Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
still tynie

Why couldnt Levein get more time ?

The old saying Rome wasnt built in a day springs to mind , cant help thinking Craig Levein should have been give more time to see through what he had started at Leicester City .

He took over an old aged team that were finished and has since reduced the average age to a younger and hungry team that can rise to the bigger matches , however maybe inconsistent in the league but what do you expect with so many new signings still getting to know each other.

I cant help thinking the sacking of Levein is a huge mistake and a rash decision by the board in what is a tricky time for the Foxes , who are now back to square one to start afresh and no doubt the new manager will change the team and make tactical and formation alterations that may not suit the current personel which turns out to be a huge gamble for the new man . If he dosent hit the ground running relegation is obvious where if he kept Craig Levein who already has an understanding with his players safety would be a strong possibility .

Best of luck , but cant help thinking you have shot yourselves in the foot

It had to be done.

Confidence had disappeared both on and off the pitch.

The manager had run out of ideas.

The players had run out of spirit.

And the fans had run out of hope.

Survival is far from guaranteed, but it's far more likely now than it would have been if he'd stayed.

But the board had better get is next choice for the hot seat spot on.

If it doesn't, the consequences could be terminal for our club!

Hmmm . Around 4.50 every Saturday I was saying " we've got to get rid of this bloke" but at the same time thinking that I can see what he was trying to achieve and knowing that successful clubs are those that stick with the manager and don't change them every 1 1/2 seasons.

This is a sad day not one for general rejoicing- it demonstrates a failure to make any real progress since the high water mark in summer 2000 and with the generally poor standard of candidate I wouldn't be surprised if we're having this upheaval all over again next year in Div 1

Hmmm . Around 4.50 every Saturday I was saying " we've got to get rid of this bloke" but at the same time thinking that I can see what he was trying to achieve and knowing that successful clubs are those that stick with the manager and don't change them every 1 1/2 seasons.

This is a sad day not one for general rejoicing- it demonstrates a failure to make any real progress since the high water mark in summer 2000 and with the generally poor standard of candidate I wouldn't be surprised if we're having this upheaval all over again next year in Div 1

Ok give him time to build a team and lets all get on the bus to Torquay

The old saying Rome wasnt built in a day springs to mind , cant help thinking Craig Levein should have been give more time to see through what he had started at Leicester City .

He took over an old aged team that were finished and has since reduced the average age to a younger and hungry team that can rise to the bigger matches , however maybe inconsistent in the league but what do you expect with so many new signings still getting to know each other.

I cant help thinking the sacking of Levein is a huge mistake and a rash decision by the board in what is a tricky time for the Foxes , who are now back to square one to start afresh and no doubt the new manager will change the team and make tactical and formation alterations that may not suit the current personel which turns out to be a huge gamble for the new man . If he dosent hit the ground running relegation is obvious where if he kept Craig Levein who already has an understanding with his players safety would be a strong possibility .

I don't think anyone can question what Levein was trying to do. Sadly, he was unable to match his aims with results. Everyone has their cut-off point when they say enough is enough, we need a change. I consider myself one of the last to finish backing him, having backed Levein until the Plymouth result. This was was plenty of time to try and drum up some much needed points. Unfortunately, it didn't happen and a change was needed.

I think Levein's reaction speaks volumes. He may not have resigned, but he expected the chop and I think knew that he may not have been able to turn it around this season. Hopefully he will come back a wiser and better manager but that is not our concern any longer.

I hate to say this but while playing footy last night I was thinking maybe we should have given CL more time .... I am a little worried we are going to get some rubbish in and this will mean relegation ?

I hate to say this but while playing footy last night I was thinking maybe we should have given CL more time .... I am a little worried we are going to get some rubbish in and this will mean relegation ?

yep those were my thoughts all a long which is why on the levein out polls i always said no

i still think he would of saved us from relegation, who the hell is going to attempt it now??

i had high hopes for him but craig was not good enough when it came right down to brass tacks.

he is gone and we are ammong the dead men of this division.

facts are he had a huge chunk of last season and two thirds of this season , including preseason training and he still did not know his best team. he won just five league games this season and he was , repeat was , getting us relegated.

he is now gone.

i will not mention his name again after this post. forget him.

an appropriate saying would be ," the king is dead , long live the king." :scarf:

CL would have been given as much time as he needed if he'd got the results the club needed. I'm sure the long term plan that CL discussed with the board did not include relegation to Div 1. At the end of the day we had little choice in the matter. When things don't look like improving then something's got to change.

I agree he built some great foundations for a team that will reap the rewards however his man management skills have proved his undoing. The lack of consistency in team selection and hence performances were of his making.Mistake...I think not 2 points out of 30 (10 games) is more than nearly any other club board would have tolerated.Those 2 points were home games vs the bottom 2 teams in the league. Rash....how long do you give a failing team/manager? We need a manager who can let the 11 on the pitch gel as a team.We have a load of quality here at Leicester and the fans have become very frustrated Levein seems unable to get the best out of them. We have seen players out of position,formations that are plain ridiculous and players dropped for isoltaed mistakes which must do nothing for confidence. The decision to sack him was not taken hastily,many fans were wanting him sacked prior to the game with Spurs.

I recently read this about his management at Hearts (which underlines how he treats players like children not grown ups):

His reputation as one of the more cerebral managers in the game was enhanced by his imaginative punishment of two Hearts players who were caught playing golf on the eve of a game. Rather than the customary fine, Levein made them run up and down the stand with their bags of golf clubs. One can but wonder what punishment he would have meted out had he been in charge at the time of the incident in La Manga back in March.

Bring on the new management team

CL would have been given as much time as he needed if he'd got the results the club needed. I'm sure the long term plan that CL discussed with the board did not include relegation to Div 1. At the end of the day we had little choice in the matter. When things don't look like improving then something's got to change.

I agree, we can all see what Craig was trying to achieve, let's hope the next man in can use craig's imagination and turn it in to a reality. :thumbup:

I'n still disappointed things didn't work out as his vision for the club was the right one.

Sadly performances had reached a point where something had to be done.

It's funny to think that it CL had won maybe two more games in the season so far, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Simon

A decision had to be made and it was. I felt that Levein had made the first steps towards a more solid and successful future but he ran out of ideas. We didnt have the luxury of being able to wait until the end of the season because we were/are sinking fast.

What would have happened to Leveins long term plan if we had been relegated? I cant think of a single first team player who would stay if that happened.

What a load of rubbish. Look at the league table it does'nt lie. Great foundations? what a load of rubbish. Lets hope Neil Lennon gets the job and can sort out the mess Levein has put us in.

Well said trueblue. Since when has the brief of a football manager been other than winning football matches? When I hear the words "foundations" and "sorted the finances out" I feel like reaching for the sick bag. Ever since Bosman came in the front door, the concept of building a team of the future went out through the back door. Football management is about NOW. Always has been and always will be.

Anyway, we never asked Levein to build Rome, or even a city of similar stature and we certainly wouldn't have asked for it in a day.

What we wanted was not to be shit after over a year with him in charge, he couldn't deliver. We're well shot of him. Good riddance to bad rubbish.. please don't darken our doorstep again.

yep those were my thoughts all a long which is why on the levein out polls i always said no

i still think he would of saved us from relegation, who the hell is going to attempt it now??

The thing is, we shouldn't have been fighting against relegation anyway.

Because, when the team don't believe, and the fans don't believe it doesn't matter how much the manager believes he can do it.

Archived