Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

8 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

That is true and I didn’t count that because it was the PL and 5th was still very respectable. I’m saying it would be the worst collapse to not get promoted. because let’s face it we should be, so not to do so would be devastating from this position. In a sense finishing 2nd would be the equivalent of the 5th place collapse… reasonable as most would have taken that, just like 5th. So yes for me not to get promoted would be our biggest collapse 

The difference between finishing 4th and 5th in both those seasons cannot be understated!.. 4th is Champions League qualification (or have you forgot?), not only would that have cost the club hundreds of millions but it also had a massive detrimental effect on attracting better players to the club.

19 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Not being funny but in 2 of the 3 seasons gone we suffered much worse collapses. 14 points clear of 5th with 12 to play wasn’t it? Not saying that will happen this season but it did happen 2 seasons running and the season after we got relegated so I can totally understand why people are pessimistic and I’d be lying if I wasn’t worried about it myself as a lot of that squad is still here. I hope beyond hope and believe we will go up automatically but we can’t be sure of anything.

A big part of that 19/20 collapse under Rodgers was Ricardo Pereira, Ndidi and Vardy's injuries (albeit we should have had midtable form from then on, not relegation). These and Winks are the 3 players in our squad I trust in to do a job no matter the occasion, with Ndidi and Vardy out it's a big worrying but unlike in our most recent seasons i think the quality and level headedness of Ricardo and Winks will be able to get us over the line.

1 minute ago, weller54 said:

The difference between finishing 4th and 5th in both those seasons cannot be understated!.. 4th is Champions League qualification (or have you forgot?), not only would that have cost the club hundreds of millions but it also had a massive detrimental effect on attracting better players to the club.

Yes, I know that… it was truly awful on both occasions but come on, to say not getting promotion this season isn’t a bigger collapse I feel is wrong. To not get promoted will be more devastating 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lad1966 said:

We can’t afford this attitude. You can see from the form guide that QPR and with our recent form, this will be tough, but, I agree with you, we should have enough to win this game. It will be nervy because the pressure will be on us to win. The rewards for winning this, will be worth more then the 3pts, but psychologically it will do us a world of good 🤞🏆

You mean the last 2 games, right, because if you look at our last 5, 6 and 10 games we have the 6th, 5th and 4th best form.

And even then, the Leeds game, we played superbly, Leeds just got all the breaks.

1 minute ago, Tuna said:

For all the Ipswich getting a deflected late goal complaints, I bet they are sick of the amount of penalties we've had this season.

We haven’t had that many have we? Certainly not compared to 10 years ago when we were promoted. And the only one we had this season that I can think shouldn’t have been was Daka against Swansea a few weeks back. Plus we have had a number of stone wallers not given.

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

We lost because we couldn't take our chances. It ain't luck. You make your own.

Maybe, but you don't make your bad luck.

What possible influence, for example, could we have had on the linesman not blowing that call?  None. That's not down to us, that's just bad luck.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Nonsense.  The way we played against Leeds, 99 times out of 100 that's a comfortable win.  It's not every game you have a legit goal disallowed, or concede a late deflected goal - the odds on both those happening (twice with the deflection) in one game must be off the scale.

As a results based business I don't think what I have said is nonsense. 

2 goals scored and five conceded and nil points is not a top of the table performance.

As I have said on many previous occasions in football taking your chances at any level is a priority. Yes, we're great at creating them but have no ruthless streak.

2 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

We haven’t had that many have we? Certainly not compared to 10 years ago when we were promoted. And the only one we had this season that I can think shouldn’t have been was Daka against Swansea a few weeks back. Plus we have had a number of stone wallers not given.

11 in the last 28 games!

2 minutes ago, Tuna said:

For all the Ipswich getting a deflected late goal complaints, I bet they are sick of the amount of penalties we've had this season.

There is at least a few more penalties (including one at their place) we should've been given that we weren't as well

I can't really think remember if any of the ones we have been given weren't actual penalties though?

1 minute ago, Lillehamring said:

Maybe, but you don't make your bad luck.

What possible influence, for example, could we have had on the linesman not blowing that call?  None. That's not down to us, that's just bad luck.

