Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LanguedocFox

The Coronation

12 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

The coronation is a once in a generation opportunity to advertise the UK and its history to the world.  A lot of people come to the UK as tourists to see and experience our history.   So undoubtedly it will drive a significant increase in tourism worth many millions.

This is true, in the 24hr period after the Coronation date was announced flights to the UK went up 124%

1 hour ago, TJQuik said:

Since I was banned for my previous post in here I'll rephrase it:

The royal family should be told to go away in a professional but firm voice and anyone who supports them is a silly goose.

Swearing?

I think what a lot of people have an issue with is not even the monarchy, the money spent or the policing but the fact they find it a bit embarrassing and déclassé in a way they wouldn't for other countries. A bit like the 'Traditions, Japan' meme. 

23 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

Because they want their voices heard, they have a right to protest an archaic institution. Things don't change by doing nothing. Look at revolutions that have happened in other countries!. Just because we've had a royal family for centuries doesn't mean we have to continue to have one. Interesting to see if loads of people throw tampons at the royal couple as we all know what Charley boy likes to do with one! :ph34r:.

I would have thought there are lots of ways to advocate for change to a Republic without attending a coronation.  It does seem that at least some of these people can't bear the fact lots of others want to go and celebrate or simply watch the spectacle without them being a blot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

The coronation is a once in a generation opportunity to advertise the UK and its history to the world.  A lot of people come to the UK as tourists to see and experience our history.   So undoubtedly it will drive a significant increase in tourism worth many millions.

Speaking of once in a generation perhaps  Charlie boy could return stolen gems, items, etc that the monarchy obtained via colonialism.

For those of us living in or from countries that were impacted by the monarchy it would be a great act of reconciliation and who knows might in some strange way boost support for a new look, with the times monarchy.  Orrrrrr they can continute to be weird inbred gangsters.

Clearly not a monarchist lol.

• Like 2

I read today that the attendants will get the opportunity during the coronation to swear allegiance to the King.... shouldn’t it be the King swearing allegiance to the people? Otherwise it feels a bit like blind game of thrones, after all, where is the trust coming from and on what historical basis? I can’t think of any organisation or person I’d swear blind allegiance to? It’s all very strange to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nick said:

I read today that the attendants will get the opportunity during the coronation to swear allegiance to the King.... shouldn’t it be the King swearing allegiance to the people? Otherwise it feels a bit like blind game of thrones, after all, where is the trust coming from and on what historical basis? I can’t think of any organisation or person I’d swear blind allegiance to? It’s all very strange to me.

If i buy you a pint, would that sway you enough to swear allegiance to me?

1 hour ago, Jattdogg said:

If i buy you a pint, would that sway you enough to swear allegiance to me?

Its OK, if your PM is like ours... You know, a left leaning virtual commie (according to Murdoch Media)... He is going to swear allegiance on MY behalf.

Go to fvck you sellout, self serving right wing lapdog.

2 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Speaking of once in a generation perhaps  Charlie boy could return stolen gems, items, etc that the monarchy obtained via colonialism.

For those of us living in or from countries that were impacted by the monarchy it would be a great act of reconciliation and who knows might in some strange way boost support for a new look, with the times monarchy.  Orrrrrr they can continute to be weird inbred gangsters.

Clearly not a monarchist lol.

I think that would be a good thing generally, although the idea that had these jewels not been given to Royalty they would have been kept by those countries and not sold or stolen by dodgy leaders is a bit far fetched.

19 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Its OK, if your PM is like ours... You know, a left leaning virtual commie (according to Murdoch Media)... He is going to swear allegiance on MY behalf.

Go to fvck you sellout, self serving right wing lapdog.

So despite all the good stuff Albanese is doing while walking a tightrope so they don't get thumped in the next election, you still can't say nice things :)  No wonder the left never stay in power for long.  Ideology more important than outcomes.

31 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

So despite all the good stuff Albanese is doing while walking a tightrope so they don't get thumped in the next election, you still can't say nice things :)  No wonder the left never stay in power for long.  Ideology more important than outcomes.

The fact that you are here defending/supporting him just confirms my assertion.

In 2023/4 he will...
Increase the amount of tax the poor/working class pay
Give the most wealthy a TAX CUT

What does left-wing mean in Australian politics? - Quora

Edited by ozleicester

4 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

The fact that you are here defending/supporting him just confirms my assertion.

What does left-wing mean in Australian politics? - Quora

He's the best you've got, surely better to support him than throw bricks from the sidelines?  This is how the UK ended up with over a decade of Tory disaster... New Labour project died due to internal bollocks.

8 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

He's the best you've got, surely better to support him than throw bricks from the sidelines?  This is how the UK ended up with over a decade of Tory disaster... New Labour project died due to internal bollocks.

Among politicians and businessmen, "Pragmatism" is the current term for 'To hell with our children.'  - Edward Abbey

39 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Among politicians and businessmen, "Pragmatism" is the current term for 'To hell with our children.'  - Edward Abbey

It's difficult.

