Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mr Weller 2

The England haters

20 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Can't wait till we win it and everyone is on the bandwagon. That will feel class. 

Spain and Germany, Brazil, everyone is behind the team and they seem to win a lot.... Just saying. 

Same bollox spouted for the last 50+ years...🙄🙄

Edited by Raj

2010. Rooney walks off giving stick to fans that have abused another abject performance, too arrogant to realise many of them had spent savings and considerable %s of their wages to go to South Africa and follow the circus only to have wasted their money. My opinion hasn't changed much since, too many of the squad aren't playing for pride, just themselves. Also the narrative of "we pick players on form not friendship" has clearly been shown to be bullshit. Drinkwater having had the season of his life and being MOTM in the final warm up being dumped by Hodgson in favour of Henderson who had played 186 minutes in 6 months. You won't find anyone more patriotic than me but that doesn't stretch to singing Sweet Caroline and painting my face in George's Crosses.

I really hope Madders smashes it if given a chance but I fear he'll be used sparingly like Vardy and then dumped in the Spring as a failed experiment. Extending that to the world cup as a whole and I doubt I'll even catch a game, not just England. The bribery and corruption to secure it, the deaths building it and now the push to accept the "culture" hosting it. I'm just not interested this time round.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

They tend to be older, and more cynical on the whole. (you mean wisdom, the process of using experience to become a little less stupid than one was before)

Of course it might be nothing to do with this. George Orwell once said England was the only country where it had become unfashionable to be patriotic. (good old English humility, makes me proud)

Or it could just be excessive parochialism  (olde hamlet mentality..... I might be Brauny, Dodge not Texas, but still Leicester and English)

Or it could be......... selecting players from outside the big six.(Where did that idea come from? Better players tend to play for better clubs and have european competion experience.... it aint like lineker went from from England sub to regular starter the moment that he moved to Everton)

So many subjects...... to play up to.... 

As soneone who followed Enlland and the other month could not be arsed to tune into England vs Germany..... it is bit of the above and bad football..... I think...cus I rarely watch. It aint a badge of honour though.

I am way less patriotic than in my youth but the poliyics part of your question will start a lively thread   . shit.... game starting

20 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

If you can’t allow yourself to get caught up in the buzz and excitement of a World Cup with England then I feel sorry for you, what a boring existence imho

(unless you’re not English in which case fair play)

We're all different and what excites one person doesn't necessarily excite another. It doesn't make them boring, it just makes them different. Do you have the same opinion about everything ie if others don't agree with you they're wrong?

Personally, I want England to do well and will probably watch it but can't actually say it excites or interests me as much as Leicester City. I think a lot of supporters now days are club over country so each to their own, it's not a right or wrong issue. 

1 hour ago, Raj said:

Had an England top on with my mates(All Brown boys) during the Gazza tournament  in a pub in Town

A group of "lads" rocked up asked us what we were doing watching England and basically told us to do one.

It was probably the last straw for me in about 30 years of little racist niggles.

Never supported England in anything since and love it when they lose!

Italy beating them in the Euros was epic for me and tte racist chats to the black lads just emphasised the embedded  racism here.

What, a team of all white players beating a team with a large proportion of black players really stuck it to the racists for you? lol

Find it hard to believe Raj that you've never got any race based stick from Leicester fans?

Edited by DennisNedry

I really enjoy the group stages, watching the smaller countries fight it out as a neutral and enjoying their fan cultures in the crowd (how much of that we'll get to enjoy in Qatar remains to be seen). I'm long past expecting England to do anything, but I'll get caught up in the excitement of progression if it's anything like 2018 and 2021.

Even though the events surrounding this World Cup happening are nothing short of a disgrace, I know I'll end up watching, and I'd be a fool to pretend otherwise.

23 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

What, a team of all white players beating a team with a large proportion of black players really stuck it to the racists for you? lol

Find it hard to believe Raj that you've never got any race based stick from Leicester fans?

