Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Just Stop Oil

They seem to actually drive away the general public in believing that they're doing the right thing in terms of trying to get the government to reduce its oil reliance.

The only protest that I had to give them a little credit for was blocking some roads, instead of getting some protesters to strangely sit on a snooker table / run across a cricket pitch and throw orange powder everywhere..

In honour of OzLeicester who I feel would be commenting if he could and  whilst I may disagree with him on some things,  true discussions  should have a balance of opinions., in the Intrests of playing devil’s advocate:

Just Stop Oil has repeatedly hit the headlines in recent months after a series of high-profile protests, including disrupting play at Wimbledon. 

The group is campaigning for more action on climate change, but its tactics - which have also included blocking major roads - have faced criticism.

What is Just Stop Oil? 

Just Stop Oil is an environmental activist group founded after Extinction Rebellion and Insulate Britain, with organisers from both at the helm.

The movement first came to attention following a series of protests in March 2022. This included pitch invasions at several Premier League football grounds.

There have been other notable protests since then, including disruption at oil terminals and on some of the country's busiest motorways. It has also targeted major sporting events.

What does Just Stop Oil want?

The group wants the government to halt new licences for the exploration of oil and other fossil fuels in the UK. 

It describes itself as "a coalition of groups working together to ensure the government commits to halting new fossil fuel licensing and production".

The government plans to license more than 100 new oil and gas projects by 2025.

Unlike Extinction Rebellion, which campaigns on the single big issue of climate change, Just Stop Oil's protests have a more specific focus.

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

I saw the protesters threw a 1000 piece jigsaw all over court 18

Very puzzling 

They went straight across... didn't even bother getting the corners and edges finished first.

Also, where was the thatched cottage?

As with other such incidences of pretty out-there protest, it will be fascinating to see how these guys are viewed in 50 years time or so.

Honestly though, I would take any viewing at all of them at that time, even with the greatest contempt, as a win because it would mean there was still a working civilisation around who could examine history well enough to arrive at that judgement on a large scale. And, lest we forget, those are the stakes in a worst case scenario here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

As with other such incidences of pretty out-there protest, it will be fascinating to see how these guys are viewed in 50 years time or so.

Honestly though, I would take any viewing at all of them at that time, even with the greatest contempt, as a win because it would mean there was still a working civilisation around who could examine history well enough to arrive at that judgement on a large scale. And, lest we forget, those are the stakes in a worst case scenario here.

In 50 years?  You don't have a lot of faith in humankind.  

24 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

In 50 years?  You don't have a lot of faith in humankind.  

I think it is at least a possibility that, at worst case, Mad Max is something close to a reality in that timeframe, yes. Of course, it is thankfully unlikely, but the chain leading us from here to there is reasonably clear, so it should be considered.

Edit: WRT humanity, I've said before and I'll say it again that I tread the line between idealism and cynicism - we could do truly incredible things in the future and create a civilisation that lasts for millenia. But we could also fall into a spiral of misinformation, mistrust and conflict that lays us low. It's up to us.

Edited by leicsmac

1 minute ago, Lako42 said:

I think you can see this already

You certainly can, and the evidence shows in the consistently increasing global temperatures and also in the misinformation proliferated every day about so many things, as well as the lack of cooperation that leads to the above.

However, there is still time to turn things round and some necessary action is being taken. Its just not enough to prevent real trouble, not yet.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, leicsmac said:

If environmental strides are made and we have relative success, it will be despite these idiots and not because of them. We know what they’re arguing for. We know why they’re doing it. But their protest isn’t succeeding in forcing change; instead it’s turning the needed middle support away from their cause.

Now I know you’ll say “well they shouldn’t,” but this is where we are. We need the best solutions we can get for the world as we find it now, not a theoretical one. The cause needs people on side and these idiots are damaging that.

*In fact their actions are so stupid and obnoxious that I find myself genuinely wondering if they’re on some sort of elaborate false flag action paid for by the oil industry.

Edited by Dunge
  • Like 3

I find the hand-wringing after disrupting sporting events a bit pathetic to be honest. The disruption has been minimal at best and all they've done is chuck dyed cornstarch or jigsaw puzzles around. Yet they're making the news and making conversation. I think they've been pretty good protests at the rugby, snooker, cricket and tennis.

I'm torn on the road blocks and slow marching as it does cause real disruption to ordinary people. Organised and agreed protests with road closures and proper diversions could be a better way of doing it if the government or councils could agree something with them. But the cynic in me thinks the Tories would stymie this, especially with the recent crackdowns on protests.

Throwing stuff on art is the thing that gets my goat the most. This probably precipitates a larger discussion because destroying any art goes against my fundamental beliefs but the recent Channel 4 show with Jimmy Carr did make me question that ever so slightly. It does make me uncomfortable to see paint or soup or whatever being chucked on priceless paintings though, even if they can be restored.

But then, when civil liberties are being eroded and legal protests are being oppressed, then that's when more drastic action is needed and I can certainly understand that properly disruptive, illegal action may be required in that case. But disrupting ordinary people is that double-edged sword. It raises awareness but doesn't necessarily inspire kinship.

Edited by ALC Fox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dunge said:

If environmental strides are made and we have relative success, it will be despite these idiots and not because of them. We know what they’re arguing for. We know why they’re doing it. But their protest isn’t succeeding in forcing change; instead it’s turning the needed middle support away from their cause.

Now I know you’ll say “well they shouldn’t,” but this is where we are. We need the best solutions we can get for the world as we find it now, not a theoretical one. The cause needs people on side and these idiots are damaging that.

*In fact their actions are so stupid and obnoxious that I find myself genuinely wondering if they’re on some sort of elaborate false flag action paid for by the oil industry.

I'm not offering any further comment on the protestors and how they're going about their business in the present day because that seems to be pretty redundant - it's been covered extensively already and everyone's viewpoint seems pretty entrenched, including my own which I made clear on page 2 of this thread.

As I said above, if people end up viewing them as planks (or as visionaries) in fifty years time then I'll be delighted because it will mean we still have a civilisation in which such a question and discussion can take place and everyone isn't preoccupied with shanking the next guy for one of the last viable tins of beans. The issue at hand here is big enough that is by no means a certainty.

Reading through opinions on threads like this, I can't help but feel that a lot of people are in denial/have this blind optimism that everything will be ok and we'll solve it all because we have to.

Just now, ajthefox said:

Reading through opinions on threads like this, I can't help but feel that a lot of people are in denial/have this blind optimism that everything will be ok and we'll solve it all because we have to.

....driven by the unshakeable faith the Earth is ours to do with as we wish and it cannot carry on without us? Yeah, and Abrahamic religion is responsible for putting that idea in people's heads - even one's who aren't religious.

That and the simple matter of empathy not extending beyond line of sight both spatially and temporally.

Between them and the nihilists who simply don't care because death-worshipping is somehow in vogue and...well, it can be a bit of a mess.

2 hours ago, Dunge said:

Or some other company that has a vested interest in obtaining government funding and subsidies.