Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LanguedocFox

The Coronation

12 minutes ago, LanguedocFox said:

A couple of my neighbours, both retired middle-class people like me, have put up bunting over the weekend. One couple, who I like a lot, have gone full-on, with banners incorporating photographs of King Charles. And I was really surprised - shocked, even.

I’m old enough to remember the last Coronation, when we had street parties and stuff like that. But this time, no-one has suggested any kind of celebration, and if they did I’m not sure I’d join in. I’m really not interested, and will be glad when it’s all over and done with. Am I in the minority?

For a moment I was a little surprised by your post, then saw you have moved to lovely Devon, home of many of my ancestors.

I think a lot of people don't care, and those that do are much more likely to get some snacks in and watch TV than shout about it.

Enjoy the bank holiday but couldnt give 2 hours about the Royal family circus show.

Our close is setting up bunting and neighbours doing food and stuff, I politely declined and told them we are away for the day...

• Like 1

The whole show is nothing more than a historically recent affectation to compete with the now defunct Russian and German monarchies. It’s an obscene waste of public money.

Shooting would take time and money. Send them all round the back of Wetherspoons with a single knife. The winner gets a council house in Hull to live in and standard benefits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Daggers said:

The whole show is nothing more than a historically recent affectation to compete with the now defunct Russian and German monarchies. It’s an obscene waste of public money.

Shooting would take time and money. Send them all round the back of Wetherspoons with a single knife. The winner gets a council house in Hull to live in and standard benefits.

If you expect one of them to fight, surely you need a prize they want to live for?

2 hours ago, LanguedocFox said:

A couple of my neighbours, both retired middle-class people like me, have put up bunting over the weekend. One couple, who I like a lot, have gone full-on, with banners incorporating photographs of King Charles. And I was really surprised - shocked, even.

I’m old enough to remember the last Coronation, when we had street parties and stuff like that. But this time, no-one has suggested any kind of celebration, and if they did I’m not sure I’d join in. I’m really not interested, and will be glad when it’s all over and done with. Am I in the minority?

If it’s a minority then I think it’s a very sizeable one.The bloke and his Mrs give me the creeps.

As it is 70 years after the last comparable event I will watch it but I will certainly not "swear allegiance to the King and his heirs".

After 'Labour Day' and the local elections on Thursday and, hopefully a victory tonight, it will be a refreshing change.

I'm looking forward to it. I find a lot of the traditions and ritual very interesting. I feel quite connected to it as well growing up close to Sandringham. 

I imagine this will be the last coronation in this style to be honest. A lot of younger Brits seem very embarrassed by it and we're becoming a cultural colony of the US . Really can't see this ever happening again.

• Like 1

I wasn't going to watch it but now that I know Tom Cruise will be there I will watch it with abated breath.

Can we swear allegiance to all the 'celebrities' that have been invited? 

3 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Better kings:

• King Joffrey
  • Paul King
  • King Kong
  • King Cobra
  • The Kings Singers

The they used to play for us King List.

Andy King        

Craig King        

George King        

Harry King        

Ian King        

J King        

Jack King        

Johnny King        

Rab King        

Teddy King        

Willie King

I see a lot of criticism of this on the basis that it's taking place while ordinary people are struggling with the cost of living and increasing poverty and inequality. But Britons are significantly poorer than they were 15 years ago because enough of them voted for this to be the case, not because of the royal family. And the cost of a coronation is a grain of sand when compared to the economic damage done to this country by deliberate government policy. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bovril said:

I see a lot of criticism of this on the basis that it's taking place while ordinary people are struggling with the cost of living and increasing poverty and inequality. But Britons are significantly poorer than they were 15 years ago because enough of them voted for this to be the case, not because of the royal family. And the cost of a coronation is a grain of sand when compared to the economic damage done to this country by deliberate government policy. 

Get all the tory mps and the same amount of people in line for the throne, snap a pool cue in half in the middle of a field and have the survivor win a council house to see their days out in. 

1 hour ago, foxy boxing said:

Not my king, and I certainly won't be pledging my allegiance to an adulterer who married DIana out of duty not love and used her for an heir and a spare. The royals live a life of opulence and luxury all at taxpayers expense.  Having the whole ceremony during a cost of living crisis while bills are sky rocketing is absolutely sickening. Down with the crown.

I thought they were more self funded these days? (property rent, tourists paying to go round Buck Palace etc.)

Might be wrong...

• Like 2

For me, it's about seeing family/friends and having a good time in hopefully decent weather with a few drinks etc.

My opinion about the whole monarchy/Royal family thing is slightly tarred with the in-house allegations made by Harry (maybe egged on by Meghan) about his brother, the Prince Andrew case etc.

Makes me miss the Queen even more, to be honest.

Edited by Wymsey

22 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I thought they were more self funded these days? (property rent, tourists paying to go round Buck Palace etc.)

Might be wrong...

That’s the point. It’s our property and the tourists should be paying us to go round the palace. The whole ‘after the revenue they bring in, the royal family only cost us £5 a year, wouldn’t you pay that?’ argument is a joke. A) no I wouldn’t b) they don’t bring in any revenue, if they disappeared tomorrow that revenue would still be there, it’s all cost. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Might be wrong...

Yes. It's great that they have the business acumen to develop revenue streams from the property business they have spent so long working hard to build up. I remember when the royals only had a wheelbarrow full of dodgy DVDs on Walthamstow market.

They're an inspiration to everyone that with a positive mindset, some hard sweat, and the convenience of being born into a family owning billions in stolen land, you too can become king.

The whingers really need to give themselves a good hard look in the mirror. They'll never achieve anything in life and never dine on swans with their poor attitude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1