. 

It restarts with a ‘dead ball’, so as it’s in the 18 yard box, it’s the defending teams position 

24 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Only if you bought in to the hype of them as "dark horses" which I'm pretty sure is just off the back of them drastically over performing at the Euros.

I love Denmark and the Danish people, I'm not on the wind up, I know there's a few on here. But they're not exactly flushed with quality all over the park are they? If their team was a Premier League side then it'd scream "mid-table plodders" all over the park. Real lack of potency up top in particular. 

They all rallied around the Eriksen illness in the Euros, it clearly galvanized them and they were definitely a squad having a moment in that tournament but beyond that, eh. 

Tunisia are exactly the sort of team I'd expect them to struggle with, Denmark are better on paper but Tunisia are going to graft, be fairly well organized, put a shift in and be hard to break down. 

Disappointing performance, but on the back of the Saudi game, at least they got a point. A defeat could have been catastrophic.

But I think you got the wrong end of this Finners. Denmark have always needed to rely on performing above the sum of its parts. The Euro performance didn't come as a big shock here. The dominant qualification was impressive and beating France twice over the past year showed this wasn't a flash in the pan. I think mid-table Prem team on form is a fair comparison though.

The spirit, belief and tactical flexibility of this team feels special, so I can see why some have touted them as dark horses. That said, I agree with you that winning it is a bridge too far.

14 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Good to see there are decent refs at the tournament.

I thought the ref had a bizarre game. For football, I'm glad the VAR review did not result in a penalty. I thought the Danes had better shouts with Mæhle and Højbjerg on the byline.