Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Books

Have you? Where abouts and when?

Are you taking the piss? :unsure:

Colombia for a couple of years ~ Cali cartel territory, my lad was born there so he carries a Colombian passport as well as his English one. Six months in Ecuador and three and a bit years in Caracas.

Are you taking the piss? :unsure:

Colombia for a couple of years ~ Cali cartel territory, my lad was born there so he carries a Colombian passport as well as his English one. Six months in Ecuador and three and a bit years in Caracas.

I honestly wasn't aware. Very interesting, any reason why you moved out there?

• 2 months later...

BBC.

Author of Flashman stories dies

Griff Rhys Jones and George MacDonald Fraser in a 1999 BBC documentary

The novelist with Griff Rhys Jones in a BBC documentary in 1999

The novelist George MacDonald Fraser, author of the Flashman adventure stories, has died aged 82, his publisher has said.

The popular books saw womanising anti-hero Sir Harry Flashman, fight his way around the British Empire.

MacDonald Fraser, who was appointed an OBE in 1999, also wrote the screenplay for James Bond film Octopussy.

The Carlisle-born journalist turned author, who lived on the Isle of Man, had fought cancer for several years.

He was married and had three children.

Flash of inspiration

MacDonald Fraser served as a soldier in Burma and India during World War II and later rose to be deputy editor of the Glasgow Herald newspaper.

He was still working there when the first Flashman book was published in 1969.

A further 11 followed, the last in 2005.

The inspiration for Sir Harry Flashman came from the 19th century novel, Tom Brown's Schooldays, where the character features as the cowardly bully who torments the hero, Tom.

Sir Harry Flashman book

George MacDonald Fraser wrote 11 Flashman novels

MacDonald Fraser based his tales on the idea that Flashman's "memoirs" had been unearthed in an old trunk in a Leicestershire auction room.

Despite being a vain, cowardly rogue, as well as a racist and a sexist, the character managed to play a pivotal role in many of the 19th Century's most significant events, always emerging covered in glory.

As well as Octopussy in 1983, MacDonald Fraser wrote other screenplays including The Prince and The Pauper and The Three Musketeers.

Fellow author Kingsley Amis called him "a marvellous reporter and a first-rate historical novelist".

The former news editor on the Herald, 83-year-old Bob Brown, described MacDonald Fraser as "a highly competent journalist".

"He was a smashing bloke, amiable, friendly and first-class company," he said.

Murray Ritchie, 66, was taught journalism by MacDonald Fraser on the Dumfries Standard in the 1960s.

"He was a brilliant journalist. He was a superbly gifted writer, he wrote with such clarity, and was a good leader writer and editor."

He added: "Way back in the '60s he was seen as the journalist of his generation in Scotland."

Just thought I'd put this in as I'm reading 'Flashman and the Redskins' at the moment. I'm working my way through the Flashman series and can thoroughly recommend them.

The stories and the characters in the book (apart from Flashman himself) are based on real historical events and people.

More amusing than laugh out loud the stories are not very PC, I prefer to call them balanced, ie both sides are as bad as each other, but they're damn good adventure stories and you learn a bit of history too.

BBC.

Just thought I'd put this in as I'm reading 'Flashman and the Redskins' at the moment. I'm working my way through the Flashman series and can thoroughly recommend them.

The stories and the characters in the book (apart from Flashman himself) are based on real historical events and people.

More amusing than laugh out loud the stories are not very PC, I prefer to call them balanced, ie both sides are as bad as each other, but they're damn good adventure stories and you learn a bit of history too.

On the subject of dead authors I'm reading a Confederacy of Dunces, which was published ten years after author John Kennedy Toole killed himself.

An enjoyable read.

Peter Kay book is VERY funny.

on the subject of humourous books, i got the complete prose of woody allen for xmas, fabulous...

also, we just bought a new retro 50s/60s book shelf, also fabulous...

Er i read all the HArry Potter books pretty good :D

Also my favourite book has to be a book called SUPERSSOR by Andy McNabb, i suggest you read it if you like espioage books, i really liked it,

i was reading the blurb on the back of some of his stuff (part of my job, honest) and, well, aren't they all just the same novel set in different wars...

like:

ex soldier, suffering from post-war trauma has to be sent into hostile situation, whilst fighting his demons and confronting past superiors along the way...

um, in fact is that the plot of rambo, too?

i was reading the blurb on the back of some of his stuff (part of my job, honest) and, well, aren't they all just the same novel set in different wars...

like:

ex soldier, suffering from post-war trauma has to be sent into hostile situation, whilst fighting his demons and confronting past superiors along the way...

um, in fact is that the plot of rambo, too?

You missed out defeating the Vietnamese army and shooting down a helicopter with just a bow and arrow.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, been reading some freebie books from work, in amongst the usual choices...

read -

If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by jon macgregor - which was almost unutterably tedious, and despite some really nice detailing, is like reading a very long list, i found it impossible to lose myself in what was a very bland novel, with genuinely dull characters...

The Rain Before the Fall by jonathon coe - this is much better, interesting and believable characters, a touching story with plenty of atmosphere, not finished it yet, but enjoying it so far...

but it couldn't touch....

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath - which was wonderful, expected it to be dreary but it is really heartwarming, and she has a fantastically dark sardonic sense of humour... recommended.

I'm currently reading Loyalists by Peter Taylor. It's a fab read at the mo!

For fictional books, I like John Grisham, James Patterson Vince Flynn and Nelson DeMille. One of the best books I have read in a very long time is The Charm School by Demille. :thumbsup: Also, if anyone has read any Vince Flynn books-Mitch Rapp is a tough fecker!

Good Morning and Hello!

I've been browsing for a bit and have found a topic here to ease myself in.

Currently reading about 10 different books, whilst making very little progressing towards finishing them.

Diane Purkiss' 'English Civil War', Kostova's 'The Historian', Follett's 'World Without End', a book about Boudicca (name of author sadly forgotten) and John Major's recent work on the history of cricket are all ongoing 'projects'.

Got a couple of Steven Saylor's, two of Ben Elton's and Derren Browne's latest too.

Last night I finished Louis Theroux's 'Call of the Weird'. Good read.

Has anyone read 'The Old Patagonian Express' by Paul Theroux? Best book I have ever read.

Yup...but as interesting as i found it I also felt that it was smugger than a Tory in a safe seat going to a WI fete. I didn't care for the superior tones he frequently adopted but what miffed me the most was discovering that loads of the track no longer exists.

It's worth, I should add, going to Ecuador to ride on the sections still running there - especially the Devils Nose. You get to sit on the roof of a box car enjoying the sunrise and spectacular views of the Andes. A definite 'must do before death' thing :thumbup:

Archived