Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Temu

So been hearing a lot about this app and their ‘hard to believe’ prices. Has anyone gotten some real bargains from there? I’d love to hear about them?

I have also heard people share concerns about their Data collection methods . And even  alleged American government concerns about their parent company’s ties with the Chinese government.

is it scaremongering or does anyone have a decent source that states the security concerns about the app?

there seems to be quite a few people talking about it so why not us!

Edited by MPH

People I know love it and say there are a lot of bargains to be had with randomisers giving you a random percentage off.

I have the same concerns as you've mentioned in terms of data stripping, I personally wouldnt risk it if anything just through a 'sniff test'. A small part of my job has exposure to data protection related issues which fuels my paranoia so maybe its just me.

There are some articles online but nothing thats extreme or any worse than TikTok it seems. The sister app for Temu was banned. Flipside is, is it any worse than the information Google / Meta etc are harvesting?

My overall thoughts are that I wouldnt use it but I wouldnt actively stop mates that do.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/17/temu-accused-of-data-risks-amid-tiktok-pinduoduo-fears.html

https://www.politico.eu/article/booming-chinese-shopping-app-temu-faces-western-scrutiny-over-data-security-2/

Edited by Nalis

I think it's one of those situations where of something looks too good to be true, it most often is.

If Temu isn't making bank from direct sales of products, then they're likely selling something else. Data might be one of those things.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 4

I dipped my toe in the water with this.  Bought about £70-80 worth of stuff (apparently) for about £9.  4 or 5 items.  One of the items fell apart on taking it out of the box!  Generally the quality was pretty poor,  I did get a USB rechargeable torch which works well, although it's very light weight and very plastic.  I can't see me using Temu again.

My lad has also ordered some bits and pieces but won't be getting anything else.

I think there are some bargains out there, but it's very hit and miss, and from our family's experience, more miss than hit.  Pay your money, take your chances!

• Like 1

I've had a few things from them and I was very happy with the price and quality. 

I returned one item as it wasn't what I thought it was and they payed up without and quibble. Obviously delivery and returns take a lot longer but then I've had plenty of run ins with Amazon.

For health and logistical reasons I buy quite a lot of stuff on line so I'm pretty sure any data about me is already spread far and wide. I'd imagine the like of Amazon, eBay and other  western businesses can make more use of my data than the Chinese. Or am I being naïve?  

We had an unofficial charging cable bought from Amazon go up in smoke last week while charging a phone. Luckily we saw it really quickly and the phone wasn't damaged and the cable didn't set fire to anything else.

We'd had the cable for years but really wouldn't trust incredibly cheap electronics from a place where basic stuff just falls apart. I can see the appeal but wouldn't use the app myself.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where you all buy your goods but I find practically everything manufactured item I buy no matter who from is made in China and labelled with a western companies name. The keyboard and mouse i'm using to writing this  both made in China

Businesses in this country have been falling over themselves in the rush to export the manufacture everything we used to make and export.

Used it a couple of times. Found if you leave stuff in the basket in the app you get loads of offers where they drop the price even more.

Guess the problem is if you get sucked in and keep buying shit you don't need cuz you think it's a bargain.

I'll let you know if any of it falls apart the 1st time you wash it 😆 but as others have pointed out most stuff nowdays is cheap shite imported from China anyway.

Had about 5 orders from there, They suck you in with the Promo codes and when you order they add another one to your account but I’ve ordered a lot of fitness equipment eg. Agility Ladders, Running kites, “GripSocks” spent about £300 in total and “if” you return one item that may not be to your approval they refund you straight away without the need of returning if you understand 😁…. Ordered a lot of accessories also eg Phone cases and mounts the price cannot be beaten and not had anything sub standard yet