Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Books

just started 'the negotiator' by frederick forsyth. it begins discussing the worlds oil trade and problems with the number of oil producing countries reducing (a lot more interesting than it sounds) it's all based around the time of the first gulf war. i'm hoping that it'll be at least half as good as 'the devils alternative' (which was based around the worlds' grain trade......also A LOT more interesting than it sounds) which was, by far, the best book i've read in a long time.

Read that a few months ago, not bad. 'The Day of the Jackal' and 'The Dogs of War' are the best Frederick Forsyth books I've read so far.

hmm well it might not be to everyones taste but it's pretty funny, i can't remember that much as i read it 2 years ago but it's basically a young lad, messed up family (lives with his dad who goes round sleeping with loads of ladies and beating ppl up), falls for a girl in his class. it's quality but i can;t remember exactly why!!

sorry i didn't reply till a month later!

:giggle:

i had to click back to remember what we were talking about.

i went straight from 'the rainbow' into the sequel 'women in love'...(dhlawrence) -ineveitably brilliant, tho too much talk of death.

thinking of buying 'the end of mr Y' by scarlett thompson(???) anyone read it, read the first chapter and she writes really well...

I've just started The Looming Tower - Al Qaeda's Road To 9/11 by Lawrence Wright. It won the Pulitzer Prize in 2007 and so far it's very good

Other books I'd recommend are "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" by John Berendt and "Music for Chameleons" by Truman Capote

Just ordered a book called The Last Fighting Tommy about the oldest World War 1 veteran still alive today who is now 109 years old! His name is Harry Patch.

Im really interested in the World Wars so should be a very interesting and insightful read! :thumbup:

Anyone else heard of this book or read it?

Just ordered a book called The Last Fighting Tommy about the oldest World War 1 veteran still alive today who is now 109 years old! His name is Harry Patch.

Im really interested in the World Wars so should be a very interesting and insightful read! :thumbup:

Anyone else heard of this book or read it?

He was on the news the other day. Someone had written some poetry about him.

• 2 weeks later...

In the Shadow of Papillon: Seven Years of Hell in Venezuela's Prison System (Mass Market Paperback)

Although it has been on the shelf for a while, I started it yesterday and am found it impossible to put down.

Not literally. That would be stupid.

It's not the greatest piece of writing by any stretch, and maybe it's that I know all the locations and some of the people he refers to, but I loved it.

51CMClG0mGL._SS500_.jpg

I don't read books, ever, but I saw this article on BBC Sport about Mike Tyson and James Douglas' fight in 1990. It had a section of the book and it read really well. So I decided to treat myself and bought the book. I've been reading a chapter a day and it's absolutely brilliant. I just get really unconfortable reading in lying down, because the right hand side of the book has to be held up. >_> Just a little pet peeve I have.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm reading Charlie Brooker's 'Dawn of The Dumb', basically just a compilation of his Guardian columns. It's great, he hates pretty much everything and everyone, but manages to do it in a very funny way. Those not familiar with his style can get a taste at www.tvgohome.com

The only problem with the book is that something has gone horribly wrong at the printers and it leaps from page 82 to page 213, and after that it's all over the place and some of the pages have disappeared completely. It would be worse if it were a novel, but as it's in chronological order it's not the best.

This country etc

In the Shadow of Papillon: Seven Years of Hell in Venezuela's Prison System (Mass Market Paperback)

Although it has been on the shelf for a while, I started it yesterday and am found it impossible to put down.

Not literally. That would be stupid.

It's not the greatest piece of writing by any stretch, and maybe it's that I know all the locations and some of the people he refers to, but I loved it.

51CMClG0mGL._SS500_.jpg

You're familiar with the inside of Venezualan prison cells? :whistle:

You're familiar with the inside of Venezualan prison cells? :whistle:

I've met La Guardia National and La Policia Metropolana but I didn't get a t-shirt.

There are

we don't live there anymore :D

Being very lazy but was it here I got the recommendation for The Social Atom? It arrived a few weeks ago and I havent started yet but may tomorrow - is it a pickup put down or sessioner?

Also, just bought Rebel Without a Crew - Robert Rodriguez' story of filming Desperado, may also buy The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks

Being very lazy but was it here I got the recommendation for The Social Atom? It arrived a few weeks ago and I havent started yet but may tomorrow - is it a pickup put down or sessioner?

Also, just bought Rebel Without a Crew - Robert Rodriguez' story of filming Desperado, may also buy The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks

Social Atom depends on how keen you are on the subject material - Wasp Factory will be completed in a couple of days.

Social Atom depends on how keen you are on the subject material - Wasp Factory will be completed in a couple of days.

I couldn't put it down and raced through it as well, although I was a bit disappointed by the end of it.

At least the pages were in the right order though

just finished 'women in love' - boy, great novel but too much death and thinking!

gone for some crazy mexican wine consumption with John Steinbeck's 'tortilla flat'...

I'm reading a book at the moment but it's a right pile of dog shi te. I wish I hadn't bought the other two in the series as well.

I think it's called Dissolution.

Don't buy it.

Edit: Yes. Dissolution by C J Sansom.

Dull as ditchwater and fu cking rubbish.

Archived