Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Books

The older I've got the more shit TV has become...but the better internet has become. When I was a kid I used to stare at the empty space on the desk just dreaming of the day someone would invent a box that would allow me lightening fast access to images of naked women. Hey presto! Years later and billions of pounds of R&D and marketing result in males across the globe not needing to go to shops to get their Jazz mags, and the time saved from going into town leaves more time for reading books. :thumbup:

I found it easier just to nick my Dads mags.

sideboob.png

You like that sideboob?

Well you shouldn't, because that's my sideboob

I remember you posting that before.

You need to drink a cup of originality Ormonpops because you is getting stale. In fact I might make a thread protesting about you in that forum where everyone goes to moan about other posters.

But isn't that odd - that forum section is crammed full of people moaning about not being able to connect to FT for some reasons and then when they do they moan about having to read posts by people they don't like reading.

I tell you, the world is going mad, madder than a handful of cows in a wheelbarrow.

Have now finished Dead Famous. The oppotunity arose because I was stuck in a pub when heavey rain started today. I guessed who did the murder early on and had a good idea of the motive but did not know how. Good read and very satirical. Everything I'd expect from Ben Elton. There were a few clues scattered about the pages on how the murderer was going to be uncloaked and it was quite cleverly done.

Easy read, no strain on the brain. 8/10

is this any good, his first was over-hyped to fu(k, despite being IMO no more that average?

i quite liked the curious incident... but a little overrated i agree. those i know who have read the follow up say it's pretty crap, but i don't know.

a great book i got for xmas (maybe mentioned already) is the novel on Brian Clough's time at Leeds. The Damned Utd? i think it was called

i quite liked the curious incident... but a little overrated i agree. those i know who have read the follow up say it's pretty crap, but i don't know.

a great book i got for xmas (maybe mentioned already) is the novel on Brian Clough's time at Leeds. The Damned Utd? i think it was called

i've seen that come thru as an import, supposed to be brilliant, but i'm a little sceptical about this trend for writing 'fictional biographies', it's the sort of thing that, over time, can lead to history becoming distorted...*

apparently a cracking read, tho

*why do i get the feeling that is bait to daggers et al...?

i've seen that come thru as an import, supposed to be brilliant, but i'm a little sceptical about this trend for writing 'fictional biographies', it's the sort of thing that, over time, can lead to history becoming distorted...*

apparently a cracking read, tho

*why do i get the feeling that is bait to daggers et al...?

nah get it you'll love it! get teitam brown by mick foley too :thumbup:

nah get it you'll love it! get teitam brown by mick foley too :thumbup:

have such a backlog, but always willing to try - but i need more than that as a recommendation, tell me more...

is this any good, his first was over-hyped to fu(k, despite being IMO no more that average?

Tis pretty good to be fair.

Tis about an old boy who gradually loses his marbles.

Bit like Daggers!!! :D

• 1 month later...

Bought two books yesterday from a charity shop.

Beer My Arse by guess who?

and

True story of Ned Kelly and his gang by Peter Carey

The subject of the first is obvious I think. A compilations of Ricky Tomlinsons funny pub stories that he collected with some jokes thrown in.

One of the first stories he tells is when he went to Dublin with some mates. Went in a pub and the landlord came out.

'Sorry lads we do not open for another 30 minutes.' After a pause he said ' Will you be having a drink while you're waiting?''

The Ned Kelly one is taken from documentation that turned out to be Ned kelly's memoirs. The author has taken them and turned them into a biographical novel speaking in Ned kellys voice (the first person). Starts off with how he is captured and walks towards the police in his famous armour and teel helmet. Someone shoots him in the legs and as a reward taken to safety and given the memoirs. (I think it was him it says the one responsible for Kelly's capture) Anyway sounds an interesting read and a bit more serious than what I have read for a while.

It's a booker prize winner so can't be that bad.

n62416.jpg

Not a good advert for moving to Australia.

I also bought two City videos. Their Worthington Cup year 2000 and 95/96 Season.

Left them all at home.

have such a backlog, but always willing to try - but i need more than that as a recommendation, tell me more...

hmm well it might not be to everyones taste but it's pretty funny, i can't remember that much as i read it 2 years ago but it's basically a young lad, messed up family (lives with his dad who goes round sleeping with loads of ladies and beating ppl up), falls for a girl in his class. it's quality but i can;t remember exactly why!!

sorry i didn't reply till a month later!

Just started that Ned Kelly book. Peter Carey writes it as an autobiographical novel. From the start even though what he became cannote be condoned you can understand why. It was the time first colonists and according to his 'recolections' they were treated awful mainly because it was regarded as a penal colony and the people as criminals.

James Dean: 50 Years Ago

Tis a very interesting book. Well actually i guess only interesting if you are a fan of James Dean and his movies.

Lots of never before seen pictures as well chronicalling from both his personal and professional life. :thumbup:

just started 'the negotiator' by frederick forsyth. it begins discussing the worlds oil trade and problems with the number of oil producing countries reducing (a lot more interesting than it sounds) it's all based around the time of the first gulf war. i'm hoping that it'll be at least half as good as 'the devils alternative' (which was based around the worlds' grain trade......also A LOT more interesting than it sounds) which was, by far, the best book i've read in a long time.

Archived