Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Big Blue Maff

WE NEED TO SIGN FATAWU PERMANENTLY

6 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

I seem to remember someone once had an obligation to buy Toby Alderweirald. For one reason or another, it didn't happen!

Atletico had to pay Southampton to cancel the clause

1 hour ago, CheeseHead said:

I seem to remember someone once had an obligation to buy Toby Alderweirald. For one reason or another, it didn't happen!

Who knows what can happen with contracts etc but it's a non subject anyway as we ain't signing him in January. We won't have the finances to get the deal done this window. 

• 3 months later...

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-transfer-chief-praised-9244832

Leicester City transfer chief praised for uncovering gem, but future deal 'complicated'
Martyn Glover brought Abdul Fatawu to Enzo Maresca's attention despite the Ghanaian winger having only started 10 senior matches in Europe before the current season

ByJordan Blackwell
07:00, 25 APR 2024

Enzo Maresca has thanked Leicester City recruitment chief Martyn Glover for uncovering a gem in Abdul Fatawu.

The Ghanaian winger has been one of the stars of City’s season, and put in his most thrilling display yet on Tuesday night, scoring a hat-trick in a 5-0 rout of Southampton, as well as setting up Jamie Vardy. He’s now up to 18 Championship goals and assists, level with Vardy and Stephy Mavididi.

Fatawu arrived on loan from Sporting Lisbon last summer as something of an unknown. Before this campaign, he had only started 10 matches in Europe, and nine of those came for Sporting’s B team in the third tier of Portuguese football.

But spotted by City’s head of recruitment Glover and his scouting team, Maresca was shown Fatawu’s talents and the manager agreed he suited the gameplan. It’s a deal that has worked out well, and Maresca does not want the scouting team’s contribution to go unnoticed.

“We are very happy with Abdul,” Maresca said. “He’s a player that is thanks to Martyn Glover. He’s a player he showed me this summer. When I saw him I said this is the right profile we need. It was Martyn Glover’s idea.”

But amid City’s transfer embargo, Fatawu’s future remains uncertain, even for Maresca. Asked if he knew the situation over a potential permanent move for the 20-year-old, the manager said: “I have no idea. I don’t know what’s going on. It’s complicated.”

Reports in Portugal say there is an obligatory purchase clause in Fatawu’s loan contract priced at €17m (£14.5m) and dependent on promotion. But right now, City are unable to sign any new players after the EFL placed them under a transfer embargo in anticipation that the club would breach Profit and Sustainability rules for the three-year cycle ending this summer. It is expected that the club will try to sell players in June to balance their books and stay within the limits.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-transfer-chief-praised-9244832

Leicester City transfer chief praised for uncovering gem, but future deal 'complicated'
Martyn Glover brought Abdul Fatawu to Enzo Maresca's attention despite the Ghanaian winger having only started 10 senior matches in Europe before the current season

ByJordan Blackwell
07:00, 25 APR 2024

Enzo Maresca has thanked Leicester City recruitment chief Martyn Glover for uncovering a gem in Abdul Fatawu.

The Ghanaian winger has been one of the stars of City’s season, and put in his most thrilling display yet on Tuesday night, scoring a hat-trick in a 5-0 rout of Southampton, as well as setting up Jamie Vardy. He’s now up to 18 Championship goals and assists, level with Vardy and Stephy Mavididi.

Fatawu arrived on loan from Sporting Lisbon last summer as something of an unknown. Before this campaign, he had only started 10 matches in Europe, and nine of those came for Sporting’s B team in the third tier of Portuguese football.

But spotted by City’s head of recruitment Glover and his scouting team, Maresca was shown Fatawu’s talents and the manager agreed he suited the gameplan. It’s a deal that has worked out well, and Maresca does not want the scouting team’s contribution to go unnoticed.

“We are very happy with Abdul,” Maresca said. “He’s a player that is thanks to Martyn Glover. He’s a player he showed me this summer. When I saw him I said this is the right profile we need. It was Martyn Glover’s idea.”

But amid City’s transfer embargo, Fatawu’s future remains uncertain, even for Maresca. Asked if he knew the situation over a potential permanent move for the 20-year-old, the manager said: “I have no idea. I don’t know what’s going on. It’s complicated.”

Reports in Portugal say there is an obligatory purchase clause in Fatawu’s loan contract priced at €17m (£14.5m) and dependent on promotion. But right now, City are unable to sign any new players after the EFL placed them under a transfer embargo in anticipation that the club would breach Profit and Sustainability rules for the three-year cycle ending this summer. It is expected that the club will try to sell players in June to balance their books and stay within the limits.

