Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Books

Bookwise I'm about to start Chris Moyles' biography or autobiography whatever it is.

I've read everything else and it's an (unwanted) xmas present from the ex. She thought he was great, so bought me his book.

Nothing I've read recently has impressed me.. I went through a stage of buying and reading crime novels but I've come to the realisation that 90% of them are pure pap.

I'm reading Banker to the Poor by Mohammad Yunus (won the Nobel Peace prize last year).

I'm looking at getting involved in this sort of thing later in my career.

It's the fascinating story behind the Grameen Bank who aim to alleviate poverty through "micro-credit" - lending tiny sums to the poorest people.

It makes the World Bank look almost farcical while describing a real, sustainable method of alleviating poverty (visible progress has already been made around the world, particularly in Bangladesh).

Bob Geldof and Bono should take note.

A how to win at poker book.

Im getting more and more into Texas Hold Em and I can suggest a couple of books for you. Anyone from Doyle Brunson (don't get his sons as thats useless), maybe with his Power Poker one. Also Mike Petrivs book on Poker odds is worthwhile getting as you specifically learn how many outs after each stage of a game and what risks you take. Its the most important part of the game and makes you realize the right times to make a move with your chips.

oh boy! i didn't know we had a books thread - i love books, especially dusty old hardbacks, went crazy buying 1st editions on ebay last summer for pennies - including:

2 t s eliot plays

half a dozen elizabeth bowens - (rapdidly shoy into my top 5 authors)

couple of mary mccarthy

sigrid undset - kristin lavrandsdatter (sounds like something you'd like stripeyfox - and you can buy 'engelsk roman' in any norwegian bookshop? how odd?)

couple of aldous huxley

a nice old copy of thackeray's vanity fair

...loads of stuff,

and been buying stacks of old paper backs, old american 'bantam books' from flea markets, stuff like steinbeck and william faulner, also just got a copy of 'mildred pierce' and 'the postman always rings twice...

also have a bunch of literary biogs... damn, i have a backlog so big!

as for faves:

d h lawrence - undisputed no 1

also - most modernist stuff, huxley, virginia wolfe, elizabeth bowen

like some classics too dickens and austen...

don't really read much after the 1960s... tho i like kingsley and martin amis

current read - lasso round the moon - agnar mykle... enjoying it, but its norwegian and thus grim and rather slow moving.

interesting to read who reads what here, tells an awful lot about people

Now that you mention Aldous Huxley - just remembered. A month or so ago I re-read Brave New World. Just as good the second time round as the first!

I really should get myself some books. Library visit for me this evening I think!

go for it...

oh shit - henry miller - how did i forget - sexist racist, light years ahead of its time and absolutely amazing - tropic of capricorn is supposed to be the best but i prefer tropic of cancer

interesting to read who reads what here, tells an awful lot about people

I agree. Anyone who buys one of these inspid "footballers autobiography's" (such as Ashley Cole for example but there are plenty of others) deserves to be beaten around the head with a hardback copy until they see sense. I read Gazza's book a couple of years ago - what a pile of shit - i'd do anything to get those two hours of my life back!

I usually go in 'The Works' and buy 3 books for £5. They've usually been out for a long while but I'm not fussed. At the minute I'm reading a Frederick Forsythe and I've got a couple of Ken Follett's to come.

darkTower.jpgAlthough I have to admit to being extremly slow reading it, 8 months and counting :o:whistle:
Heard loads of hype over this series. I remember a friend told me either you get a lot extra from reading these before other King novels, or reading them after, as theres a lot of shared themes. Anyone know which is right, I can't remember and hes abroad for 7 months? :dunno:

The following offerings come to mind, each for a host of different reasons. N.

ON THE ROAD by Jack Kerouac

BIRDSONG by Sebastian Faulks

OF MICE AND MEN by John Steinbeck

THE SECRET HISTORY by Donna Tartt

VERNON GOD LITTLE by DBC Pierre

LABYRINTH by Kate Mosse

LORD OF THE FLIES by William Golding

TELL NO ONE by Harlan Coben

LOVE ALL THE PEOPLE by Bill Hicks

Archived