Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HybridFox

Doctor Who

Thought it should get its own thread given the full library (or Whoniverse) is now on BBC iPlayer.

David Tennant back as the Doctor (even for a bit) is just such a joy :D

Picked up the role again so effortlessly.

Strong return to writing from Russell T Davies yesterday I thought

Edited by HybridFox
  • Like 2

Great seeing David Tennant back, generally regarded as the greatest ever doctor. Obviously the show has got a bigger budget with being associated with Disney but also with that association is the fact that like Disney it is being called "woke". I don't mind what they do with the show or scripts as long as the story is great. If they want to be putting political messages in shows with regard to pronouns and other "woke" stuff that's fine as long as the story is great. 

2 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

Great seeing David Tennant back, generally regarded as the greatest ever doctor. Obviously the show has got a bigger budget with being associated with Disney but also with that association is the fact that like Disney it is being called "woke". I don't mind what they do with the show or scripts as long as the story is great. If they want to be putting political messages in shows with regard to pronouns and other "woke" stuff that's fine as long as the story is great. 

I’m not surprised with any of that now Russell T Davies is back at the helm, his latest statement is that Dr Who’s next 2 episodes are not child friendly but they are scheduled to air at 18:30 on a Saturday 

First episode of the three was extremely strong imo.  I liked it, the kids liked it, some of the references to past adventures were also done well.  The Tardis has had a Disney makeover and it's clear where the cgi budget has gone as well.  The show needed it tbh to keep up with the times and the likes of ST and SW.

Found RTDs comments following the Children in Need special a little jarring re: Davros and hope there's not a detrimental affect to the stories on the whole.  Interested to see where it goes, can't be any worse than Chibnall or Moffat.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

Great seeing David Tennant back, generally regarded as the greatest ever doctor. 

Of the modern re-vamp era, perhaps, but Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi (who was a Whovian through and through), were as good I'd contest. I do love the way that 'Ten' has instantly and seamlessly stepped back into the role and Catherine Tate is without doubt the best companion of the modern era, with Jenna Coleman a close second. 

I think you'll find that Tom Baker is generally regarded as the greatest and most definitive Doctor.

Two of my favourite scenes from 'new who'...

Would have loved to have seen Paul McGann get a decent shout on TV. Had the potential to be the best Doctor ever. 

2 hours ago, SpacedX said:

Would have loved to have seen Paul McGann get a decent shout on TV. Had the potential to be the best Doctor ever. 

There are some rumours floating about that he is going to get a spin-off series.

The new deal is going to give licence for additional stories around the Whoniverse. Think a UNIT standalone series is planned too, which could be akin to Torchwood I guess.

Edited by HybridFox
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, HybridFox said:

There are some rumours floating about that he is going to get a spin-off series.

The new deal is going to give licence for additional stories around the Whoniverse. Think a UNIT standalone series is planned too, which could be akin to Torchwood I guess.

Disney are giving them money, and Disney are good at wholly unnecessary spinoffs.

With Disney on board they will look to milk franchise further will more spin offs. Im pretty much certain we will see a series set during the time war. Perhaps with Paul McGann. 

Billie Piper dropped a huge hint shed be open to a return as Rose Tyler. So theyll try and milk that character. Maybe tie her in with another Doctor like McGann or give her own series similar to Sarah Jane Adventures.

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Metal Ed said:

Disney are giving them money, and Disney are good at wholly unnecessary spinoffs.

This is the only worry. It's a pretty unique deal to give creative autonomy in the way that they have done. But at what point do Disney decide they want a bigger bite of the apple

7 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

Enjoyed that episode. But hasn't the series overdone the "attack on London" scenario a few too many times now? I realise doing stuff in Rio or Bejing may be a shade too expensive, but plenty of other towns/cities that could be used, in Britain or Europe.

It was probably much to do with reuniting the Doctor with Donna Noble. 

• Like 1

On 26/11/2023 at 20:25, foxy boxing said:

I mean pronouns aren't a political message, they're a basic part of pretty much every language but also if you're wanting something that isn't "woke" then the show about a shape-shifting alien who's most recognisable enemies are fascist wheelie bins probably isn't for you, nor tbh is the genre of sci-fi.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I mean pronouns aren't a political message, they're a basic part of pretty much every language but also if you're wanting something that isn't "woke" then the show about a shape-shifting alien who's most recognisable enemies are fascist wheelie bins probably isn't for you, nor tbh is the genre of sci-fi.

Actually love Doctor who and Sci - fi am just making the point that Doctor Who as with Disney/ Marvel is going down the same path it would seem making the same mistakes. You only have to look at how disney/marvel is doing with the fan backlash against the current content put out ie the Marvels etc. It should only be about great story telling and special effects and not preach any kind of message sermon to fans!.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

Id love to disney use their technology and deage Paul McGanns doctor if they did do a spin off series, in order to create the way he looked in 1996. Same with the other doctors. 

To be fair he doesn't look that old anyway. Would still pass as a younger doctor than Capaldi 

Edited by HybridFox

5 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

Actually love Doctor who and Sci - fi am just making the point that Doctor Who as with Disney/ Marvel is going down the same path it would seem making the same mistakes. You only have to look at how disney/marvel is doing with the fan backlash against the current content put out ie the Marvels etc. It should only be about great story telling and special effects and not preach any kind of message sermon to fans!.

I mean I don't put any stock in the backlash against the marvels, loki season 1 etc, because the MCU has been political since it's inception (Iron Man 1, the first MCU film, is literally about the evils of PMCs) and is as heavy-handed about politics as comics in general are (captain Americas origin story is literally "really good at punching Nazis) and it's mostly just whiny incels outraged that women are present. Like there is valid criticism about the oversaturation of superhero movies and really the MCU should have wrapped up with endgame but that applies to all new films, not just the marvels 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HybridFox said:

To be fair he doesn't look that old anyway. Would still pass as a younger doctor than Capaldi 

Depends on continuity if its set straight after the doctor who movie it he would need to look similar to 1996. 

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Depends on continuity if its set straight after the doctor who movie it he would need to look similar to 1996. 

The entire idea is that each incarnation can live of hundreds of years and doesn't visibly age like a human. Perhaps the first Doctor did, but he lived for 450 years. The fourth Doctor once claimed that he was 748 years old, whilst by his fifth incarnation he was 813 who then lived for 87 years and was 900 when he regenerated.