Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group D: France, Australia, Denmark, Tunisia

28 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

France making an official complaint about the disallowed equaliser .

Was it that bad a decision then or are just they just trying to make a point .

In the end didn’t impact their position.

Making a point; they certainly don’t want a decision like that going against them in a knockout tie 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Just to prove a point they should make them replay the game.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Planting the seed in officials.

'But sir, we had a bad decision against us so we're owed a favourable one in the knockout stage....'

• Like 1

17 hours ago, glebe_sydneyfox said:

Yep in 2006

We beat Japan 3-1 Cahill with 2 goals

I remember running home from school to watch the end of that match. All my mates were laughing at me for running home to see Australia vs Japan but I got home in time to see the 3 goals, they didn't. :D 

13 hours ago, MadKaw said:

Salty much ?.. :-)

Not at all. It was fully deserved and I am happy for the Australian team and supporters - what a way to be rewarded as well with a tie against Argentina. Imagine the scenes if Australia were to pull off the shock of eliminating possibly the greatest player and a pre-tournament favourite!

But objectively I don't think Australia were particularly good. The limitations were obvious. A well-executed one-man counter and some dogged defending doesn't hide it. Even a woeful Danish side were penetrating the Aussie flanks time after time. 

Not trying to do anyone a disservice, but that result was more down to Denmark collapsing than it was Australia surprising or performing above what was expected.

17 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Scenes in Melbourne were something else, wish we had scenes like that here.  It's weird I can't remember another world cup where it has generated so little interest in England.

Everything about Qatar is making this a very weird atmosphere. The weather is too cold or rainy for outside viewing parties, it's mid-season, it's far away in a hot climate, half-empty stadiums, politics and nonsense armwrestling occupying the media and affecting the bandwagon fans, so many factors here...

20 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Scenes in Melbourne were something else, wish we had scenes like that here.  It's weird I can't remember another world cup where it has generated so little interest in England.

The interest is still here it's just freezing so the usual scenes from sunny beer gardens aren't about. 

4 hours ago, hackenbacker said:

Yesterday i went to the Australia v Denmark game. Shout out to Kasper who after the game had ended, despite his obvious disappoint, went round to each of the Australian players and congratulated them before making his way over to both sets of supporters and applauding them. The only Danish player to do that. Fantastic gesture and shows the class of the man. 

It's very telling really. The rest were probably too devastated to have the perspective to do it. 

Schmeichel was poor yesterday as well, but well done for acknowledging the opposition and the fans that have likely paid extortionate sums to be there.

2 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

The interest is still here it's just freezing so the usual scenes from sunny beer gardens aren't about. 

Thats true :D  Just generally with people i know just don't seem particularly interested, have we ever had scenes like they did in Australia though?  Hyde park was ok i guess, maybe we dont drink as much as the Aussies.:D

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

We do. The last WC and Euros had people collecting in city centres, jumping on top of buses, putting smoke flares up their backsides and also sorts of other madness. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

Thats true :D  Just generally with people i know just don't seem particularly interested, have we ever had scenes like they did in Australia though?  Hyde park was ok i guess, maybe we dont drink as much as the Aussies.:D

We had some really good ones going into the semi final last time and the euro final. 

I imagine it doesn't help that most seem to expect us to he unbelievably dull to watch whilst also coming into the world Cup in bad form.