Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mr Weller 2

The England haters

5 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

not interested in 'patriotism', flag waving nationalism and not overly interested in international football.

goes no deeper than that for me.

This is me, I don't hate England but I don't like it anymore than other countries too

I hate the concept of borders and territories too, nothing has caused more death and bloodshed than my country is superior to yours

• Like 2

I'll also add that my younger self thought there'd be more chance of glory with the national team, rather than Leicester, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

It seems to be a mentality thing with this country, we almost revel in being the plucky loser, rather than having the mindset of winners.

Just look at all the sport going on now, the Rugby League boys losing, the Rugby Union girls falling short, the tennis girls going out in the semi's...all the headlines say "dramatic", "unlucky"...

I hope the cricket team can bring something back tomorrow morning.

Back to the football... Ultimately, I do want us to win, of course I do. But being let down every 2 years since 1986 (the first tournament I can remember), I refuse to get emotionally involved anymore.

That is impossible with Leicester. 

We're treated like mugs by the FA. We always have been. As long as the cash rolls in for them, they're happy. And everything is rosey because the women won in the summer.

England haven't really been good to watch since the Venables or Hoddle days. 

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Samilktray said:

If you can’t allow yourself to get caught up in the buzz and excitement of a World Cup with England then I feel sorry for you, what a boring existence imho

(unless you’re not English in which case fair play)

I am not English, but hope to be British by the end of next year.

I haven't really followed the US in football since the 2002 World Cup (I left the States in late 2001.) I couldn't name a player other the Pulisic. 

I hated the Italian team when I was in Italy. Since I've moved here, I have followed England whenever a Leicester player is on the team (in a way I don't follow Belgium or any other national team), and don't follow them when a Leicester player isn't on the team (part of this is because I strongly dislike Kane and Southgate.)

My wife loves England though, and I am not going to push the kids to wear the Stars and Stripes. I won't care if the US lose to England, although I might make a joke if the US wins...but it won't have any malice!

I don't mind watching international football during the summer, but hate international breaks during the season (to the extent I wish clubs would play friendlies, so I could have something to care about.) 

My family will be watching England, and I will want Madders to do well ... but I will be more blah about it this year than most.

Shameless self-promotion: I am hosting a pub quiz at the 1852 Brewery Co. in Wigston on Sunday Nov. 13 at 8pm. C'mon down.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Shameless self-promotion: I am hosting a pub quiz at the 1852 Brewery Co. in Wigston on Sunday Nov. 13 at 8pm. C'mon down.

I don't live in Leicester, if I did, I'd be down there, love a pub quiz and go to the local village pub every Monday for one.

Any chance, if convenient, you can post the questions once you've done it at the pub? :D

Edited by tom27111

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I don't live in Leicester, if I did, I'd be down there, love a pub quiz and go to the local village pub every Monday for one.

Any chance, if convenient, you can post the questions once you've done it at the pub? :D

I can DM to you...just ping me on Monday 

• Thanks 1

I normally love watching the World Cup, but not sure about this year for obvious reasons.

I like to see England play well, or even win when sh*thousing, but again it's better with a Leicester player in the team. Loved to see Gary knocking in the goals back in the 80s/90s.

The downside to watching England in the WC (in this country obviously) is that pub venues get too full, and sometimes you have to book ahead. Plus there is more chance of being sat/stood next to the local dipsticks.

4 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Part of the problem with supporting England is the brain-dead head bangers that follow them around. This is not the players fault just a symptom of a certain section of our disfunctioning society. I don't hate England but I despise some of our supporters.

I tend to agree with this. As an English bloke I want them to win but some of the idiots that have stained the reputation of the fans makes you think we don't deserve success as crazy at that seems

6 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Part of the problem with supporting England is the brain-dead head bangers that follow them around. This is not the players fault just a symptom of a certain section of our disfunctioning society. I don't hate England but I despise some of our supporters.

This is the crux of it for me. Although I’m sure many supporters are nice, normal people, unfortunately the national team attracts some of the absolute dregs of society. 

I also despise the international breaks. They’re a waste of time and energy and are an unwanted, eye-wateringly dull interruption from watching City in the Premier League. England are dross 95% of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not too fussed how England do. To me it's more important that the tournament as a whole is entertaining. Italia '90 and Euro '96, despite England's relative 'sucess', were both awful tournaments (both are amongst the lowest goals per game average for World Cups and Euros respectively), capped off by 2 of the worst finals you will ever see. Give me Mexico '86 any day. Josimar spanking in 40-yard screamers in the altitude, Maradona at his brilliant peak, a lad from Leicester winning the Golden Boot, and an incredibly dramatic final.

I have a more appropriate relationship with England. Supporting us is often agony, supporting England, well of course I want us to do well, but as and when we go out I’ll shrug my shoulders and start worrying about City again!

