Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes_rule1978

Chess

I play a bit on chess.com, think there was a topic for this in gen chat but it's not been touched in a while.

Like Zear0 I used to play a lot more seriously but now just online correspondence games. Also splurged on one of the Square Off boards where the pieces move by themselves. Gimmicky but cool.

• Like 1

I am addicted. Have played over a 1000 games on Chess.com since Dec 31st when I joined. There's a Leicester City group people can join to play against other teams (as individuals). I am ranked at about 850 now, which is still very much at beginner level. Beat someone ranked 1350 for a Leicester group match which was my greatest win so far!

Edited by An Away Move

The British Chess Championships were held at De Montfort University back in July.

https://www.britishchesschampionships.co.uk/

Personally, I prefer chess problem solving, and somehow manage to qualify for the final every year. Not only do you have to solve conventional mates in x moves and studies, but also be able to solve unorthodox problems such as helpmates in x moves and selfmates in x moves. The Problemist is a very good (but very geeky) publication for anyone interested.

https://www.theproblemist.org/wcbcsc/wcbcsc.pl?type=home

The ChessVibes YouTube channel presented by Nelson Lopez is also very good for seeing how to tackle conventional problems - studies mainly. Here's one typical video of his, explaining how to force mate with just a bishop and a knight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHnz4U7qjfk

Edited by String fellow
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

TL;DR - played an online game against an Icelandic International Master, played for a draw as Black and nearly got it until one fatal fvckup near the end which has rather ruined my day. Study endgame theory!

----------------------

Thought it might be a good idea to share a recent game I played here for anyone who might be interested. Icelandic IM David Kjartansson (TheChessKitchen on chess.com, Twitch and some other places) was offering challenges on chess.com and (not knowing anything other than the handle of the player) thought I would play against him. Correspondence format, where each side has up to a day per move. Needless to say when I saw the little "IM" tag next to his handle I rather shat a brick (especially as I was playing Black), but I decided to give it the best I could and look to play for a draw.

1.e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nf6??

(Closed Sicilian, but being blinded by the lights a bit I mess up some on just the second move).

3. f4? d5

(Thankfully he either takes mercy on me or makes a misstep himself and this is an OK opening now).

4. e5 d4 5. exf6 dxc3 6. fxg7 cxd2+ 7. Qxd2 Qxd2+

(Going for Scorched Earth approach, less pieces = less complex position = less chance of being outplayed in those positions by a superior player)

8.Bxd2 Bxg7 9. O-O-O Nc6 10. Nf3 Bg4 11. Bb5 Bxf3 12. gxf3 O-O-O 13. Bxc6 bxc6

chess1.jpg?ex=65919eaf&is=657f29af&hm=af

(And that's the Scorched Earth done, things roughly equal, now to try and keep it that way.)

14.Be3 Bd4 15. Rhe1 Bxe3+ 16. Rxe3 Rxd1+ 17. Kxd1 Kd7 18. Ra3 Ra8 19. Ra5 Kd6
20.Kd2 f5 21. Kc3 h5 22. Kc4 e6 23. Ra3 h4 24. Rd3+ Kc7 25. Kxc5 Rb8 26. b4 a5
27.c3 axb4 28. cxb4 Ra8 29. a3 h3 30. Kc4 Rg8 31. Rd2 Rg2 32. Kd3 Kb6 33. a4
Rg1 34. Re2 Ra1 35. a5+ Kb5 36. Rxe6 Kxb4 37. Rxc6 Rxa5

(Trading down pawns gradually, hoping to get to a drawn Rook and Pawn v Rook endgame.)

38. Rh6 Kc5 39. Rxh3 Ra3+ 40. Ke2 Ra2+ 41. Ke3 Kd6 42. Rh6+ Ke7 43. h4 Kf7 44. h5 Rh2 45. Kd4 Kg7 46.
Rg6+ Kf7 47. Ra6 Rxh5 48. Ke5 Rh3 49. Ra3 Kg6 50. Rb3 Rg3 51. Rb6+ Kf7 52. Kxf5
Rxf3 53. Rb7+ Kf8 54. Ke5 Re3+ 55. Kf6

chess3.jpg?ex=6591a14b&is=657f2c4b&hm=7b

(Now at the Rook and pawn v Rook endgame, this is theoretically drawn but I have to not put a foot wrong to draw it.)

