Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2023/2024 Thread - U18/U21

Just now, davieG said:

Merc

Promising Leicester City talents Wanya Marcal-Madivadua and Tawanda Maswanhise have signed contract extensions with the club – and will now look to make an impact with the first team.

The duo were two of City Under-21s’ leading performers last season, their qualities showing in spite of Ben Petty’s youngsters being relegated from Premier League 2’s top flight. Maswanhise, who operates out wide or up front, bagged eight goals to finish as top scorer, while Marcal-Madivadua, who plays in attacking midfield or on the wing, impressed enough to make the senior squad bench on five occasions under Brendan Rodgers and Dean Smith.

The two 20-year-olds will now look to make the step up and have an impact in the Championship in the new season. They should get opportunities in pre-season friendlies, having both featured in summer matches before.

The Premier League’s official retained list also showed that goalkeeper Arlo Doherty, who made three appearances for the Under-21s in the season just gone, has also signed a new deal. Midfielder Zach Booth and left-back Jahmari Lindsay have received contract offers.

Great news. Really hope we see more of Maswanhise this season. He *could* be the Barnes replacement with the right coaching.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LestaLad said:

Great news. Really hope we see more of Maswanhise this season. He *could* be the Barnes replacement with the right coaching.

Still looks about twelve though. Really think he needed a loan already, but maybe he's one who surprises when given a chance.

40 minutes ago, davieG said:

Merc

Promising Leicester City talents Wanya Marcal-Madivadua and Tawanda Maswanhise have signed contract extensions with the club – and will now look to make an impact with the first team.

The duo were two of City Under-21s’ leading performers last season, their qualities showing in spite of Ben Petty’s youngsters being relegated from Premier League 2’s top flight. Maswanhise, who operates out wide or up front, bagged eight goals to finish as top scorer, while Marcal-Madivadua, who plays in attacking midfield or on the wing, impressed enough to make the senior squad bench on five occasions under Brendan Rodgers and Dean Smith.

The two 20-year-olds will now look to make the step up and have an impact in the Championship in the new season. They should get opportunities in pre-season friendlies, having both featured in summer matches before.

The Premier League’s official retained list also showed that goalkeeper Arlo Doherty, who made three appearances for the Under-21s in the season just gone, has also signed a new deal. Midfielder Zach Booth and left-back Jahmari Lindsay have received contract offers.

Didn't realise they were so young - so many of our academy players are/have been 23-24.

6 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Still think Alves and Braybrooke are the ones we'll see most of this season. 

I would think this is extremely unlikely given their ages and lack of first team experience, as well as their physical statures - the EFL is a tough league to play in  - both need a L1/L2 loan before they'll even be close - though the potential is there.

56 minutes ago, davieG said:

Merc

worse comes to worse they can't be bad options off the bench! 

45 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I would think this is extremely unlikely given their ages and lack of first team experience, as well as their physical statures - the EFL is a tough league to play in  - both need a L1/L2 loan before they'll even be close - though the potential is there.

Not suggesting they'll be mainstays, but think we'll see a bit from them this season. 

29 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Not suggesting they'll be mainstays, but think we'll see a bit from them this season. 

Well, you also need to factor in that they will be injured until well into the season and then will be way short of match fitness, i'd be surprised if we see them play for the academy before christmas.  i guess they might get the odd place on the bench if we're still thin on midfielders after the winter transfer window....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, indierich06 said:

Still think Alves and Braybrooke are the ones we'll see most of this season. 

Despite his pure quality I honestly think Alves will struggle in the pro game. Not due to talent but finding somewhere to play him. He’s bit of a luxury player to have in the team but at the same time, not yet good enough to accommodate in the side. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Despite his pure quality I honestly think Alves will struggle in the pro game. Not due to talent but finding somewhere to play him. He’s bit of a luxury player to have in the team but at the same time, not yet good enough to accommodate in the side. 

That's common with such players at 16/17, that's why they play wide and drift in and out of games. If his development isn't stunted he'll go right to the top, I've little doubt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

That's common with such players at 16/17, that's why they play wide and drift in and out of games. If his development isn't stunted he'll go right to the top, I've little doubt.

I hope your right Ric. I have to hold myself back based of your optimism on players after you broke my heart with the hope you gave me for Tete lol 

19 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Alves has not stood out massively in the U21s. 

There's talent there obviously but i think he's a way off yet..

Braybrooke on the other hand has looked very comfortable at that level and needs a step up that he will surely get this season.. 

• Like 1

Just now, themightyfin said:

Alves has not stood out massively in the U21s. 

There's talent there obviously but i think he's a way off yet..

Braybrooke on the other hand has looked very comfortable at that level and needs a step up that he will surely get this season.. 

God willing they both recover from they’re injuries okay.

• Like 1

Under 21s haven’t been relegated and can never be relegated again! (Unless we drop to Cat 2)

- 1 x single group containing 25 teams

- Teams seeded based on multi-year performance

- Fixtures drawn from 5 pots based on seedings

- 21-game week scenario would involve teams playing each club in their own pot plus 4/5 teams in all other pots, either home or away (would equate to 20 regular season games)

- Results generate a combined table that determines play-off positions

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Under 21s haven’t been relegated!

Teams seeded based on multi-year performance

- 21-game week scenario would involve teams playing each club in their own pot plus 4/5 teams in all other pots, either home or away (would equate to 20 regular season games)

Nice! Hopefully club keep selling tickets for seagrave. Enjoyed going.

All the more reason to get rid of Petty etc now though.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Under 21s haven’t been relegated and can never be relegated again! (Unless we drop to Cat 2)

Hahahahaaaa the luck we get in the academy in this regard is extraordinary. No doubt they'll all be patting themselves on the backs for maintaining their PL2 status again. Whoop whoop. Well done Ben Petty and Jon Rudkin. 

I think this new format is less games is it not? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Noice! We are staying up!!!

What is the potential of Wanya Marcal-Madivadua and Tawanda Maswanhise ? Do they have the potential to make the impact at Championship level. 

A bit of a silver lining for our youngsters dropping down and getting opportunities that would be quite limited in the PL. 

These two, McAteer, Braybrooke and Brunt should all be looking to make impacts. 

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahahahaaaa the luck we get in the academy in this regard is extraordinary. No doubt they'll all be patting themselves on the backs for maintaining their PL2 status again. Whoop whoop. Well done Ben Petty and Jon Rudkin. 

I think this new format is less games is it not? 

We got away with it in 2021 as well when we should have been relegated but because they extended the league we got to stay up

Yeah it looks like it as we played 26 league games this season

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1