Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Books

:D

Yup...but as interesting as i found it I also felt that it was smugger than a Tory in a safe seat going to a WI fete. I didn't care for the superior tones he frequently adopted but what miffed me the most was discovering that loads of the track no longer exists.

It's worth, I should add, going to Ecuador to ride on the sections still running there - especially the Devils Nose. You get to sit on the roof of a box car enjoying the sunrise and spectacular views of the Andes. A definite 'must do before death' thing :thumbup:

I know Theroux gets a lot of stick for that, but the sheer fact that he is so repulsed by what he sees makes it more interesting for me. Don't know why. I was reading it last year whilst travelling through Costa Rica, and yes the Limon railway he speaks of is now derilict, just rustly tracks leading from the banana plantations to nowhere. In April I am going to Chile for 3 weeks and have discovered that their railways are pretty crap these days too. Still the buses have fully reclining chairs allegedly so should be OK. The Patagonian Express itself is still running however, but given that Chile is the equivalent length of the distance from Norway - Nigeria, I doubt I will have time to slip across the Andes into Argentina to ride it. I'll save it for another trip

:D

I know Theroux gets a lot of stick for that, but the sheer fact that he is so repulsed by what he sees makes it more interesting for me. Don't know why. I was reading it last year whilst travelling through Costa Rica, and yes the Limon railway he speaks of is now derilict, just rustly tracks leading from the banana plantations to nowhere. In April I am going to Chile for 3 weeks and have discovered that their railways are pretty crap these days too. Still the buses have fully reclining chairs allegedly so should be OK. The Patagonian Express itself is still running however, but given that Chile is the equivalent length of the distance from Norway - Nigeria, I doubt I will have time to slip across the Andes into Argentina to ride it. I'll save it for another trip

Take me, Monkerino (as I believe your full name is).

Just received a late Xmas present. Don't know anything about the author so input would be good.

It is a two part book. That is, you turn it upside down for each part. It is by BORAT and entitled Touristic Guidings To Minor Nations Of US And A and in reverse Touristic Guidings To Glorious Nations Of KAZAKHSTAN.

As you may have already gathered this is not the run of the mill guide book but humourous in its content. It is full of photos of people that the author has met and the text is written in broken and poor English.

A couple of examples.

Although US and A is very strict with laws and orders, it have most humane method of execution in the world - lethal injections. Kazakhstan recent adopt this method also and we now finish our crimminals by pumping 7 gallons of battery acid into their ANOOS.

SYSTEM POLITIIK OF US AND A

Pollitik of US and A is very liberal and ANY citizen can become Premier, nomatter what their backgrounds - in the last 40 year, a crimminal, a retard and a sex offender have all had this job.

A lot of the book seems tongue in cheek. It does give a warning that it is not suitable for young children and also women. It says your wife might read it and decide she doesn't want to pull a plough any more.

I like madcap humour.

Dead Famous by Ben Elton. A spoof/pis take of Big Brother. Very funny read and he has got it spot on. Not a lover of the programme so am enjoying the cynicism.

STILL!!! :o you're a slowere reader than me!

i finished my jonathan coe last night, and have decided to reread a classic - the rainbow by D H Lawrence... don't think i appreciated last time.

Quick question i enjoy books but am one of those people who starts and stops and starts and stops and can never find time as something on TV etc. Or can never find a good book which as a whole frustrates the hell out of me cos onces i've read a book i have completed loved it..

As you get older do you become more of and avid reader or am i stuck with the above for life?

Quick question i enjoy books but am one of those people who starts and stops and starts and stops and can never find time as something on TV etc. Or can never find a good book which as a whole frustrates the hell out of me cos onces i've read a book i have completed loved it..

As you get older do you become more of and avid reader or am i stuck with the above for life?

