Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Amazing Roads & Bridges - Pics & Videos

3 hours ago, adam1 said:

Thats the Clifton Suspension Bridge. The Menai Straits Suspension Bridge (A5) is very similar in design/brickwork. Easily confusable, both go over water :P

Well that's the pic that came up when I googled "bridge to Anglesey" :dunno:

It was the old A5 bridge that I was on. I returned a different way and not via the Menai bridge. Must have been the Britannia Bridge.

11 minutes ago, adam1 said:

No ones mentioned Swarkestone Bridge?

101088337-21649-800.jpg

1_DM_TEM_130219swarkestone-2137_swarkestoneJPG.jpg

Considering it's age and the reason it was built, it's pretty remarkable, if a little understated, given the pics of other bridges.

And then there's the pub on the Derbyshire side on the site where Scots Bonnie Prince Charlie was held back by the Parliamentarian soldiers in his failed attempt to take the British crown. 

The furthest point south of Scotland that his army reached.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Parafox said:

Considering it's age and the reason it was built, it's pretty remarkable, if a little understated, given the pics of other bridges.

And then there's the pub on the Derbyshire side on the site where Scots Bonnie Prince Charlie was held back by the Parliamentarian soldiers in his failed attempt to take the British crown. 

The furthest point south of Scotland that his army reached.

The uprising started at Glenfinnan. So keeping on topic heere is another bridge at Glenfinnan, the Glenfinnan Viaduct. Also if you zoom in you can see the Monument erected some years after the event.

Glenfinnan-Viaduct-4.jpg

19 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Slartibartfast?... did you get an award for it? :)

I had to Google that and I still don't................................I'm very old mon frere

Edited by Smudge