It is major bad luck when having a clear goal ruled out, yes missing easy chances isn’t bad luck though it is poor play so I agree with that 

• Like 1

Just now, moore_94 said:

There is at least a few more penalties (including one at their place) we should've been given that we weren't as well

I can't really think remember if any of the ones we have been given weren't actual penalties though?

Don't know mate, but I'm guessing Ipswich fans or Leeds/Southampton fans see we get a penalty and think "another penalty"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

Daka at home to Swansea recently is the only one that comes to mind.

2 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

As a results based business I don't think what I have said is nonsense. 

2 goals scored and five conceded and nil points is not a top of the table performance.

As I have said on many previous occasions in football taking your chances at any level is a priority. Yes, we're great at creating them but have no ruthless streak.

We have scored 70 goals, most in the league you can't score every chance you create lol 

41 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Also worth noting, this was their biggest game of the season, on a great run, unbeaten at home and, despite some decent but ineffective stuff early on and some lucky goals, they were fortunate to get the result and looked to have completely bottles it whilst we literally ran through them.

The motivation in their 'easy' games won't be so easy to come by, and the longer that winning run goes on the harder it'll be and the more the pressure will be.

spot on, someone with actually perspective on the whole thing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tuna said:

11 in the last 28 games!

More than I thought but as I say, apart from the Daka one, all have been pretty clear cut.

A lot of them have seemed irrelevant in the game context as well, i.e the third in a 3-0 win when the game is done.

55 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I know it’s all about promotion but if we lose out on the title to Leeds I swear I’ll feel as sick as I did after Rodger’s relegated us lol

I know for the club in terms of sustainability and money etc we just have to get up at the first time of asking but emotionally it’s nowhere near the same feeling right now as it felt under Pearson and O’Neil, if anything I wish we could just earn the same cash, stay here and try to win this every season lol 

I get what you mean, and sure it would be a drag especially after leading for so long, but you have to remember that Leeds picked a manager with a track record of doing well in this division, and failing badly in the PL.  We've taken a risk on a long term plan for a much higher ceiling.  As long as we go up i'd rather be there with Maresca that Farke.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Dakas against Swansea was dubious. The one against Cov isn't one I'd moan about not being given either.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Toi be fair, technically we scored 3 goals in the Leeds game!

But, joking aside, we scored twice away to a team unbeaten at home, and who had only conceded 11 goals in 17 matches - not our fault that one was disallowed.

We do create a lot of changes which is a cause for optimism just need a bit of luck at times and cooler heads in front of goal  The loss to Leeds feels worse because we lost to Boro. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Depends whether we completely bottle the last ten minutes. It's not rugby.

We played brilliantly but couldn't finish for shit and there's every sign we crumble under pressure. Not sure I fancy us when the pressure is on tbh.

We'll probably scrape up, and if I think ahead beyond that I'd be really concerned.

I think we're an excellent footballing side but we have zero bottle as the games against Ipswich, Cov and Leeds would suggest.

Against Leeds? so couldn't finish for shit apart from the 2 goals we put past a team that had conceded just 11 goals in 16 games?

And by 'crumble' you mean get caught out by 2 wicked deflections?  Or the other 5 games out of 34 where we've dropped points in the last 15 minutes.  Overall we're still 19-13 in the last 15 minutes.

And this bottling against Cov - dude, have some føkking respect -  we we're a man down from half time and were still on for a point up until the 88th minute - that's not bottling it, that's fighting until you've nothing left to fight with.  Unless you mean the Coventry game where we 'bottled it' by coming back from 1-0 down with two goals in the last 13 minutes?

I get that you're a negative sod, but at least try to come up with some plausible reasons why you think we're shit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Dakas against Swansea was dubious. The one against Cov isn't one I'd moan about not being given either.

Main one I can remember was against Millwall when Fatawu got chopped down after doing their defender who was already on a yellow

Luckily of course that it didn't matter in the end

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Momentum is massive in football. Stranger things have happened than us ****ing this up.

Tell that to Southampton.

First time we lost to leeds, we'd won 9 straight. momentum is fine until you hit a wall.

• Like 1