Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stadt

Wingers

We only have Barnes and Albrighton in contract as of July, it's a position we've neglected for years as our last permanent signings were Perez in 2019 and Ghezzal in 2018. Seemingly Barnes is leaving (probably regardless of the division we're in) and regrettably Albrighton seems finished. Maswanhise has scored 18 goals in 51 PL2 apps over the last 2 seasons so can probably deputise as 3rd choice.

The likelihood is we're going to need 3 wide players. We'll be constrained by the budget so I think a more expensive permanent signing, a cheap(er) or free agent and loan would be the most cost-effective approach.

LW

-

Maswanhise

-

RW

-

Albrighton

-

At LW

Carlos Borges - Loan - PL2 player of the year, 21 G 12 A

?
?

At RW:

Rak-Sayki - Loan - Did well at Charlton on loan from Palace last year, left footed and quick, 15 G, 8 A.

Sebastian Jorgensen - Permanent - 22, at Silkeborg wouldn't cost more than a couple of million. He's a Bowen-like RW, not particularly quick but a strong finisher.

Reiss Nelson - Free - You'd expect he'd have better offers but it's worth enquiring.

Id absolutely love for us to get Nelson but Im going to guess he will end up in germany.  Will probably be the next Gnabry  ,,, we are more likely to go back in for Maitland-niles from the Arsenal reject pile :facepalm: He's actually going to be free this summer as well. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

David Martinez is my ideal choice but he doesn't turn 18 until after the January window, another Venezuelan is Yerson Chacón both probably wouldn't cost a huge amount and both are realistic options regardless of division, especially when you see Norwich pick up Marcelino Nunez.

Cost wise above those, Leonardo Fernandez who plays for Toluca I've also suggested and can play outwide or behind the striker, and his teammate at Toluca Maximiliano Araújo looks very good as well and can play left back or left wing (both of these are probably out of reach if we go down though)

Ernest Nuamah from Nordsjælland is probably attainable regardless of division but feel he'll likely have offers from bigger clubs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

We only have Barnes and Albrighton in contract as of July, it's a position we've neglected for years as our last permanent signings were Perez in 2019 and Ghezzal in 2018. Seemingly Barnes is leaving (probably regardless of the division we're in) and regrettably Albrighton seems finished. Maswanhise has scored 18 goals in 51 PL2 apps over the last 2 seasons so can probably deputise as 3rd choice.

The likelihood is we're going to need 3 wide players. We'll be constrained by the budget so I think a more expensive permanent signing, a cheap(er) or free agent and loan would be the most cost-effective approach.

LW

-

Maswanhise

-

RW

-

Albrighton

-

At LW

Carlos Borges - Loan - PL2 player of the year, 21 G 12 A

?
?

At RW:

Rak-Sayki - Loan - Did well at Charlton on loan from Palace last year, left footed and quick, 15 G, 8 A.

Sebastian Jorgensen - Permanent - 22, at Silkeborg wouldn't cost more than a couple of million. He's a Bowen-like RW, not particularly quick but a strong finisher.

Reiss Nelson - Free - You'd expect he'd have better offers but it's worth enquiring.

Nelson has apparently been offered a new 4 year deal at Arsenal

• Sad 1

Barnes has been linked with West Ham, so think he will be sold unless we stay up. Maybe he should go anyway, but he's been our top scorer despite all the criticism he receives. 

I dread to say it, but I think we might play wingbacks next season. Think about how many players we will need... If we play 352 then we'd have Kristiansen, Thomas, Justin and maybe Ricardo (I don't think we sell both him and Castagne). These wouldn't cut it in the Premier League but probably would in the Championship, Ricardo especially. 

Then you have money for midfielders which is the area we will be decimated in with Maddison and Tielemans going.

I'm not saying I like this way of setting up the team, but it would make a lot of sense. 