55....Kg8 56. f5 Rg3 57. Rb8+ Kh7 58. Kf7 Rg7+
59. Ke6 Ra7 60. Re8 Ra6+ 61. Kf7 Ra7+ 62. Re7 Ra8 63. f6 Ra1 64. Kf8+ Kg6 65. f7
Ra8+???

Screenshot_20231217_170710_Chess.jpg?ex=

(What. The. Fvck. Were. You. Thinking. Mac. Actually, you weren't thinking. 65. Kf6 draws reasonably easily and the end of the drawing sequence is only a couple of moves away. As it is, he now has multiple ways to pick me off.)

66. Re8 Ra7 67. Re6+ Kf5 68. Rb6 Ra8+ 69. Kg7 Ra7 70. Kg8 1-0

chess2.jpg?ex=6591a07a&is=657f2b7a&hm=e2

(No way to stop the pawn from promoting, so I will have to give up my Rook and the game is hopeless from there.)

I suppose I should be happy that I lasted that long against someone that damn good, but it pains me to know that I pissed away a drawn position when it was nearly all over after doing a lot of the hard work. Learning experience too is to read some more theory: was relying a lot on instinctual moves when it got to the endgame whereas a truly good player would know exactly what position to aim for in such an endgame having read about it and so know what to do several moves in advance.

Ah well.

• Like 1

I played competitively a bit in the 90s - in the Leicestershire leagues. I started in Div 6, then went to the 1st team and played in Div 4, then 3, then 2 then captaining the team in Division 1 and holding my own - albeit on the lower boards, but it was quite a journey! Played a few times for Leicestershire at various levels. (also played at University - captaining the 2nd team to a promotion.) I was a good player, but being in clubs with where other players were on top boards in division 1 - I was always aware of being a step below them. 

But since starting work, that was it other than the odd game Like most things, its time and finding people to play against & have never found anyone in the workplace that will give me a decent game. Have never really got into playing computers or online - would prefer to play across the board from someone rather than looking at a screen, and that limits options.

Still - one evening this week, I'll have a run through your game @leicsmac - I usually play the Sicilian as black and IM is a very good standard to be competing against, so will enjoy that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

I played competitively a bit in the 90s - in the Leicestershire leagues. I started in Div 6, then went to the 1st team and played in Div 4, then 3, then 2 then captaining the team in Division 1 and holding my own - albeit on the lower boards, but it was quite a journey! Played a few times for Leicestershire at various levels. (also played at University - captaining the 2nd team to a promotion.) I was a good player, but being in clubs with where other players were on top boards in division 1 - I was always aware of being a step below them. 

But since starting work, that was it other than the odd game Like most things, its time and finding people to play against & have never found anyone in the workplace that will give me a decent game. Have never really got into playing computers or online - would prefer to play across the board from someone rather than looking at a screen, and that limits options.

Still - one evening this week, I'll have a run through your game @leicsmac - I usually play the Sicilian as black and IM is a very good standard to be competing against, so will enjoy that.

That's interesting to hear about - thank you. I also captained the University team in the Leicestershire league, though we were very much lower division.

I get you in that actually mulling over the pieces on a physical board is much better, but it does seem to be tricky these days so for me online with a board set up to "view" the position is the best I can do for myself.

I would appreciate any feedback on the game I've put up there by a fellow player - like you I tend to go for the Sicilian as Black (usually Najdorf so this guy playing the Closed kinda threw me).

Edited by leicsmac

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/12/2023 at 17:18, leicsmac said:

TL;DR - played an online game against an Icelandic International Master, played for a draw as Black and nearly got it until one fatal fvckup near the end which has rather ruined my day. Study endgame theory!

