Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Books

I'm a massive fan of autobiographies. I think I tallied three by the time holiday was finished.

Russell Brand's booky wook is actually bloody brilliant, even if your not a fan of his act.

Louis Moody 2003/204 diaries was pretty shite.

Stephen Fry- Moab is my washpot. Quite enjoyable.

Excellent read. I'm a bit biased as I love the bloke. He is an ugly bugger though, it has to be said.

Two recommended reads..

Into The Wild by John Krakauer

Touching The Void by Joe Simpson

Both really inspiring and touching stories, both movies/documentaries aswell.

I'm reading Roger Bannister's autobiography at the moment and am well into it.

i was intrigued by this, but just read the ending to find out what happened - i seem to remember seeing the cast for the movie version and pulling my hair out, not sure why now, other than dumb casting, i think...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm working my through the original Ian Flemming James Bond books. Just about to start 'Diamonds are Forever'.

Not much of a stretch mentally but enjoyable non the less.

Half way through Dr No, I couldn't recommend to the more PC amongst you. Some of the descriptions of the various races on Jamaica are a tad offensive. Tbf it was written in the 50s though when these opinions were the norm.

Jack Kerouac - On the Road

Stuart Maconie - Pies and Prejudice: In Search of the North

David Miles - The Tribes of Britain

Chris Stringer - HOMO BRITANNICUS: The Incredible Story of Human Life in Britain

Bryan Sykes - Blood of the Isles

All recommended.

Stringer and Miles are fascinating reads throughout.

Sykes less so, but interesting in patches. Suffers from horrible structure and a writing style.

Which.

Wouldn't.

Look.

Out of.

Place, in a;; -

Thracian - post.

Kerouac is a must read and bobs along at a decent pace. Enjoyable enough.. which is more than can be said for a lot of cult 'must reads!!!!!!!!!'.

Maconie - Recommended to me.. but not that great. Bit of a twee, observationalist ode to the north. Monotonous discussion of what is and is not north too. You might enjoy it if you're interested in how people from Merseyside view each other and the Woollyback (Wiganers) etc but it left me a bit cold.

Next up:

John Major - More Than a Game: The Story of Cricket's Early Years.

I used to read loads but I don't any more... I just seem to have got out of the habit. I kinda miss it but somehow just can't get back into it.

I only ever used to read in bed though, and nowadays when I finally get to bed I'm so tired I fall asleep immediately. I'd be lucky to read as far as the end of a sentence. :/

I used to read loads but I don't any more... I just seem to have got out of the habit. I kinda miss it but somehow just can't get back into it.

I only ever used to read in bed though, and nowadays when I finally get to bed I'm so tired I fall asleep immediately. I'd be lucky to read as far as the end of a sentence. :/

Well you do, from what I see on here, go bed at a rediculous hour especially if your up early teaching kids. Sometimes it's more a psychological factor as to why you can't be arsed in general, infact I don't think its a case of being arsed to read a book it's more the fact you are addicted to the internet/this forum and feel you don't (potentially) want to miss out on something thats been posted.

You will probably say I am wrong because at the end of the day people don't like owning upto psychological disorders, but if you think about it before posting a response you'll probably come to the conclusion i'm right!

Same here. I only read when I have nothing else to do, e.g. laptop is dodged up or something.

Been drifting in and out of Scar Tissue, Anthony Kiedis' autobiography, nothing ingenious obviously but really interesting/insane.

I make myself read before bed - often this is something I don't realise I want to do, but end up reading for quite a while.

I think it helps me to relax.

Having said that, my work commitments have been really big recently, both in my 9-5 and otherwise, so although I am managing to find the time at the moment, that might not continue much longer.

Reading might have to be replaced with... *shudders* ... studying.

Well you do, from what I see on here, go bed at a rediculous hour especially if your up early teaching kids. Sometimes it's more a psychological factor as to why you can't be arsed in general, infact I don't think its a case of being arsed to read a book it's more the fact you are addicted to the internet/this forum and feel you don't (potentially) want to miss out on something thats been posted.

You will probably say I am wrong because at the end of the day people don't like owning upto psychological disorders, but if you think about it before posting a response you'll probably come to the conclusion i'm right!

Interesting character profile from someone who knows fuck all about me but clearly feels qualified to pass comment. Bizarre. :dunno:

I must admit when I first read your post I was all for posting a defensive reply with a host of reasons explaining why I'm on FT so regularly and so late at night but, quite frankly, having taken the time to consider my response I see absolutely no need to justify myself or my actions to you - perhaps I just can't be arsed. :unsure:

I'm still at a loss as to what exactly you are basing your amateur psycho analysis on that has lead you to draw the conclusion that I have a psychological disorder - I no longer read books as much as I used to... I come on FT at some point most evenings... I don't need much sleep... hmmm... guess I must be seriously screwed up. The fact that I'm "in denial" will no doubt lead you to smugly conclude that you were spot on.

But you know what - I actually don't give a shit. Nor shall I be losing any sleep over it!

If a friend wants to pass comment on me, that's fine - and I'll respect their opinion; but not that of some random, unknown person who so readily makes sweeping generalisations.

• 4 weeks later...

Been to the Screenwriting Expo at the LA Convention Center last week and these three days have stirred and somewhat resurrected or even boosted my interest in screenwriting, producing and direcing...

I'm indulging myself in several filmmaking-related sources of wisdom, such as

Christopher Vogler - The Writer's Journey

David Dalton - James Dean: The Mutant King

Stephen Lowenstein - My First Movie: Twenty Celebrated Directors Talk About Their First Film

Sharon Waxman - Rebels On The Backlot: Six Maverick Directors And How They Conquered The Hollywood Studio System

Diane Carson - John Sayles: Interviews

Jed Dannenbaum, Carroll Hodge, Doe Meyer - Creative Filmmaking From The Inside Out

George Stevens Jr. - The Great Moviemakers/Hollywood's Golden Age

Plus the original screenplays of

Sideways

Little Miss Sunshine

Juno

You wanna read The Invisible Man by HG Wells next-great story.

Never reading any HG wells agian!!!

Thought War of the World was supposed to be a classic!!!

Now im reading The Book Thief.

I was working at a school during half term and the librarian was having a clear out. I rescued a book called 'Hezrog' by Saul Bellow. I'm beginning to think the librarian had the right idea.

I've read 60 odd pages of an eccentric man writing letters to various people. If anyone has read this please tell that something happens eventually, I'm seriously considering giving up.

• 1 month later...

Archived