I have plenty in the days, and your next arguement  will be "How come you dont hate Leicester then?"

I did for a while, luckily my mates who I went with talked me back round.

With England none of us bothered to talk each other out of it.

Edited by Raj

It is not England I dislike, it is the faux patriotism that seems to rear it's ugly head, when England start to do well.  I now live in France and they don't seem to do the "we've won the world cup and we'll let everyone know it", to the same degree as we would in England.  Yes the French have other other things where they think they are superior(Food & wine), but not like us English do when we've won something in sport, I never dreaded going into work when they won it in 2018.   Also I think the tabloid mania and the references to WWII put me off along with the constant over hype at every tournament from Italia 90, until probably the disaster of Capello's team in SA.   Now I just prefer to watch any game barre England it is far more enjoyable that way.

Edited by Le Renard
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rain King said:

Leicester I'm invested in and care about. If England are on tv 9 times out of 10 I won't bother watching it.

Yep, this is pretty much me too. I do usually end up watching a fair bit of World Cups and Euros in the end, and the team I want to win is always the one with most Leicester players in it.

Come on you Belgium!

Just now, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Fair enough if you ask me. A country's football team is not the country!

Exactly. And as weird as this sounds I find it hard to summon the effort to support anybody other than Leicester, especially when I'm watching it in a pub surrounded by Arsenal and Spurs fans.

• Like 1

I absolutely love the buzz of international tournament football and always want England to do well but you couldn’t pay me to watch them in qualifiers or friendlies against teams like Moldova. Especially under Southgate. I’d rather watch Matt Hancock have a bath. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

The away fans were a collection of frothing illiterate freaks from every club across the land, it was like any fan deemed too inbred for their own club follows England. Similar demographic at the euro semi final last summer. Couldn’t/can’t identify with that 

The type of people that have a weird obsession with Rangers it sounds like

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My problem with England at the moment is the manager.

Negative, horrible tactics.

Picking the same players that are clearly out of form, although this is a historic problem with most England managers.

We play too safe. They set up not to lose, rather than to win.

We've got a young and talented generation of midfielders and attackers, but a manager, who wouldn't get a job in the Championship, wastes it and plays shite football.

And nothing will change, because the majority watch the meaningless games in TV, sell out Wembley and buy the kits.

It's all about money for the FA.

With a more tactically astute manager, we'd have won the last 2 tournaments. Well, at least made the 2018 final, it was a good French team.

We're scared as a nation of big teams. OK, we beat Germany in the Euros, but when we face a Brazil, France or Spain, we shit ourselves. 

It's about time we realised we don't need to. And that lies with the manager.

• Like 1

I don't hate the national team and I want them to win. I just don't go out of my way to watch games. If I've got spare time and the game is on then I'll watch but I don't swap shifts at work etc to watch the games like I would a leicester game. Leicester is my priority and England is a side thing that I'll watch if I can. International football in general is pretty drab and the international breaks for friendlies is just a hindrance on club football. This wc is also a turn off given the timing and location plus the bribery and sheer corruption. Add in the fact Southgate is the most boring manager in world football and its understandable why many are just a bit meh 🤷‍♂️ towards the national team. 

Don't hate England but can't help but smile when other teams score against "us". It's all like the top 4 clubs that make up the England team and I'm usually smiling when they lose or Kane misses a sitter, Mags has a brain fart or Greylish underwhelms.

However i got kids now who are getting towards football age and so my opinions mean very little, so we'll probably have flags on the car and JackGreylish wannabes in the back, fhfs.

Also yeah zero pride in being British you don't get to choose where you're born so what have you done to be proud of?

Don't like nationalism in any form unless it's the underdog I guess, I'm quarter Welsh my nan was well nice and into footy, so I'll follow them but if Wales somehow became a superpower, did a load of exploiting other countries and that, I would probably not be supporting them.

I'm proper woke me