Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LanguedocFox

The Coronation

If, after a nuclear holocaust, Lord Lucan floated to the top of Atlantis in the Bermuda Triangle riding Shergar and was contemplating a new way of government for the new world, I doubt he'd pick the UK's version.  

I'm looking forward to it.  

It's a more or less one-off occasion and uniquely British.  It isn't like it's an annual event, so I shall be watching and taking it in.  

I've no plans to host or attend parties but I have no issue at all with those that do want to go all out.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, nnfox said:

I'm looking forward to it.  

It's a more or less one-off occasion and uniquely British.  It isn't like it's an annual event, so I shall be watching and taking it in.  

I've no plans to host or attend parties but I have no issue at all with those that do want to go all out.

There are so many things you can do/see which are uniquely British which aren't a throwback to colonialism, theft and corruption.

I hate that this family are seen as the peak of Britishness.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a monarchist, perfectly happy for there to be a king, a coronation, and for people to celebrate it. But “swearing allegiance to the king” is massively missing the point with a modern monarchy and modern world. Even for those who do it should be an unspoken thing (such is the British way) and for younger generations it would only serve to be massively off-putting for an institution and a man with which they feel a disconnect.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, l444ry said:

If, after a nuclear holocaust, Lord Lucan floated to the top of Atlantis in the Bermuda Triangle riding Shergar and was contemplating a new way of government for the new world, I doubt he'd pick the UK's version.  

I don't know, I think there are lots of advantages to the UK's system of government including having a non-political head of state. The problems here are more due to choices made by the electorate than any inherent faults with the system in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Raj said:

Freaks are ALREADY camping on the mall 4 days prior.

Weirdos

Personally, I wouldn't attend even if given a front row seat but calling those that are interested, passionate even, freaks and weirdos just because you aren't, is out of order.

I have strong views on religions and the folk who who believe in them and attend church, go on pilgrimages and so on. I find it bewildering, but wouldn't label them as you have with those interested in Royalty and general pomp and ceremony . 

• Like 1

I'd say I'm not bothered, but this is costing £100,000,000 of tax payers money, so I really am - because people are literally starving and the NHS is broken. There are 100m better things to spent money on that putting a gold hat on a man sitting on a gold chair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Personally, I wouldn't attend even if given a front row seat but calling those that are interested, passionate even, freaks and weirdos just because you aren't, is out of order.

I have strong views on religions and the folk who who believe in them and attend church, go on pilgrimages and so on. I find it bewildering, but wouldn't label them as you have with those interested in Royalty and general pomp and ceremony . 

Have you seen them?

I believe the description is correct. 

• Like 1

I'm not in the country for it. I was really anti-monarchy when I was younger, but now I just don't care either way. On a human level I found it very distasteful seeing people shouting abuse at Charles on the street after his mum had just died. You may not like the monarchy, you may not like him, but that's just out of order. 

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Thanks for trying to give a better opinion and a balanced view.

However i will stick to my original description!!!!!!

To those who have posted about the cost of the ceremony during cost of living crisis,  I can see your points but would be interested to see what is the alternative.   Realistically we all cannot just ignore and do nothing about the coronation.    Abolishing the monarchy would be a natural long term option but I am talking about now.

The costs will always be extortionate and can be better spent but that is the trade off to having the monarchy I suppose.

55 minutes ago, The Blur said:

To those who have posted about the cost of the ceremony during cost of living crisis,  I can see your points but would be interested to see what is the alternative.   Realistically we all cannot just ignore and do nothing about the coronation.    Abolishing the monarchy would be a natural long term option but I am talking about now.

The costs will always be extortionate and can be better spent but that is the trade off to having the monarchy I suppose.

But loads of tourists will come and buy mugs and flag and things and this will equal out the billions spent on Charlie and his cronies!!!

Im being sarcastic btw...

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

The alternative to the coronation? Just coronate him without all the extra fluff. Like the grand opening of my front door every day. Just go in the front door, there's absolutely no requirement for all the additional b0llocks. Nobody is waiting for me with tickertape, balloons, a red carpet and fire cannons when I come home from work.

I think there is something to be said for the pageantry, a reminder to any prime minister or any potential prime minister that this is what they don’t get; that they’re there for the service and not the glory.

I am hearing a lot though that this is the last time there will be pageantry on this scale for a coronation, that William wouldn’t have this in the future. There’s always been the suspicion with Charles that he wants all this a bit too much, which is partly why it’s hard to take to him.