It's the transfer embargo that makes it 'complicated'. And given that will not apply if we go up, I'll be very surprised if Fatawu isn't with us next season.

15 minutes ago, mod hero said:

Slightly off topic, we need to sell before June 1st maybe KDH and another possibly to be in line. IF we don’t do we get another points deduction season after next? Presuming we’ll stay up 

It's before July 1st, not June. It's not entirely clear, but my understanding is that we can't get a points deduction in the PL for a breach that occurred in the Championship. So assuming we go up, if we do end up breaching for the 2021-24 period, we'll likely just receive a financial penalty for that. This seems to be what most journalists who have covered the issue believe, but I don't think anybody knows for certain.

IF the club believes that we're only likely to get a financial penalty for a 2021-24 breach, it does raise the question of whether it will be worth flogging KDH and weakening the team, or better just to take the financial hit of the PSR fine.

12 minutes ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

Surely this is not legal either. Have we actually done anything wrong in this league.

They've imposed it because they think we're heading for a breach this season and we refused to submit a business plan that would effectively give them control of our finances. As it happens, we were completely vindicated in our refusal to submit the business plan, and we were also vindicated in our objection to the EFL trying to impose a points deduction on us this season for the alleged 2020-23 breach in the PL. They've slapped the transfer embargo on us because they want to get at us and have no other means of doing so. We've challenged the legality of the embargo, but it hasn't been resolved yet - hence the transfer ban remains in place.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Thanks 1

We need him and A.N. Other. Whether that's Akgun or not I don't know. I was hoping he'd take his chance as one of the #8s when we needed bodies in that area but he hasn't really excelled in either position.

If promoted, we'll need a similar profile winger as backup/competition with Fatawu and another one on the left to push Mavididi.

McAteer and Wanya probably won't be seen as those players, and could help bring in a little bit of cash to help get towards that FFP/PRS line.

Obviously, we need to keep hold of fatawu... but, depending on how bad our finances are, i wouldn't even rule out a quick sale if it makes us enough money... we could sign him for 14.5m and sell him for double that to help balance the books, as crazy as it sounds, i wouldn't rule it out. I say that because im sure there will be teams enquiring as to what the situation is with him  and signing for us and if we are desperate, we might dangle a carrot  in front of them..

Edited by MPH

27 minutes ago, MPH said:

Obviously, we need to keep hold of fatawu... but, depending on how bad our finances are, i wouldn't even rule out a quick sale if it makes us enough money... we could sign him for 14.5m and sell him for double that to help balance the books, as crazy as it sounds, i wouldn't rule it out. I say that because im sure there will be teams enquiring as to what the situation is with him  and signing for us and if we are desperate, we might dangle a carrot  in front of them..

I doubt it very much. The best thing we can do for our finances is to stay in the Premier League (assuming we get there, of course). This will only be achieved if we establish a squad with enough quality to do that. If Fatawu stays - and I think he will - he will be a major part of our plans next season. 

29 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I doubt it very much. The best thing we can do for our finances is to stay in the Premier League (assuming we get there, of course). This will only be achieved if we establish a squad with enough quality to do that. If Fatawu stays - and I think he will - he will be a major part of our plans next season. 

Oh I agree with you about his importance… but to be honest, no one knows just how all the different regulations could effect us next seen- if we just get fined, even that could eat into our budget for next season.

But it all depends on how desperate we are.. it would  be a last option, I’m sure 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

They've imposed it because they think we're heading for a breach this season and we refused to submit a business plan that would effectively give them control of our finances. As it happens, we were completely vindicated in our refusal to submit the business plan, and we were also vindicated in our objection to the EFL trying to impose a points deduction on us this season for the alleged 2020-23 breach in the PL. They've slapped the transfer embargo on us because they want to get at us and have no other means of doing so. We've challenged the legality of the embargo, but it hasn't been resolved yet - hence the transfer ban remains in place.

is that why Rudkin wasn't looking pleased when Fatawu banged in the hatrick 

7 hours ago, FosseSpark said:

Fatawu is the sort of deal we haven't done for a long time. £14.5m will be trebled if he plays 1 season in the prem and  if we chose to sell him.

That's my thoughts too. We are very likely to gain money in the long run and get an entertaining winger for a season or so. Win win during our dire transfer tactics in the past.

• Like 1