Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Books

I'm reading a book at the moment but it's a right pile of dog shi te. I wish I hadn't bought the other two in the series as well.

I think it's called Dissolution.

Don't buy it.

Edit: Yes. Dissolution by C J Sansom.

Dull as ditchwater and fu cking rubbish.

I'll master this reading thing before long. :whistle::D

birdsong by sebastian faulks was not as good as i expected , it seemed a bit repetitious to me

I love that novel. I'm reading his latest, Engleby, at the minute. Very good indeed. I've got Brazzaville Beach by William Boyd waiting when I've finished this. I loved a lot of his previous work. Any Human Heart, The New Confessions and A Good Man in Africa are all books I would recommend reading.

if anyone wants a basic good thriller of a read then try Robert Goddard .

I've read most of his and have not been disappointed with any .

Many of his novels are set in the past and have skillfully woven pieces of history to make them come alive.

ok its not highbrow but good for hols etc

I can't put this down at the moment, it is pure genius. It reads so well you feel you are Brian Clough...so I'm going to pour me a brandy and have a fag.

C7B8F8CD-B285-DC68-B4A5F493F83E34F6.jpg

Thats a book I've been meaning to buy, but was a little dubious about it, with it being a fictional history. I already have 3 clough releated books, his two autobiographies, and Provided You Don't Kiss Me, a biography by a journalist whose name escapes me for now. All pretty entertaining, particularly as just as I was getting into football Clough was leaving the game. We need more like him. He could be a horrible, arrogant sod, but was often right with it!

Thats a book I've been meaning to buy, but was a little dubious about it, with it being a fictional history. I already have 3 clough releated books, his two autobiographies, and Provided You Don't Kiss Me, a biography by a journalist whose name escapes me for now. All pretty entertaining, particularly as just as I was getting into football Clough was leaving the game. We need more like him. He could be a horrible, arrogant sod, but was often right with it!

The "Fictional" bit is there to protect the author.

From all accounts, this is meant to be as close to an authentic account as you are likely to get...which is what sold it to me when I listened to the Book Show on Radio 4 (or whatever it's called) :D

Well recommended LFC :thumbup:

Do you read them? What's your current one? What's your favourite?

My fave has to be Down and Out in Paris and London ~ George Orwell

I love Orwell.

I'm rather partial to books on the history of physics too...Heavenly Intrigue: Johannes Kepler, Tycho Brahe, and the Murder Behind One of History's Greatest Scientific Discoveries being one of the best

...and Ubiquity by Marc Buchanan ~ the science of history

Tycho Brahe, that rings a bell...

The "Fictional" bit is there to protect the author.

From all accounts, this is meant to be as close to an authentic account as you are likely to get...which is what sold it to me when I listened to the Book Show on Radio 4 (or whatever it's called) :D

Well recommended LFC :thumbup:

I went out and bought this on your recommendation, and I'm enjoying every word so far. I've really got back into my reading recently, I've always read but I do go through stages where I don't pick anything up for a while. I have three on the go at the moment, all of which I'm enjoying a lot.

Read that a few months ago, not bad. 'The Day of the Jackal' and 'The Dogs of War' are the best Frederick Forsyth books I've read so far.

i'm reading 'the negotiator' now, well i've nearly finished it. i want to read 'dogs of war' . 'the negotiator' is a bit all over the place, the love interest is a bit unbelievable and there's a few to many characters. i'm due to read ben eltons' 'blind faith' which looks like an interesting satire.

I went out and bought this on your recommendation, and I'm enjoying every word so far. I've really got back into my reading recently, I've always read but I do go through stages where I don't pick anything up for a while. I have three on the go at the moment, all of which I'm enjoying a lot.

Almost finished it - I've been busy of late, but I got to read it going to and from Worcester on the train today. It really is a quality piece of prose. I'm going to be gutted to finish it.

Just read 'Rum Diaries'.

Quality book that, I could taste the Rum. Might have to go with "The old man and the sea" next. Anyone read it?

is that hunter s thompson ?

i remember reading his "Hells Angels " in the late 60s ,

Just read 'Rum Diaries'.

Quality book that, I could taste the Rum. Might have to go with "The old man and the sea" next. Anyone read it?

hemmingway. it's fabulous, so simple but so deep.

funnily enough i'm reading his 'over the hill and through the trees' now, which is good but not in the same league.

• 2 weeks later...
i'm reading 'the negotiator' now, well i've nearly finished it. i want to read 'dogs of war' . 'the negotiator' is a bit all over the place, the love interest is a bit unbelievable and there's a few to many characters. i'm due to read ben eltons' 'blind faith' which looks like an interesting satire.

just finished this (in 2 weeks, which is super quick for me!) it was great. although if you've read '1984' you might think you've read it before, but it is actually an interesting look at the way things are now and how (if things go on as they are) they might be in the not to distant future (150 years or so).

basically life is one big internet forum where you survive or perish at the whims of an 'inner circle' :o and if you show and difference, ability to think for yourself or keep secrets, your a paedo, weirdo or perv. i suggest you give it a go.

the twist is crap a saw it coming from miles away!

• 2 weeks later...
Just started reading Bill Bryson - Shakespeare!

Tis a very fascinating read. I urge people to buy it. Its under £4 at Asda! lol

I may just do that. I've always wanted to try Bryson, so seems a good place to start.

I recently bought 5 Terry Prachett discworld books to replace copies that though I had "lent" to people, but which it seems I have just "given away with random abandon". Got them from a 2nd hand bookshop in Wells-next-the-sea for a £10 result (though not as much a result as the people I "lent" my books to giving them back for nothing would be :angry: )

Never lend books! :thumbup:

I have a book for lazy people - I downloaded The God Delusion and was listening to it while walking the dog.

What a great way to read books - has anyone else listened to a good book lately.

Archived