Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mr Weller 2

The England haters

Guest StevieLynex
8 hours ago, tom27111 said:

You must have seen some legendary teams in that time mate.

Who were the best? Brazil 70 and 82 are popular choices, but you'd have seen the Flying Magyars! 

Anyone else you'd add to that list?

Holland 1974. Maradona 1986

20 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Think it’s cos since 1996 I don’t think they’ve got me out of my seat once. 

This is a big reason for me.  Also, England has just lost it's identity as a whole.  There so many international people living here (some legal and some illegal), that the unity has evaporated. 

Coupled with the fact that we have a nauseating manager, who isn't a maverick in any way, shape or form.

Club over country for me, every day of the week.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Italia 90 was glorious. 

But as someone recently posted, your opinion is often swayed if you were a child.

I was 10 when Italia 90 was on, but I think it was more about discovering players. You don't get that nowadays, we know every single player.

Cameroon kicking the shit out of Argentina was absolutely glorious. 

Roger Milla dancing at the corner flag, Toto Schilachi winning the Golden Boot, Rene Higuita in goal for Colombia and that Valderrama afro!

Names like Tomas Skuravy still live with me lol

And it gave us Nessun Dorma.

I was 9 at the time and this is exactly how I feel about Italia 90! 

Roger Milla was 38 then and he went on to play at USA 94 aswell, aged 42. 

Also vividly remember the opening game and Cameroon beating Argentina. 

My mum said she'd buy me an England shirt if England reached the semi's.

Me: "Can I have a cameroon shirt?" 

48 minutes ago, pazzerfox said:

This is a big reason for me.  Also, England has just lost it's identity as a whole.  There so many international people living here (some legal and some illegal), that the unity has evaporated. 

Coupled with the fact that we have a nauseating manager, who isn't a maverick in any way, shape or form.

Club over country for me, every day of the week.

Did you actually say you don’t support England because there are ‘too many international people’? Perhaps I misunderstood? I really hope so.

• Like 2

Argentina 78 the first World Cup i can clearly remember, England weren’t in it.

My interest has declined over the years, as a young man id never miss a game, look forward to tournaments, Italia 90 and Euro 96 being the stand outs. Now I don’t really care about England, I am looking forward to the tournament as a whole though.

I just find England dull and continually disappointing, bias towards players who play for the “big 6” is frustrating and also the huge gap between players and the working man.

5 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Yes but all  within IMHO…

After the 60# Argentina.produced not only Maradona,but greats.

To be honest all teams produced individuals or 2-3 period greats.

Italy,Germany. In the last 4 always shaking out top names & moments

Hungary & Rumania in the qualifying stages produced some memorial performers

I did believe that African nations would upset the apple cart,and have more nations

competing for future W.cups. Life, poverty and corruption holding that wave back.

58;62, and 70 I can’t get away from Brazil I reckon that Brazil squad of 1970,

could & would stand up against all other winners.

+ any Brazil vs Italy, often greatest of games.

Germanys magnificent win in Brazil..

The unluckiest runners up Netherlands,god what players.

The Magyars,was a tat before my time to appreciate.The films over their achievements rumbled well into the 70s.

In fact BBC did a programme over them  1964 about ,then again 2010s sometime where they were considered the best international team ever.

At one time I could reel their team off by art,same as the great Brazil &  BVB sides..

By memory without looking up google,

I can think of Puskas, Lorant, Budai,I think also a Buzanszky not sure..

Sitting with my dad in the cinema, they were often shown before major feature.

That drag back by Puskas !

I'll watch it but I'm certainly not fussed if we win it. I'd rather leicester were consistently successful over England, I've been invested in them since a young kid. International football is generally shite in comparison to club football on every level 

I'm more of a 'don't carer' than a 'hater' . It's hard to be enthusiastic about a Southgate coached team who play not to lose as opposed to playing to win.

I Love football & I Love England but I need to be entertained when I watch a game.

Personally l love World Cups & tournament football. On a purely football basis, what’s not to like ? Yes, we all know Qatar probably shouldn’t be hosting it, but that was decided years ago. I’m no politician, just a sports fan. 
We have boxers that are more than willing to fight in Saudi Arabia etc. for mega bucks.

l watch these fights & will watch as many games as l can from Qatar, rightly or otherwise. It’s a personal choice. 

Generally, my interest in England and international football has been waning but I love the tournaments. I was devastated when we lost to Italy and no amount of jingoism or dickhead fans could make me actively want us to lose.

Despite that, I don’t watch qualifiers or friendlies anymore. I think a lot of apathy is due to Leicester being in the Premier League. England used to be an escape from the absolute shit we’d watch on a Saturday and we instead got to support the likes of Rooney, Beckham and Gerrard. It’s probably why a lot of the fans that follow England around the globe are fans of lower league clubs. 

Now, even though some of the players are pretty likeable guys, they’re the same ones that are your rivals on a weekend. I think now we’re a lot more encompassed by Leicester, that England naturally take a backseat. Add to that, the Leicester players that have been called up and are mistreated by Hodgson/Southgate and you’re left being frustrated by the whole set up. 

I love international tournaments, but even they’re being ruined by sportswashing and unnecessary expansions, so that you basically have to fill out a form to qualify for the Euros now. There’s no jeopardy in England qualifiers anymore. 

Edited by RonnieTodger
  • Like 3

On 12/11/2022 at 12:39, lifted*fox said:

not interested in 'patriotism', flag waving nationalism and not overly interested in international football.

goes no deeper than that for me.

Each to their own, I suppose.   Lots of people wouldn't be interested in the scarf/flag waving tribalism of club football.

I don't think you need to be overly patriotic/nationalistic to support your national team.   It's just a higher level representative game, of whatever sport takes your fancy ... be it football, cricket, rugby, hockey, athletics or tiddlywinks.

I'll cheer on anything associated with Leicester or England ... whether they're good, bad or indifferent.

The last few times I've actually watched England, I've turned off. Dire football. I was never going to watch this world cup on principle anyway. England could be leading Argentina 4-0 in the final and I wouldn't bother, but that's not to do with England themselves. 

Plus, I really don't like this inbetween line Southgate is taking. Either you just shut up and play the World Cup, don't make any comments and get on with it or you do an Australia and point out the issues. 

It's the same with him picking Walker and Grealish but seemingly having his arm twisted to pick "bad attitude" Maddison. 

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

The last few times I've actually watched England, I've turned off. Dire football. I was never going to watch this world cup on principle anyway. England could be leading Argentina 4-0 in the final and I wouldn't bother, but that's not to do with England themselves. 

Plus, I really don't like this inbetween line Southgate is taking. Either you just shut up and play the World Cup, don't make any comments and get on with it or you do an Australia and point out the issues. 

It's the same with him picking Walker and Grealish but seemingly having his arm twisted to pick "bad attitude" Maddison. 

The same Australia that didn't accept same sex marriage until 5 years ago ? Way after Qatar was announced. Southgate really can never win can he ? He gave a diplomatic & thoughtful interview post squad selection on Thursday. 

He picked Maddison & gets pelters, if he hadn't he gets similar. 

Managing England is a thankless task.

Just my opinion. 

Edited by STEVIE B