The older I've got the more shit TV has become...but the better internet has become. When I was a kid I used to stare at the empty space on the desk just dreaming of the day someone would invent a box that would allow me lightening fast access to images of naked women. Hey presto! Years later and billions of pounds of R&D and marketing result in males across the globe not needing to go to shops to get their Jazz mags, and the time saved from going into town leaves more time for reading books. :thumbup:

The older I've got the more shit TV has become...but the better internet has become. When I was a kid I used to stare at the empty space on the desk just dreaming of the day someone would invent a box that would allow me lightening fast access to images of naked women. Hey presto! Years later and billions of pounds of R&D and marketing result in males across the globe not needing to go to shops to get their Jazz mags, and the time saved from going into town leaves more time for reading books. :thumbup:

this is sadly very true, there'll always be something to distract you, but i think you do find that as you get older you appreciate books and know which readers keep you interested...

best way to read more.... get a job where you have to get a train to work :thumbup:

ps. nice to see the little daggers men back, and to mark that 17k landmark, even better :thumbup::thumbup:

this is sadly very true, there'll always be something to distract you, but i think you do find that as you get older you appreciate books and know which readers keep you interested...

best way to read more.... get a job where you have to get a train to work :thumbup:

ps. nice to see the little daggers men back, and to mark that 17k landmark, even better :thumbup::thumbup:

Yeah but its still not happening even with a 2.20min round trip cos i got a psp but i do read occasionally on the train I like reading Autobiography's but i'm going to read more proper books i love the felling of when your reading and don't want to put the book down cos its that good.

Great post to Daggers :)

Bought two more books the other day (charity shop)

Football my Arse- ricky Tomlinson

Carrott RootsJasper Carrott

Theres a few football quotes in Ricky Tomlinson's book. Found an old one of Ian Holloway.

'My day didn't start well. The Holloway household had to have our dog put down unfortunately, but that's life. I've just said to the lads "You're born and you die on a date. You've got to work on the dash in the middle."

Ian Walker (could have been said when at Leicester.

'maybe the mistakes have looked worse because they led to goals.'

The reason why I've been slow reading Ben Elton is I keep leaving it at home, and when I do take it work I forget to take it out my bag or I'm on FT most of the time.

Edit for a Stan Collymore and a City related quote.

'I faxed a transfer request to the club at the beginning of the week, but let me state that I don't want to leave Leicester.'

Frank Worthington- I had eleven clubs, twelve if you count Stringfellows.'

I'm reading a load of history books at the moment.

I won't bore you with the titles, but most of it is civil war stuff as well as a few works on the origin of modern british identity, tribes of ancient Britain and in one case specifically Boudicca and the Iceni tribe.

I'm reading a load of history books at the moment.

I won't bore you with the titles, but most of it is civil war stuff as well as a few works on the origin of modern british identity, tribes of ancient Britain and in one case specifically Boudicca and the Iceni tribe.

Ditto.

Currently on Stalingrad, to be followed by a couple of books on the Pol Pot regime.

Really uplifting stuff.

These are really good---

Kite%20runner.jpg

and

203967043.jpg

oh raj, please don't - i work in a book shop and heve had to lug hundreds of these buggers about, except they look like this....

1kiterunner.jpg

and

9788251623384.jpg

I've always liked Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby, but feel that it could be vastly improved by having blank spaces for (insert football team/stadium of your choice) :thumbup:

Stoopid Arsenal! :angry:

I recently read The Vesuvius Club by Mark Gatiss (of League of Gentlemen fame), but never finished it - was enjoying it, knew the hero was gay, but then it all got a little too gay. In the same way, a book that got a little too hetrosexual would put me off... if I read an adventure story I want adventure, not shagging! If I wanted shagging (sic) I'd buy Razzle!

oh raj, please don't - i work in a book shop and heve had to lug hundreds of these buggers about, except they look like this....

1kiterunner.jpg

and

9788251623384.jpg

WTF :o

That aint the English.

Thats all foreign sort of English writing.

bloomin foreigners! :angry::)

Archived