Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LanguedocFox

The Coronation

11 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Anyone see the bit where they oiled up the king with the special king oiling spoon yesterday?

Totally normal stuff, that.

It's normal for coronations. It's part of a ceremony dating back a thousand years. History, it's important. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Firstly, no, we can't "all agree". Stop speaking for myself and other people who have literally disagreed with your view in this thread who obviously don't agree.

Just like the previous post I quoted, you have an equal right to desire that police and government behave in an authoritarian manner, when it suits your own personal view, that I do for wanting to permit protest. You have a right to your view, myself and others have a right to ours. That was what I found so laughably stupid about the previous post who tried to shoehorn freedom and democracy into their justification for the complete opposite of both those principles. You haven't thankfully, but make a different point that I think strays I to what I consider to just be human decency which is a judgemental concept. When the Queen died, people had the right to protest, but they didn't as most people considered that extremely poor taste. But they still had the right to do so but chose not to. Apart from one bloke shouting at Prince Andrew, I don't recall a single protest at the procession. 

Environmentalism, abortion, trans rights, nuclear weapons, government policies, religion are all things that have actual impact on how people live and are also, at times, divisive. I have strong views on the above and consider them far more important than the justification for the continued existance of a monarchy. For a functioning democracy to work, and for people to be truly free, without the illusion of freedom, people need to be allowed to protest. There is a sliding scale (funerals as the example we've used) where discretion is applied. A few people holding cards at a coronation saying "down with this sort of thing" is perfectly fine. 

Boris Johnson (as if a soppy lefty like me using him to make a point...) nailed it when he said what a wonderful example of freedom we have in this country when someone can shout "twat" at the PM on his morning run. Freedom and democracy, which is slowly being chipped away is about letting those we disagree with have a voice and tolerating them the most when it's things we disagree with. I'll never ever say protests should be banned as the right should always exists and I trust the majority of people to apply that right at appropriate times. Saturday was an extremely appropriate time.

Protest was allowed.  Not all protests, because the police decided (rightly or wrongly) that some of the protestors were overstepping the mark and had to be stopped, others were protesting within acceptable limits and could continue.  There have to be limits to what protestors can do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spudulike said:

It's normal for coronations. It's part of a ceremony dating back a thousand years. History, it's important. 

Just because something has happened for a relatively short period of time given the scope of human life and the universe doesn't mean it should go unquestioned.

But if you're in favour of oiling up old men with ceremonial spoons because a thousand years ago ritual was important to consolidate power then that's fine.

But let's not pretend that in contemporary society it's outdated and ridiculous. ****ing oiling up grown up men with special spoons.

Edited by foxile5
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Just because something has happened for a relatively short period of time given the scope of human life and the universe doesn't mean it should go unquestioned.

But if you're in favour of oiling up old men with ceremonial spoons because a thousand years ago ritual was important to consolidate power then that's fine.

But let's not pretend that in contemporary society it's outdated and ridiculous. ****ing oiling up grown up men with special spoons.

What is the sentence? "Tradition is peer pressure from dead people."

Also you make a great point here in that these traditions may well not be a guide for human behaviour as they have existed for a relative flyspeck of human history - to say nothing of Earth and Universal history - anyway.

3 hours ago, Fox1norfolk said:

History is a series of lies agreed upon by historians

What rubbish. 

So you're saying ancient Greece, ancient Rome, the Mayan empire, Chinese history etc. etc. is all lies?

Are you claiming the Spanish Armada, the world wars, the revolutions in various nations are lies?

Essentially you're claiming that every historical moment since the big bang (or whatever) are lies?

All the physical evidence of history that exists, are lies.

You've made a bit of a fool of yourself there, unless you can qualify it with facts. Which I doubt.

Edited by Parafox

3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

What rubbish. 

So you're saying ancient Greece, ancient Rome, the Mayan empire, Chinese history etc. etc. is all lies?

Are you claiming the Spanish Armada, the world wars, the revolutions in various nations are lies?

You've made a bit of a fool of yourself there, unless you can qualify it with facts. Which I doubt.

Napoleon

4 hours ago, foxile5 said:

You seem to be showing an unhealthy obsession with this :o

36 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

You seem to be showing an unhealthy obsession with this :o

2 posts on it. One pointing it out and one responding to you.

By that token I'm also obsessed with Yann Kermorgant's penalty miss.

I'm looking today at the images of Charles and Camilla during the coronation on the front pages of the papers (I've made effort to avoid it all this far) and irrespective of whatever you think of the monarchy, was anybody else's first impression that surely modernisation of the process and particularly their outfits is required? Is it just me that thinks they look completely absurd, literally like a bad panto? 

1 hour ago, Nick said:

I'm looking today at the images of Charles and Camilla during the coronation on the front pages of the papers (I've made effort to avoid it all this far) and irrespective of whatever you think of the monarchy, was anybody else's first impression that surely modernisation of the process and particularly their outfits is required? Is it just me that thinks they look completely absurd, literally like a bad panto? 

Isn't the royal family just a bad panto now anyway? 

But the public lap it up like sheep

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick said:

I missed everything on purpose, saw the pictures, and was waiting for Jon The Hat to go off on one about drag acts reading to children. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

My antidote to the Coronation was to be booked to perform at a wedding. One of those where there was a lot of love and happiness in the room, and it was topped off by the bride also turning 50 that day. 

6 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Went to a wedding over the weekend, good night, but it was the first time i've ever seen a stripper performing for the brides birthday.

Always the quiet ones... 

• Haha 2