----------------------

Thought it might be a good idea to share a recent game I played here for anyone who might be interested. Icelandic IM David Kjartansson (TheChessKitchen on chess.com, Twitch and some other places) was offering challenges on chess.com and (not knowing anything other than the handle of the player) thought I would play against him. Correspondence format, where each side has up to a day per move. Needless to say when I saw the little "IM" tag next to his handle I rather shat a brick (especially as I was playing Black), but I decided to give it the best I could and look to play for a draw.

1.e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nf6??

(Closed Sicilian, but being blinded by the lights a bit I mess up some on just the second move).

3. f4? d5

(Thankfully he either takes mercy on me or makes a misstep himself and this is an OK opening now).

4. e5 d4 5. exf6 dxc3 6. fxg7 cxd2+ 7. Qxd2 Qxd2+

(Going for Scorched Earth approach, less pieces = less complex position = less chance of being outplayed in those positions by a superior player)

8.Bxd2 Bxg7 9. O-O-O Nc6 10. Nf3 Bg4 11. Bb5 Bxf3 12. gxf3 O-O-O 13. Bxc6 bxc6

chess1.jpg?ex=65919eaf&is=657f29af&hm=af

(And that's the Scorched Earth done, things roughly equal, now to try and keep it that way.)

14.Be3 Bd4 15. Rhe1 Bxe3+ 16. Rxe3 Rxd1+ 17. Kxd1 Kd7 18. Ra3 Ra8 19. Ra5 Kd6
20.Kd2 f5 21. Kc3 h5 22. Kc4 e6 23. Ra3 h4 24. Rd3+ Kc7 25. Kxc5 Rb8 26. b4 a5
27.c3 axb4 28. cxb4 Ra8 29. a3 h3 30. Kc4 Rg8 31. Rd2 Rg2 32. Kd3 Kb6 33. a4
Rg1 34. Re2 Ra1 35. a5+ Kb5 36. Rxe6 Kxb4 37. Rxc6 Rxa5

(Trading down pawns gradually, hoping to get to a drawn Rook and Pawn v Rook endgame.)

38. Rh6 Kc5 39. Rxh3 Ra3+ 40. Ke2 Ra2+ 41. Ke3 Kd6 42. Rh6+ Ke7 43. h4 Kf7 44. h5 Rh2 45. Kd4 Kg7 46.
Rg6+ Kf7 47. Ra6 Rxh5 48. Ke5 Rh3 49. Ra3 Kg6 50. Rb3 Rg3 51. Rb6+ Kf7 52. Kxf5
Rxf3 53. Rb7+ Kf8 54. Ke5 Re3+ 55. Kf6

chess3.jpg?ex=6591a14b&is=657f2c4b&hm=7b

(Now at the Rook and pawn v Rook endgame, this is theoretically drawn but I have to not put a foot wrong to draw it.)

55....Kg8 56. f5 Rg3 57. Rb8+ Kh7 58. Kf7 Rg7+
59. Ke6 Ra7 60. Re8 Ra6+ 61. Kf7 Ra7+ 62. Re7 Ra8 63. f6 Ra1 64. Kf8+ Kg6 65. f7
Ra8+???

Screenshot_20231217_170710_Chess.jpg?ex=

(What. The. Fvck. Were. You. Thinking. Mac. Actually, you weren't thinking. 65. Kf6 draws reasonably easily and the end of the drawing sequence is only a couple of moves away. As it is, he now has multiple ways to pick me off.)

66. Re8 Ra7 67. Re6+ Kf5 68. Rb6 Ra8+ 69. Kg7 Ra7 70. Kg8 1-0

chess2.jpg?ex=6591a07a&is=657f2b7a&hm=e2

(No way to stop the pawn from promoting, so I will have to give up my Rook and the game is hopeless from there.)

I suppose I should be happy that I lasted that long against someone that damn good, but it pains me to know that I pissed away a drawn position when it was nearly all over after doing a lot of the hard work. Learning experience too is to read some more theory: was relying a lot on instinctual moves when it got to the endgame whereas a truly good player would know exactly what position to aim for in such an endgame having read about it and so know what to do several moves in advance.

Ah well.

Had a rematch against this guy immediately after this game finished, this time playing White.

This time, I did draw!

If anyone wants me to put the game on here I will, but only on request because I don't want to clog the thread.

• 1 month later...