Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mr Weller 2

The England haters

I find all this 'it's coming home' nonsense really tedious. Probably as tedious as Southgate's boring approach to games, get a lead and try and defend for the rest of the game.

As good as Kane is, he would get picked even if he had one leg, it's not a surprise that Vardy retired as early as he did.

35 minutes ago, Deebhoy said:

I've a good excuse because I'm Irish and we always want England to get beat.  Another factor is the appalling media and saturisation of England is going to win whatever competition they are playing in with little true analysis of their chances.

As for the World Cup in general FIFA have completely messed up. I know I'll watch it but I've never felt this less excited about a major competition I've watched all my life. Depressing.

Yet some in the media expect English fans to support Ireland, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland if/when the England team not involved. Having said that I love the Olympics when there is a GB team.  We should be relaxed If our neighbours don't want England to win. You are not surprised if an Arsenal fan wants Spurs to lose or Leicester wanting Forest to trip up. As for English themselves wanting our teams to fail that is bizarre.

4 hours ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Football is not bigger than slavery, unpaid labour, and serious breaches of human rights laws. Never mind our government telling LGBT people to "compromise" 

Anyone who thinks football is bigger than human lives needs to get their head from out of their ass 

Football and politics never been a good combo.

I would describe my view of England as generally indifferent. Really didn't get me down after the Euro final in the way it does when Leicester lose on a weekend. I still really enjoy the international tournaments mind - but whether England are there doing well or not doesn't really factor into it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

It’s an inevitable part of the game though. Politics is everything about how work and resources are distributed. As soon as football becomes professional it’s political.

What people mean when they say “football and politics don’t mix” is “football and politics I don’t care about don’t mix”. 

Footballer wages, taxes, sponsorship deals, migration status of staff and players, planning permission by councils of stadiums, ticket prices, programme prices, the way prize money and tv money is redistributed throughout the league system is all politics and part of the discussion. No more or less than people being worked to death to build football stadiums or lgbt football fans having the threat of serious jail time or worse for holding hands walking to a game.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

The fact is that if you were to avoid football because all of the atrocities you have listed another game would never be watched.

There’s an obvious difference though in this case isn’t there though? People have needlessly died in their hundreds if not thousands as a direct result of this World Cup.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

The fact is that if you were to avoid football because all of the atrocities you have listed another game would never be watched.

If this World Cup hadn’t happened there would be 6750 people at least who would be with their families, instead of dying whilst building vanity projects. The links you are referring to are not unique to football; unfortunately our country is in the business with a lot of bad actors and states, therefore your argument is redundant. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

Ah - 'Let's keep politics out of sport.'

The rallying cry of the sort of people who are happy to hold the World Cup in Argentina in 1978, Russia in 2018 or Qatar in 2022 either because they can make money out of it or because it's a fabulous PR (sportswashing) opportunity for them. Or both, of course.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Ah - 'Let's keep politics out of sport.'

The rallying cry of the sort of people who are happy to hold the World Cup in Argentina in 1978, Russia in 2018 or Qatar in 2022 either because they can make money out of it or because it's a fabulous PR (sportswashing) opportunity for them. Or both, of course.

Like I said before if you are going on morals you would never see another football tournament ever again.

We all know FIFA is bent and I agree awarding Qatar these Finals was a huge mistake on a footballing basis let alone anything else.

So, who is going to stand up and cast the first stone or do we just abandon any future World Cups on moral grounds?

4 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Like I said before if you are going on morals you would never see another football tournament ever again.

We all know FIFA is bent and I agree awarding Qatar these Finals was a huge mistake on a footballing basis let alone anything else.

So, who is going to stand up and cast the first stone or do we just abandon any future World Cups on moral grounds?

It's a tricky one David. You can't overlook the hypocrisy though. As we approach to the first KO many managers and players suddenly start complaining. They were silent for years. 

Good luck to the fans going there. We'll see news with arrests every single day, other governments and FAs getting involved to free them etc. Some will say adhere to their rules and laws and you'll be fine. It's not that easy when these laws are against Democracy and human rights. If it's so easy let's give the 2034 WC to North Korea. 

2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Don't you dare wear a poppy to the KP then, political statements are banned! 

See how that sounds when it's to do with something we can relate too as British citizens? 

Just because it's in another country doesn't mean it's irrelevant and can be ignored.

I don't think it's England hate, its the complete aversion of the institution and the manager to pick players outside the big 6 despite them being obviously better or in better form, case in point Maddison. If Maddison was playing for United, Many City or Chelsea he would of been in the squad 18 months ago. 

This alongside boring tactics, substitutions and results after a period of time stagnates. Time to change this Southgate in the next few weeks but I suspect it will be same old story. The FA will then have a big call to make.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Don't you dare wear a poppy to the KP then, political statements are banned! 

See how that sounds when it's to do with something we can relate too as British citizens? 

Just because it's in another country doesn't mean it's irrelevant and can be ignored.

How wrong you are. Wearing a poppy is not a "political statement". It is an act of remembrance.

I suggest you direct your ire at FIFA, they are the real culprits in all of this.