Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Just Stop Oil

Are they going the best way to go about protests, by disrupting professional sports and glueing themselves onto roads and annoying much of the public in doing so?

Or would it be better if they go down the political route, legally - I.e., teaming up with a political party or some big multinational companies to try and find a way of driving a more 'green' way of travel etc?.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Are they going the best way to go about protests, by disrupting professional sports and glueing themselves onto roads and annoying much of the public in doing so?

Or would it be better if they go down the political route, legally - I.e., teaming up with a political party or some big multinational companies to try and find a way of driving a more 'green' way of travel etc?.

Do you not think they and others have pursued every possible legal route to get our, and other governments, to do more? There is not enough political will to make the big decisions. We've banned free plastic bags and plastic straws and single use plastic cutlery. It's all good things to do but it's just pissing into a swimming pool compared to going ahead with new oil extraction. 

It's simple the government needs to stop this https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/07/uk-offers-new-north-sea-oil-and-gas-licences-despite-climate-concerns

And the protests will stop. Nobody wants more oil production, nobody wants these disruptive protests. It's in the government's greedy hands.

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Do you not think they and others have pursued every possible legal route to get our, and other governments, to do more? There is not enough political will to make the big decisions. We've banned free plastic bags and plastic straws and single use plastic cutlery. It's all good things to do but it's just pissing into a swimming pool compared to going ahead with new oil extraction. 

It's simple the government needs to stop this https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/07/uk-offers-new-north-sea-oil-and-gas-licences-despite-climate-concerns

And the protests will stop. Nobody wants more oil production, nobody wants these disruptive protests. It's in the government's greedy hands.

Is this you?

skynews-just-stop-oil-protest_6124864.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain... said:

If you condone these types of actions for cause you believe in, you will have to accept the same types of actions for causes you disagree with

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Daggers said:

You could’ve just posted “I don’t understand science”.

Perhaps there are some that feel that elimating all fossil fuel products including plastics and lubricants within the next 10 years is not feasible.

Assuming the above is true, there is less embedded carbon in these products should the oil they are taken from isn't taken across the world in diesel transport ships.

It would also ensure that tax revenue could be reinvested in green fuel sources for the future.

Or we could simply eat avocado on sourdough toast, then chuck some paint around.

Either solution has scientific basis as far as I can see.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I get the disruption argument, but it only works if they’re ultimately bringing a cause to the public’s attention and garnering support. Are they doing that? Because they come across to me more like spoilt rich people tagging themselves onto a cause rather than actual persuaders.

”Just Stop Oil”. Yes, we get it. We all want oil stopped as well, but surely we’re in a position now of needing solutions rather than howling woe at the moon.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Others are free to adopt the traditional routes of banging their heads against a brick wall, fighting the media inspired wall of stupid that comes out to play on any online social media outlet. 

You are free to follow that route. I question the validity and rationalisation of it given the clear and present failure if you look at the outcomes.  

Or, one adopts an approach of direct action. 

their methods alienate them to any sensible person

Really? I’m a scientist, I value evidence. Evidence should inform legislative action - but it doesn’t.

Personal and corporate bank accounts are dictating policy at the expense of the environment and the future.

Ad revenue and restricted ownership drives public discourse through the media.

Corporate sponsored troll farms egg on the brainless through social media. 

At some point, and everyone gets there at different points, you stop and decide to take a stand. 

Maybe I’m just not “sensible”? I’m OK with that. 

As long as the stand doesn't involve cutting back on foreign holidays then I'm down.

• Haha 1

Personally I'm not willing to spend time in prison on behalf of an ungrateful public who will jeer and applaud my arrest, that is if they don't have the chance to assault me for causing them mild annoyance. I could fluff myself by pretending I'm more respectable rational and sensible perhaps while attacking people who are willing to take a stand and also who are facing consequences for that but I don't see the need for that. If they succeed then it will be far more meaningful than a bunch of nobodies getting in a tizz because their sports got disrupted. 

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, kenny said:

Perhaps there are some that feel that elimating all fossil fuel products including plastics and lubricants within the next 10 years is not feasible.

Assuming the above is true, there is less embedded carbon in these products should the oil they are taken from isn't taken across the world in diesel transport ships.

It would also ensure that tax revenue could be reinvested in green fuel sources for the future.

Or we could simply eat avocado on sourdough toast, then chuck some paint around.

Either solution has scientific basis as far as I can see.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63543307

I think you are confusing them with extinction rebellion's aims. Just stop oil is solely focussed on stopping the government exploring new oil licenses. Not eliminating fossil fuels in 10 years.

These protests are a direct result of the government going back on their climate pledges and agreements.

Knowing everything you know about oil do you think the government should be exploring new licenses to drill for more oil?

Do you think the government should be held to account for not following through with what it promised on tackling climate issues?

These protests are to highlight this single issue and whilst I don't necessarily agree with all their methods I do support the right to protest and the right to civil disobedience in the face of a dishonest government.

There is also plenty of legal action going on:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/12/uk-ministers-face-legal-challenge-over-north-sea-oil-and-gas-licences

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Bilo said:

The really frustrating thing is that their critically important message is lost in their absurd methods. Few interlocutors and commentators focus on what they are fighting for in favour of how they're doing it.

The spokespeople they have are PR kryptonite, their methods alienate them to any sensible person and the public persona of those partaking in protests are the embodiment of 1970s stereotypes straight out of The Young Ones. 

It's sadly true, the message is clear (see above) but they really struggle to get it across and these tactics currently only serve to raise their own profile in a negative way rather than the cause.

• Like 1

Bunch of absolute morons and cretins who are far more interested in Instagram likes and their own egos than accelerating the race to 2050. There are so many ways to engage. Did they feed into Chris skidmore’s net zero review? Green finance strategy? Transition pathway? Are they even carbon literate accredited?!?! Probably all no because it’s 2023 and it’s easier to look trendy and ‘insightful’ on the internet than do anything useful 

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63543307

I think you are confusing them with extinction rebellion's aims. Just stop oil is solely focussed on stopping the government exploring new oil licenses. Not eliminating fossil fuels in 10 years.

These protests are a direct result of the government going back on their climate pledges and agreements.

Knowing everything you know about oil do you think the government should be exploring new licenses to drill for more oil?

Do you think the government should be held to account for not following through with what it promised on tackling climate issues?

These protests are to highlight this single issue and whilst I don't necessarily agree with all their methods I do support the right to protest and the right to civil disobedience in the face of a dishonest government.

There is also plenty of legal action going on:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/12/uk-ministers-face-legal-challenge-over-north-sea-oil-and-gas-licences

I'm not an expert in oil, but we are typically expected to 'run out' of north sea oil by 2035-2040 on the current extractions.

On the assumption we will still need some fossil fuels after this date, then yes I support the new licences. I also support more investment in renewable fuels and am pleased with the progress the UK has made in this area.

• Like 1