Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Books

I've just finished reading a book on eighteenth century warfare. I'll stick it in the post if it will be of any interest to you?

not that i'm complaining, but....

have youever thought about having a yard sale?

I've just finished reading a book on eighteenth century warfare. I'll stick it in the post if it will be of any interest to you?

Hmm. I'll have a look round for my topic list and see if it's in anyway relevant.

I suspect it's not, but it sounds interesting, so I wouldn't mind having a gander!

not that i'm complaining, but....

have youever thought about having a yard sale?

Don't have a yard! ;)

Seriously, once I've read it, I like for someone else to get some use out of these things.

Hmm. I'll have a look round for my topic list and see if it's in anyway relevant.

I suspect it's not, but it sounds interesting, so I wouldn't mind having a gander!

It is a fairly interesting read, once it gets going. He does have a fairly laboured style and spends the first few chapters justifying why he's writing the book etc etc etc... decent enough though. It's not Eurocentric either, which is partly why I bought it, so much military history is simply European focused.

Anyway - I'll post it soon! ;)

The Diving-Bell and the Butterfly by Jean Dominique Bauby.

Its an incredible book because the author suffered a massive stroke,left him completly paralysed except for the movement of one eye.

He 'dictated' this book.

Amazing

I've read The Dark Tower recently. Tough going but a good read if you like Stephen King. Written over 20+ years period so parts of it may not be as good. They have a Marvel comic version out. It follows the Gunslinger (Roland) in his early years which I believe is book four. That could be taken as a book on its own but its still better to read from the beginning.

• 1 month later...

I'm reading' The Eye of the Needle' by Ken Follette.

Mildly entertaining if a little predictable.

Has anybody ever read one of his books that doesn't have an oral sex scene? I mean men and women do other things as well.

He seems obsessed to me.

Saw a couple of books in a charity shop window that one or two might be interted in. The first was 'How to kill your husband and other handy tips.' (Mrs Chandler?) and one entitle something like 'Forgotten skills for men like mowing the lawn or changing a light bulb'

ah, books are back....

seeing i now work for a bookshop and get massive discounts, i yhink my backlog is gonna become totally unmanagable soon...

just finished:

lasso round the moon - agnar mykle

the postman always rings twice - james cain

the anti-death league - kingsley amis

and intermittantly dropping in to a mary mccarthy biography...

start a new book, not sure which, have so many to get through, but really fancy rereading 'tender is the night' by f. scott fitzgerald....

the anti-death league - kingsley amis

I loved that he was slated last week for being homophobic and an anti-Semite...by a chap blissfully ignorant of the fact that out of three of the four witnesses at his wedding: two were Jewish and the third was gay.

Damn good books that Amis, damn good - shame his son never fitted into his shoes. Time's Arrow my arse!

I'm reading' The Eye of the Needle' by Ken Follette.

Mildly entertaining if a little predictable.

Has anybody ever read one of his books that doesn't have an oral sex scene? I mean men and women do other things as well.

He seems obsessed to me.

Very probably these two ;)

I loved that he was slated last week for being homophobic and an anti-Semite...by a chap blissfully ignorant of the fact that out of three of the four witnesses at his wedding: two were Jewish and the third was gay.

Damn good books that Amis, damn good - shame his son never fitted into his shoes. Time's Arrow my arse!

yeah, but he fu(kin hated 'em!

amis is great - the same accusations have been thrown at henry miller, and he is a sexist, anti-semetic racist, but in the middle of the last century that was the cultural norm , i guess....

i liked london fields, by martin amis, not a patch on his dad, but probabbly the only comtemporary author i read???

have you read 'the egyptians' or 'the alteration'???

have you read 'the egyptians' or 'the alteration'???

Nope.

I reckon the largest body of work I've ploughed though of a contemporary author I have read must be Ian Banks'. His first eight-odd were cracking.

Not his Ian.M.Banks sci-fi tosh though, I tried Consider Phlebas and was moved to consider suicide to end the experience.

Nope.

I reckon the largest body of work I've ploughed though of a contemporary author I have read must be Ian Banks'. His first eight-odd were cracking.

Not his Ian.M.Banks sci-fi tosh though, I tried Consider Phlebas and was moved to consider suicide to end the experience.

hmmm, yeah, not an author iæve considered, isn't he mostly a 'crime' writer?

but, you should try to get your hands on those amis books, really good...

Currently reading...

astonishing_gods.jpg

Bizarre and surreal but amazing prose and imagery. Worth a read if you're looking for something a bit different.

Just finished...

417M5YF5REL._AA240_.jpg

Hostage situation in a South American presidential house. Interesting exploration of the characters of both the captors and the hostages. Well crafted and a none-too-taxing read. Have to say, I felt a bit let down by the ending, but don't let that put you off - the rest makes up for it, imo.

Mensi - have you read this? It might not be hardcore/heavyweight enough for your liking :dunno: but it could be your kinda thing. :unsure:

Not really - masturbation, coming of age, discovery of self, punk music and pulling the wings off wasps mainly :D

ah, all good.... sadly way down my scheduled reading list for now...

Archived