Otherwise loaning out Carlo Borges (PL2 player of the season) and Amad Diallo / Facundo Pellestri could be good options just to get us back up.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

I like the idea of getting Nelson in. I can see why Arsenal want him to commit as the English tax will mean they'll still get a decent fee, and they're going to need to rotate more next season. But he needs a home and a place to play every week and I think he could flourish in that environment.

I also agree with @StriderHiryu - if we can't get the wide forwards in, we'll probably need to switch to wing-backs as we have an abundance of players who can play there, and it should help to account for their defensive shortcomings (in the case of Kristiansen and Thomas, for example). But, even in that scenario, we'll need wide forwards if playing a 3-4-3, and if we use 3-5-2 (or 3-5-1-1) we'll need a CF/supporting striker if Vardy calls it a day and Iheanacho or Daka move on. Plus there's going to be a lot of churn in central midfield with question marks hanging over Maddison, Ndidi, Soumare, Mendy, Choudhury.

The rebuild could get messy unless we have a real, joined-up plan between recruitment and coaching staff. Essentially, the club needs to know who it's approaching as soon as our league status is confirmed at 6.30pm on Sunday.

Braybrooke and Alves will be crucial, I think, if they can return fit and healthy and as promising as they were previously. Plus I think Maswanhise and Marçal-Madivadua are deserving of a chance to step up. I also think there might be room for a rogue U18 player to steam ahead and make their mark. I don't know what it is but I've a feeling one of them would take their opportunity if presented with one.

• Like 1

Just now, ALC Fox said:

Braybrooke and Alves will be crucial, I think, if they can return fit and healthy and as promising as they were previously. Plus I think Maswanhise and Marçal-Madivadua are deserving of a chance to step up. I also think there might be room for a rogue U18 player to steam ahead and make their mark. I don't know what it is but I've a feeling one of them would take their opportunity if presented with one.

If we go down, giving some of those young players a chance needs to be the order of the day. With a 46 game season they will get plenty of games and will accelerate their development. Hopefully some of them come good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Ilias Chair - 25 years old at QPR - will only have 1 year left on his contract in the summer

5 goals and 9 assists whilst playing off the left wing

Duk - 23 years old at Aberdeen

16 goals and 6 assists whilst mainly playing off the left wing

Aaron Collins - 25 years old at Bristol Rovers

16 goals and 11 assists whilst mainly playing off the left wing

Thibo Somers - 24 years old at Cercle Brugge

7 goals and 7 assists as a right winger

Hong Hyun-Seok - 23 years old at Gent

9 goals and 9 assists mainly operating on the left but also would pop up on the right, might be a good 10 who you let roam around

Alieu Fadera - 21 years old at Zulte Waregem

9 goals and 9 assists mainly as a left winger

Fraser Hornby - 23 years old at Oostende on loan from Stade Reims

8 goals and 2 assists playing mainly on the right

Jón Thorsteinsson - 24 years old at Leuven

Might be a bit mean taking him from Leuven but 12 goals and 3 assists as a left winger

Jan-Niklas Beste - 24 years old at Heidenheim

11 goals and 12 assists as a left winger

Fabian Reese - 25 years old at Holstein Kiel

10 goals and 7 assists mainly as a left winger but also can play on the right

Would love Duk just for the "ay up me duk" potential

Will repeat my call for Gustav Isaksen.

Piroe can play on the RW and gives us another option up top.

Ruben Vargas if we stay up and Augsburg go down looks like a good option.

1 hour ago, alanf0x said:

Barnes will join Villa in the summer - that should force our hand to finally sign about 4 wingers that we need!! 

A swap for more of their academy players

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Duk - 23 years old at Aberdeen

Fraser Hornby - 23 years old at Oostende on loan from Stade Reims

Duk: (pronounced Dook) offer £20m and he's yours....😁. In all seriousness he needs another season playing 1st team football to see if he's ready for a step up. Moving to a prem or champ club will see him sitting on the sidelines. 

Hornby: avoid. Played for us last season and was terrible, an utter waste of a 6 month loan spell.