Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
z-layrex

Vet prices

Our dog is on lungworm/flea tablets as we used to get a lot of slugs in the house before we landscaped the garden. The vet advised we remain on it, I usually get a 6 month prescription from them for £18(!!!) and buy it online so it's cheaper, just had this email from the vet:

From 12 January 2024 the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons have introduced new regulations. Prescription Only Medicines including flea and worm treatment and written prescriptions can only be dispensed at a physical examination of your pet. We have to comply with this new regulation. A standard consultation charge will apply. Please refer to our website for more details.

I think this industry is absolutely out of control and needs some kind of government regulation. Any trip to the vet is now extortionate and I think it's putting pets at risk by putting their owners under huge amounts of financial strain. Me and my wife both have decent jobs, no kids or anything and having a dog and a cat costs us a huge amount every year just in routine vet fees. How do people with families etc do it?

If I get a call in the morning to say they have diagnosed my little girl and can make her well again they can carry on reaming me for cash for the next 12 months.

But yes, something needs to be done about the price gouging. 

Poorly girl is poorly ☹️

IMG_4522.jpeg

Add to this, that in Australia there is now a shortage of animal vaccines so that is pushing prices even higher!

Also, since Covid thousands of animals that were adopted during shutdown, are now being left at pounds, destroyed, or just left to wander. This means that animal resuce groups are facing the worst time many can remember.... it is unquestionably the worst in the 15 years we have been involved.

We have taken over 700 animals in 2023 and have vet bills alone of over $100,000 (we wont even discuss the time and food costs) ...with not one cent of government or external support. Every animal we take in and rehome is vet checked for health, desexed and vaccinated before being sent to their new home. The value to society that volunteer animal rescue groups provide is almost incaluable.

• Like 2

A lot of what were private vets practices have been bought up by private equity interests and are now run in conglomerates on a significantly more for profit basis than the partner based practices that they have replaced.

Also, whilst there is insurance, there is no pet NHS so things need to be paid for on a cost plus profit basis. Vet practice overheads are pretty steep - building acquisition and running costs, business rates, nursing staff, admin staff, equipment overheads including expensive medical equipment, medicine and drug costs and vet salaries.

And it is a popular misconception that vets themselves are the ones coining it. A newly qualified vet earns about £30,000 pa. I’m not sure how representative it is but I know a vet who earns around £50,000 pa after more than 20 years in practice. Good money yes but not compared to a gp or hospital doctor who will be earning more than double that at a similar stage of their career.

To round up, the system is being milked by for profit big business but it’s not the person who spent 5/6 years of intense study, accruing significant personal debt (as University fee exemptions available to medical trainees do not apply) and who has typically gone into the profession because of their love of animals and interest in animal welfare who is to blame. Nor are they the ones benefitting from the profiteering.  

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Like 4

My vets saved my bunny's life FOUR times.   Should have cost £200; All I paid was £200 total- insurance is a MUST.

I pay £50 a month for insurances and a preventative health plan- well worth it

Edited by filthyfox

12 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Our dog is on lungworm/flea tablets as we used to get a lot of slugs in the house before we landscaped the garden. The vet advised we remain on it, I usually get a 6 month prescription from them for £18(!!!) and buy it online so it's cheaper, just had this email from the vet:

I think this industry is absolutely out of control and needs some kind of government regulation. Any trip to the vet is now extortionate and I think it's putting pets at risk by putting their owners under huge amounts of financial strain. Me and my wife both have decent jobs, no kids or anything and having a dog and a cat costs us a huge amount every year just in routine vet fees. How do people with families etc do it?

I think your vets are having you on here. I just rang my vet and ordered flea and worm treatment for my 5 cats over the phone and they said it will be ready tomorrow. No examination or anything. 

Vets4Pets in Coalville if you wanted to know. 

2 hours ago, ramboacdc said:

I think your vets are having you on here. I just rang my vet and ordered flea and worm treatment for my 5 cats over the phone and they said it will be ready tomorrow. No examination or anything. 

Vets4Pets in Coalville if you wanted to know. 

The deadline is 12th Jan. Your vet will have to comply. The thing is the RCVS is just doing this to support the price gouging of the public whilst hiding behind antimicrobial scholarship.

https://www.rcvs.org.uk/setting-standards/advice-and-guidance/under-care-new-guidance/

19 hours ago, z-layrex said:

The deadline is 12th Jan. Your vet will have to comply. The thing is the RCVS is just doing this to support the price gouging of the public whilst hiding behind antimicrobial scholarship.

https://www.rcvs.org.uk/setting-standards/advice-and-guidance/under-care-new-guidance/

I got in just before then. Nice one!

On 10/01/2024 at 08:10, ramboacdc said:

I have 5 cats. If I have to go in and have a physical appointment everytime now to get the monthly flea treatment I best invest in a set of chainmail. It's hard enough to get in their crates at the best of times!

Why are you cramming yourself into a pet crate to go to an appointment with the vet?

And why have you got fleas?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

I don't get our dog's flea/worm treatment on prescription, just order it from Amazon. So, definitely not paying the vet £50 to see him and order it from them for twice the price.

You can easily buy standard flea and worm treatment in any supermarket/online without prescription but I guess some specific treatments require one. 

46 minutes ago, Parafox said:

You can easily buy standard flea and worm treatment in any supermarket/online without prescription but I guess some specific treatments require one. 

It's shit and doesn't work anywhere near as well unfortunately. 

Active ingredient is different and fleas have evolved to the point it doesn't kill them. 

Not straight forward on worming either 

Wait, so I have a cat with epilepsy and he has a monthly prescription for epiphen. So I now have to take him in every month for a consultation to get his tablets? Best get on darkweb then.

25 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

In what way? Amongst other brands, we've definitely had this at some point.

Active ingredient is totally ineffective. People don't realise that the stuff you get over the counter at the vets is totally different to the snake oil stuff in supermarkets. 

I'm not saying it to be argumentative, it's very different stuff.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Parafox said:

Why are you cramming yourself into a pet crate to go to an appointment with the vet?

And why have you got fleas?

1. I tried taking the cat to the vets without the crate, but he had issues getting the seatbelt on.

2. I live in Coalville....

• Haha 2

On 10/01/2024 at 16:10, ramboacdc said:

I have 5 cats. If I have to go in and have a physical appointment everytime now to get the monthly flea treatment I best invest in a set of chainmail. It's hard enough to get in their crates at the best of times!

I imagine your are aware of this, but in case anyone is trying to get cats into carriers.

Scruffing 
image.png.d178c75cb1011f86d5d0a07c94447830.png 

is usually the best way to start, many cats are more relaxed being managed with scruffing than holding. 
Putting a towel or blanket over the cat can also relax them.
When putting into a carrier (front opening) it often works better to reverse the cat in.

• Like 1