But I am looking forward to some World Cup evenings with friends in the coming weeks

29 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Not too fussed how England do. To me it's more important that the tournament as a whole is entertaining. Italia '90 and Euro '96, despite England's relative 'sucess', were both awful tournaments (both are amongst the lowest goals per game average for World Cups and Euros respectively), capped off by 2 of the worst finals you will ever see. Give me Mexico '86 any day. Josimar spanking in 40-yard screamers in the altitude, Maradona at his brilliant peak, a lad from Leicester winning the Golden Boot, and an incredibly dramatic final.

Italia 90 was glorious. 

But as someone recently posted, your opinion is often swayed if you were a child.

I was 10 when Italia 90 was on, but I think it was more about discovering players. You don't get that nowadays, we know every single player.

Cameroon kicking the shit out of Argentina was absolutely glorious. 

Roger Milla dancing at the corner flag, Toto Schilachi winning the Golden Boot, Rene Higuita in goal for Colombia and that Valderrama afro!

Names like Tomas Skuravy still live with me lol

And it gave us Nessun Dorma.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 3

1966 was the first wc I remember. Downhill from there. The shock of losing to West Germany in 1970 after a 2-0 lead. Sport is a lot healthier way of competing with other countries that is for sure.  I can't stand graceless or boorish behaviour or worse by some England fans. I still don't like the wanting England to fail. That seems like self loathing.  If England are in a major tournament then of course I want them to win it or at least play well. Sometimes it appears that there is a wish to be a cynic. 

1 minute ago, Foxdiamond said:

1966 was the first wc I remember. Downhill from there. The shock of losing to West Germany in 1970 after a 2-0 lead. Sport is a lot healthier way of competing with other countries that is for sure.  I can't stand graceless or boorish behaviour or worse by some England fans. I still don't like the wanting England to fail. That seems like self loathing.  If England are in a major tournament then of course I want them to win it or at least play well. Sometimes it appears that there is a wish to be a cynic. 

Hell of a first 2 World Cups for you then!

I thought it was impressive that the first game I can genuinely remember watching was England v Argentina in 1986.

Maradona was a c**t, but probably his fault that I love football as much as I do.

I sat in front of the TV all tournament shouting "GOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL", because I think the BBC had Jimmy Hill doing that in the background?

But that England v Argentina game is my first memory of football. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

As we approach the WC the usual England haters are rearing their heads so I was wondering what makes them this way.

They tend to be older, and more cynical on the whole. Perhaps they became disillusioned during the many years of disappointment-the 70s were an international desert and Italia 90 and Euro 96 apart there was little to get too excited about. The early 2000s saw huge hype before big tournaments but the so called golden generation never really delivered. 

Things reached a low point between 2014-2016 but since then we’ve had the best run since 1966. 

Of course it might be nothing to do with this. George Orwell once said England was the only country where it had become unfashionable to be patriotic. Or it could just be excessive parochialism ie I’m Leicester, Blackburn, Sheffield or wherever but not English or British. Or it could be an anti big club sentiment, although Southgate actually comes out rather well compared to many recent managers on selecting players from outside the big six.

Either way it seems a shame and comes across to others as a bit of a kill-joy attitude. Why do people wear it like some kind of badge of honour I wonder?

I just can't stand Southgate and boring managers in general. Boring

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Hell of a first 2 World Cups for you then!

I thought it was impressive that the first game I can genuinely remember watching was England v Argentina in 1986.

Maradona was a c**t, but probably his fault that I love football as much as I do.

I sat in front of the TV all tournament shouting "GOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL", because I think the BBC had Jimmy Hill doing that in the background?

But that England v Argentina game is my first memory of football. 

Talking of Argentina. I can still remember jumping into my dad's arms when Geoff Hurst scored with that near post header in 66.

• Like 1

I used to be an England FA fan, but after the shambles of 2016. Danny Drinkwater won the league and played some absolutely beautiful football and  missed out on a place in the squad to the injured Wilshere, since then I don't watch England games, and the ones I am forced to I actively hope they lose. 

Although if James Madison is on the pitch I will hope they do well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Talking of Argentina. I can still remember jumping into my dad's arms when Geoff Hurst scored with that near post header in 66.

You'd be a similar age to my dad.

When we went on our 1969 cup run, my grandad said to him "You go to the semi, or the final. I can't afford both"

My dad obviously chose the final lol

Edited by tom27111
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Italia 90 was glorious. 

But as someone recently posted, your opinion is often swayed if you were a child.

I was 10 when Italia 90 was on, but I think it was more about discovering players. You don't get that nowadays, we know every single player.

Cameroon kicking the shit out of Argentina was absolutely glorious. 

Roger Milla dancing at the corner flag, Toto Schilachi winning the Golden Boot, Rene Higuita in goal for Colombia and that Valderrama afro!

Names like Tomas Skuravy still live with me lol

And it gave us Nessun Dorma.

This dumps all over Nessun Dorma from a great height imho (and search deep within your soul you'll agree with me, because we are both complete philistines, right?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1