Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Books

The following offerings come to mind, each for a host of different reasons. N.

ON THE ROAD by Jack Kerouac

BIRDSONG by Sebastian Faulks

OF MICE AND MEN by John Steinbeck

THE SECRET HISTORY by Donna Tartt

VERNON GOD LITTLE by DBC Pierre

LABYRINTH by Kate Mosse

LORD OF THE FLIES by William Golding

TELL NO ONE by Harlan Coben

LOVE ALL THE PEOPLE by Bill Hicks

when we were in africa, me and my girlfriends brother both read lord of the flies, i think he enjoyed it more than me, i did like it, but the end came to quickly, or should i say conveniently....

he also read on the road, which he found really boring, which wouldn't surprise me as i found 'visions of cody' a touch aimless...

but then we also both read henry miller's tropice of capricorn, which is breathtaking, and couldn't be touched....

and i also read some steinbeck, really brilliant writer...

I have also never read Da Vinci Code (and don't suppose I ever will) and never read a Harry Potter book either!

I enjoyed "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell and recently read "Good News Bad News" (can't remember the author) which I picked up in the hotel lobby in Cuba recently - not likely to win any literary prizes but ideal for reading whilst perving at bikini clad girls round the pool!!

Sam Kashner - When I Was Cool.

Recommend this to anyone in to Kerouac, or any of the 'beat' poets or the scene itself.

don't know this author, might see if i can find a cheap copy on e.bay....

...i thought you weren't much of a reader - sounds like when you do you go for fairly smart stuff?

Dan Brown's very predictable.

I read Deception Point (I found it in a B&B in Australia when I needed something to read) and did the same.

Angels and Demons is the best one IMHO.

cant say that one was predictable :dunno:

Heard loads of hype over this series. I remember a friend told me either you get a lot extra from reading these before other King novels, or reading them after, as theres a lot of shared themes. Anyone know which is right, I can't remember and hes abroad for 7 months? :dunno:

Yeah there are a truck load of references and quite a few shared themes, and tbh I think it works either way in RE to order of reading.

...i thought you weren't much of a reader - sounds like when you do you go for fairly smart stuff?

I wouldn't say it's smart stuff really. I've got quite a few 'smart' books that I just haven't read and can't get in to.

It's really stuff I'm interested in. This particular one (Kashner - When I Was Cool) was something I picked up after a bit of research after reading a lot of books on Dylan/Cohen and people of that ilk. His name popped up as another of the great thinkers as they were thought of then. So I read it!

Thinking about it - I said I wasn't doing much reading recently but I finished this off last week too...

41TQDJM4P9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

It's a bit of an eye-opener and certainly makes you think.

I personally hate cancer and have a hand in running a charity.. it was when doing a bit of reading around the subject that I chanced across this (at home) and gave it a read. Actually enjoyed it in the end.

What I read can be very varied based on as many random factors as whether the cover appeals, what the library have, what I find lying around etc.

Oh and if you'd like to read the book I mentioned, I'd be happy to send you the copy I have.

Saves you buying it anyway, just let me know, pm me an address and I'll send.

like some classics too dickens and austen...

don't really read much after the 1960s... tho i like kingsley and martin amis

Love Dickens - not in touch with my feminine side enough for Bronte, I simply don't care for her protagonists...but Amis, wow, One Fat Englishman is a ripping read! 41A2ZBDEFXL._AA240_.jpg

ON THE ROAD by Jack Kerouac

LORD OF THE FLIES by William Golding

LOVE ALL THE PEOPLE by Bill Hicks

Love LOTF.

Loved Bill but found Love All The People to be a tedious drudge devoid of the humour he was synonymous with.

I read On The Road while travelling and it made me wish I was back home working in Banking - I hated it that much.

Favourite books are any by Dan Brown. Da vinci Code

I felt like a lit-slut for reading it, but I *whispers* really enjoyed it. :D

I've just bought another four books on Amazon this morning of which I am looking forward to 'On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace' the most.

I love books.

If books cooked and looked like Nigella Lawson I'd marry them.

Love Dickens - not in touch with my feminine side enough for Bronte, I simply don't care for her protagonists...but Amis, wow, One Fat Englishman is a ripping read!

I've just bought another four books on Amazon this morning of which I am looking forward to 'On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace' the most.

I love books.

If books cooked and looked like Nigella Lawson I'd marry them.

not a book, but the best way to enjoy bronte (not sure which one you dislike) is to watch the orson welles version of jane eyre - immense....

books are like heaven, i just wish i could read faster.... only thing better than reading, is writing....

... do we still have the amazon link on FT..?

Went shopping at one of those charity/junk shop countryside places today and got the following for a combined fee of 1.40 (high street charity shops are so expensive now, this place was bargain central):

The Ambler Warning -Robert Ludlum

football against the enemy - Simon Kuper

Dangerous Parking - Stuart Browne

Straw Dogs - John Gray

Anyone read any of these?

I've just read Tom Holland's Rubicon, as part of my pre course reading.

I liked it.

what course are you doing?

Went shopping at one of those charity/junk shop countryside places today and got the following for a combined fee of 1.40 (high street charity shops are so expensive now, this place was bargain central):

The Ambler Warning -Robert Ludlum

football against the enemy - Simon Kuper

Dangerous Parking - Stuart Browne

Straw Dogs - John Gray

Anyone read any of these?

is this the same as the movie?

I'm doing a secondary History PGCE.

I'm meant to be researching some of the topics that I don't have much knowledge on.

I've mostly read about the stuff I like. Hey ho!

I've just finished reading a book on eighteenth century warfare. I'll stick it in the post if it will be of any interest to you?

Archived