Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Our Internationals 23/24

7 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Wales never really had a chance playing a goalkeeper who can't get into his Club's side.

None of their goalkeepers can get into their club sides...

I think I said in a thread a while back it's mad that they've not managed to make/find someone 'welsh' goalkeeper wise in so long!

It's been either Hennesey or Ward for 10 years! 

20 minutes ago, AjcW said:

None of their goalkeepers can get into their club sides...

I think I said in a thread a while back it's mad that they've not managed to make/find someone 'welsh' goalkeeper wise in so long!

It's been either Hennesey or Ward for 10 years! 

One of the reasons while they'll continue to struggle.

I think Danny Ward is as crap as every other Leicester fan, I have no particular Wales bias towards him.

But he kept a clean sheet for 120 minutes and then, in all fairness, Poland smashed in 4 excellent penalties and one slightly tricksy one. Could argue he might have done better with Lewa's but then elite goalkeepers all round the world struggle with that bullshit from pens.

There's no fault on him yesterday.

Belgium subbing on Wout Faes only to concede a 94th minute equaliser did make me chuckle though.

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I think Danny Ward is as crap as every other Leicester fan, I have no particular Wales bias towards him.

But he kept a clean sheet for 120 minutes and then, in all fairness, Poland smashed in 4 excellent penalties and one slightly tricksy one. Could argue he might have done better with Lewa's but then elite goalkeepers all round the world struggle with that bullshit from pens.

Belgium subbing on Wout Faes only to concede a 94th minute equaliser did make me chuckle though.

Tbf to Faes made a brilliant block to stop Bellingham equalising just before he did score in the 94th minute he was not at fault for the goal.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I've just looked and Poland had 0 shots on target. Even for Ward that would have been pretty spectacular to concede in those circumstances.

Didn't see the game, was it just a classic case of 2 sides so scared of losing they forgot to try and win?

27 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I didn’t watch the game but the BBC match stats show Poland having no shots on target during the 120 minutes - surely even our Danny shouldn’t concede in those circumstances 🤔

Edited by Mike Oxlong
filbertway has posted the same whilst I was typing

3 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I didn’t watch the game but the BBC match stats show Poland having no shots on target during the 120 minutes - surely even our Danny shouldn’t concede in those circumstances 🤔

I'm sure he'd have managed to find a way playing for us last season.

15 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I've just looked and Poland had 0 shots on target. Even for Ward that would have been pretty spectacular to concede in those circumstances.

Didn't see the game, was it just a classic case of 2 sides so scared of losing they forgot to try and win?

Narh in all fairness we really went for it. Had a goal disallowed for a very narrow offside (it was, like, I'm not suggesting otherwise), forced a couple of decent saves, had a fair few "nearly" moments.

Poland were very negative but then Poland always are, every major tournament they tend to stink the place out which is a shame because they've got some good players but they just never use them.

We just looked like what we are, really, a Championship level team working hard but just not really quite having the quality in the final third to break down a side parking the bus. In former generations we had a Bale, Ramsey, Bellers, Giggs, etc to just be that extra few percent to get the goal and we don't have that now. I was fairly happy with the performance, it's just a shame we didn't play like we have in these two last games against Armenia - then we wouldn't have needed to be here. But oh well.

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Faes was at no fault for the goal and made a decent block just before. If i recall, Castagne was pretty lame for the equaliser.

What i did like though was Faes doing his 'flappy arms' thing when the equaliser went in. He's worked hard at that and nails it every time.

Hated watching the game yesterday. 2 goals from Youri and a game that contained Castagne, Madders and Faes really set off my 'how the fek did we get relegated' OCD.

• Like 3

Just now, Chelmofox said:

Faes was at no fault for the goal and made a decent block just before.

I didn't even watch it (obviously) I'm just messing to be fair, it did make me chuckle. I like Faes, I'm not having a go particularly.

Just now, Finnegan said:

Narh in all fairness we really went for it. Had a goal disallowed for offside, forced a couple of decent saves, had a fair few "nearly" moments.

Poland were very negative but then Poland always are, every major tournament they tend to stink the place out which is a shame because they've got some good players but they just never use them.

We just looked like what we are, really, a Championship level team working hard but just not really quite having the quality in the final third to break down a side parking the bus. I was fairly happy with the performance, it's just a shame we didn't play like we have in these two last games against Armenia - then we wouldn't have needed to be here. But oh well.

Ahh that's a shame - I much prefer having the home nations at the tournament - it just adds that little extra bit of edge. At least you can go out with their heads held high, although like you say...frustration that they didn't do the job when they had the chance.

