Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Map Your Surname

My family name first came over with the Normans…So I suppose I belong to those new migrants,who nick all your jobs.

Though my mothers side has 2 roots..

1 baker conotations

2 Norman knights

Thaz how it come aboot My mothers-Family side invented the famous scene mock ups

for old ye Bun-fights,between Anglos/Saxons /and Normans.
Later betrayed in the various filming  of Robin Hood..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

The more westerly red map is spot on for where we come from. Guess the Vikings chased us away from the East Anglian branch.

Surname map.png

East Anglians and Midlanders are pretty close I think. In these genetic maps of the British population they usually end up being pretty identical. The most N. European of all Britons. 

• Like 2

Just now, Facecloth said:

Considering there's about 6 people in the country with my sisters surname I'm not sure how accurate the data is given it says there a large concentration of them near the Wash 

Judging by my result it's pretty accurate as genuinely I've never seen my surname outside of Middlesex and Essex. 

12 minutes ago, bovril said:

We have an early leader...

I have a very rare surname. Aside from family, I've never met anyone else who is unfortunate enough to have it.

The site seems accurate though, it is meant to be a name that pretty much only exists in the east Midlands, although it is supposedly a variant on an old Scottish name.

Edited by tom27111