Sometimes radical change is desired, sometimes it's needed - but it does have a lower success rate than slower pragmatism, history is pretty clear on that. People have their own inertia that doesn't like the idea of rapid change, and that's difficult to overcome.

It pisses me off too, but if shit is actually going to get done rather than just howling into the wind for its own sake (which does sometimes feel good), some compromise and pragmatism has to happen.

Edit: Shit is going to get done that actually lasts, that is, rather than something that gets done and then gets reversed because everyone is pissed off about it.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

It's difficult.

Sometimes radical change is desired, sometimes it's needed - but it does have a lower success rate than slower pragmatism, history is pretty clear on that. People have their own inertia that doesn't like the idea of rapid change, and that's difficult to overcome.

It pisses me off too, but if shit is actually going to get done rather than just howling into the wind for its own sake (which does sometimes feel good), some compromise and pragmatism has to happen.

Edit: Shit is going to get done that actually lasts, that is, rather than something that gets done and then gets reversed because everyone is pissed off about it.

Yes, however... 40+ years of "pragmatic action" on Climate Change has  put us in the position we find ourselves today, a planet on the verge of death as we know it.

50+ years of economic pragamtism has made home ownership for the young an impossible dream, has sentenced our children to a worse life and shorter life expectrancy than us, has made homelessness normal, has seen the explosion of foodbanks and the inability for people to buy medicines, get mental and dental health help.

May be a doodle of text

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Yes, however... 40+ years of "pragmatic action" on Climate Change has  put us in the position we find ourselves today, a planet on the verge of death as we know it.

50+ years of economic pragamtism has made home ownership for the young an impossible dream, has sentenced our children to a worse life and shorter life expectrancy than us, has made homelessness normal, has seen the explosion of foodbanks and the inability for people to buy medicines, get mental and dental health help.

May be a doodle of text

You don't have to sell me on the inaction regarding climate change - though "verge of death as we know it" is overstating it, the Earth has been through changes more drastic than the present one and life has gone on, it's just us humans and multiple associated species that may have the problem.

I'm just not convinced that "radical" action is any more effective than "pragmatism" in this regard. If there's proof, then I might consider it further.

NB. Pretty much the entirety of human civilisation has been ridiculously unequal - it's just in the last several decades that gap has closed meaningfully, though it is seemingly opening again now, and that cannot be allowed to continue.

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

You don't have to sell me on the inaction regarding climate change - though "verge of death as we know it" is overstating it, the Earth has been through changes more drastic than the present one and life has gone on, it's just us humans and multiple associated species that may have the problem.

I'm just not convinced that "radical" action is any more effective than "pragmatism" in this regard. If there's proof, then I might consider it further.
Are you convinced that the Pragmatic approach is any more effective than radical?.. If there's proof, then I might consider it further

NB. Pretty much the entirety of human civilisation has been ridiculously unequal - it's just in the last several decades that gap has closed meaningfully, though it is seemingly opening again now, and that cannot be allowed to continue.

The gap began closing long before the last few decades and our society was focused on making the world a better place for all, however the "last few decades" has seen that change.

Sure, my grandparnets didnt have an inside dunny and i do... but I also have a longer and better life expectancy and my children and grandchildren do not.

Anyway, ill leave this here because this is the coronation thread and the $100s of millions being spent will have a pragmatic benefit to the rich and middle class in the UK thanks to you know, tourists and shit.

Map of street parties being held for the coronation...

image.png.249edd79f1b075f63c0037e178cc5f50.png

Oops, sorry, no, thats the map of foodbanks in the UK

12 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Anyway, ill leave this here because this is the coronation thread and the $100s of millions being spent will have a pragmatic benefit to the rich and middle class in the UK thanks to you know, tourists and shit.

Map of street parties being held for the coronation...

image.png.249edd79f1b075f63c0037e178cc5f50.png

Oops, sorry, no, thats the map of foodbanks in the UK

Are you convinced that the Pragmatic approach is any more effective than radical?.. If there's proof, then I might consider it further.

Yeah, I am. A lot of big changes that lasted through history came about because people had time to get used to the idea and were convinced of it by "pragmatists".

The gap began closing long before the last few decades and our society was focused on making the world a better place for all, however the "last few decades" has seen that change.

Sure, my grandparnets didnt have an inside dunny and i do... but I also have a longer and better life expectancy and my children and grandchildren do not.

I'm not sure that's true, I think it's only in the last couple of decades that things have began to backslide. 1960-2000 (apart from some parts of the 80's) was the era when things really moved forward IMO.

I do agree that things are backsliding now and that cannot be allowed to happen.

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I think that would be a good thing generally, although the idea that had these jewels not been given to Royalty they would have been kept by those countries and not sold or stolen by dodgy leaders is a bit far fetched.

The jewels belong to those countries, not ours. They can do what the hell they want with them. Typical British arrogance, we’ll take care of your possessions because you won’t be able to. 

• Like 2