Just seen Georgia's win and celebrations, huge for them. Moments like that are what still make the game great

Just now, Finnegan said:

I didn't even watch it (obviously) I'm just messing to be fair, it did make me chuckle. I like Faes, I'm not having a go particularly.

I like him, but his head has been all over the place lately.  I do feel like i need to put a 'flappy arms' montage together for him at the end of the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

What's your thoughts on the goalkeeper situation in general though?

4 goalkeepers in that squad, all 4 are 3rd (third!!) choice for their clubs, Davies and King probably don't even remember the last time they were in goal lol 

Surely there's someone in the Championship/League 1 that they can convince? (with a Welsh grannie of course...)

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AjcW said:

What's your thoughts on the goalkeeper situation in general though?

4 goalkeepers in that squad, all 4 are 3rd (third!!) choice for their clubs, Davies and King probably don't even remember the last time they were in goal lol 

Surely there's someone in the Championship/League 1 that they can convince? (with a Welsh grannie of course...)

Or in the Under 21s.

Davies was at Barnsley I remember but moved on and not played much since .

19 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Or in the Under 21s.

Davies was at Barnsley I remember but moved on and not played much since .

Yeah he's just become one of those random premier league 3rd choice signings, as has King.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

I like him, but his head has been all over the place lately.  I do feel like i need to put a 'flappy arms' montage together for him at the end of the season.

Faes is absolutely quality… until his head goes, which is the exact reason he’ll never be a top defender.

I know it seems like a lazy comparison but even if he had no hair, he’d still remind me of David Luiz in that regard.

I posted a comparison chart on top level defenders earlier in the season, his stats put him alongside the best (from last year) … but it doesn’t tell the full story because with faes it’s the basics that go wrong, which at the end of the day undoes any of the good from all the individual battles he’s won all game. For me, the vivid moment that I learnt this was in our collapse to bournemouth. There were air kicks and he really went from Maldini to ryan mcgivern in minutes. I just remember a moment when ward ghosted the ball and for whatever reason he just didn’t try to clear it on the line. I remember watching and people not really commenting on it, but as a defender i find it hard to watch that one as he was just as bad at stopping it as ward. 

Not one that inspires confidence in season defining moments but hopefully he can have a strong end to the season

Edited by Lambert09

6 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Faes is absolutely quality… until his head goes, which is the exact reason he’ll never be a top defender.

I know it seems like a lazy comparison but even if he had no hair, he’d still remind me of David Luiz in that regard.

I posted a comparison chart on top level defenders earlier in the season, his stats put him alongside the best (from last year) … but it doesn’t tell the full story because with faes it’s the basics that go wrong, which at the end of the day undoes any of the good from all the individual battles he’s won all game. For me, the vivid moment that I learnt this was in our collapse to bournemouth. There were air kicks and he really went from Maldini to ryan mcgivern in minutes. I just remember a moment when ward ghosted the ball and for whatever reason he just didn’t try to clear it on the line. I remember watching and people not really commenting on it, but as a defender i find it hard to watch that one as he was just as bad at stopping it as ward. 

Not one that inspires confidence in season defining moments but hopefully he can have a strong end to the season

I don't think he's even amazing at his best. Can be great yes but whilst your comparison to David Luiz is fair, Luiz was a Rolls Royce of a defender when he was on it and I wouldn't say that of Faes. He's basically a worse version of Soyuncu in that he's an aggressive, front foot defender but there's a mistake in him. I know Soyuncu went off a cliff in terms of his last couple of years but Faes has never come close to the level Soyuncu showed before that.

If these financial breaches are by a few million then the signing of Faes is going to be right up there for the worst in the history of the club. Of course we desperately needed a centre back, but it meant him playing at the expense of a better player in Soyuncu and then he's the player (one of) that tipped us over the edge. Not saying he's poor but it's just pretty grim when you look at in context.

Wish this club had the backbone needed to protect our players.

Ndidi is coming back off a lengthy injury and is needed for a genuinely massive game on Friday.

It's outrageous that we've let him play 90 minutes in a friendly on a different continent less than 60 hours before that game. What the **** is going on? Why has that been allowed to happen?

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Ndidi is coming back off a lengthy injury and is needed for a genuinely massive game on Friday.

It's outrageous that we've let him play 90 minutes in a friendly on a different continent less than 60 hours before that game. What the **** is going on? Why has that been allowed to happen?

They probably did tell the Nigerian FA this but they ignored us. Balague said we'd made requests to international teams to manage our players given the intense period ahead.

Ultimately, comes down to the player. 

22 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

The player is out of contract in 9 games. Its up to him if he plays or not.

• Like 1