Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fox123

Playstation 3

Got mine today with Motorstorm and Resistance and they're both quality games. Havent been able to get the wireless system up and running yet though but will give that a proper run out later.

On the downside though, if you dont connect to the internet through your ps3, you can forget backwards compatability with PS2 and PsOne games. You need to download some software to make them work which is a bit of a pain to say the least.

Havent tested the Blu-Ray fully yet but that seems to be ok from the quick go I did have. CD and DVD are the standard players that you'd expect but to be honest thats all you really need and its not a flaw in the console in any way!

I took a walk down to the shop earlier to have a look at getting me a PlayStation 3.

I've had both the PS1 and PS2 on the release days as I'm a bit of a sucker like that.

I arrive in the shop and I'm confronted by 5 or 6 games.

I can get a PS3 + 1 control + any 2 games for £500.

So I start to look at the games and I must say......keep hold of your money as they are all just hype. Sony could have really bodged this up as the release games are terrible. Apparently the big games won't be out for a while, Final Fantasy 13, Devil My Cry 4 etc.

Motorstorm and Resistance Fall of man look rather over hyped to me.

Best bit about visiting the shop was the fact next to the PS3 stand was the Xbox 360 stand which offered Console + 2 games + 2 Controls = £300.

Difference of £200.

Like someone else said, with the price difference, you get get your self a Wii as well.

Can I ask a serious question here.

Does anyone really buy the benefits of having a Blu Ray disc player? The DVD player on my PS2 started on its wonder disc read errors after about 4 months. Who's to say the PS3 won't do the same thing?

I will get a PS3 though, I just want to see evidence of decent games first. Why waste £500 now, get a couple of naff games that the missus won't like, so I'll get moaned at then have to spend yet more money when I buy a decent game in 3 or 4 months time?

Does anyone really buy the benefits of having a Blu Ray disc player? The DVD player on my PS2 started on its wonder disc read errors after about 4 months. Who's to say the PS3 won't do the same thing?

I will get a PS3 though, I just want to see evidence of decent games first. Why waste £500 now, get a couple of naff games that the missus won't like, so I'll get moaned at then have to spend yet more money when I buy a decent game in 3 or 4 months time?

They dont even know if Blue Ray will take off. I know a section of the film industry has turned its back on the format as the discs are way more expensive to produce than HD (or whaever it is on the 360) something to do with the high copyright costs (of the blank discs) Sony are demanding.

They dont even know if Blue Ray will take off. I know a section of the film industry has turned its back on the format as the discs are way more expensive to produce than HD (or whaever it is on the 360) something to do with the high copyright costs (of the blank discs) Sony are demanding.

So its just a useless USP then, that they have overhyped.

So its just a useless USP then, that they have overhyped.

That's what I figure too ~ it simply has to be one price break point too far!

I baulk at forty pound games for the 360...but £50? Sheesh! If the comparative price between HD films and Bluray is the same then I simply can't see the bulk of people going for it.

There again, I'd never have believed people would have bought the Pet Rock idea either :D

Indeed my PS2 is starting to cark it, and my mates takes a comical 5 minutes minmum to get round to loading games/dvds. Mines not even that old either 5 years tops I think.

It's weird only 2 days after launch, and with Sony giving the UK 200,000 units. I can still go into any game shop or onto amazon/play etc. and buy one, two or three... just like that!! Same with X-Box 360's.

And yet you still can't find Wii's any where and they're still going for silly money on e-Bay... how weird!!??? :blink::P

That happened to my PS2 so I just took it back tut shop and got a new one.

I've had that for about 4 years and that's been fine.

It's weird only 2 days after launch, and with Sony giving the UK 200,000 units. I can still go into any game shop or onto amazon/play etc. and buy one, two or three... just like that!! Same with X-Box 360's.

And yet you still can't find Wii's any where and they're still going for silly money on e-Bay... how weird!!??? :blink::P

Let's be fair to the 360, it has been out for a year longer than the Wii.

That's a poor showing for the PS3 though.

' date='Mar 25 2007, 11:32 AM' post='569145']

That happened to my PS2 so I just took it back tut shop and got a new one.

I've had that for about 4 years and that's been fine.

Let's be fair to the 360, it has been out for a year longer than the Wii.

That's a poor showing for the PS3 though.

And the Wii's were much more available <considering price> to most people. And with launching them just before xmas...

What a crap time to launch a £500 console though :blink:

Must be lots of people who like to play shit games with crap graphics.

It's the same case in the game shops over here: Even after all the hype, there's tons of packages desperately waiting for a customer. Pile after pile of brand-new Next-Gen-Money-Grabbing video consoles.

I'd say Sony has either missed the train or made a product so no-customer-friendly that 2007 will be their worst year for ages.

Feck off, I'm not going to pay that much money for a thing that looks like a 21st century toaster!

Microsoft crashes Sony PS3 launch

Berlin launch of the PS3, AFP/Getty

Trying out the PS3 and its rivals

The European launch of the PlayStation 3 has been met by both cheers and indifference across the continent.

London saw the biggest turnout and all those that turned up for the midnight event also got a free HD TV to go with their new console.

But in France, Germany and many other places crowds of keen gamers were conspicuous by their absence.

In both London and France Microsoft mounted publicity stunts to rub some of the gloss off Sony's launch events.

At the Virgin Megastore in London's Oxford Street, the software giant handed out chairs to those queuing that had a website address printed on them.

Anyone visiting the webpage saw an Xbox 360 branded site that "welcomes" Sony to the next generation and chides the electronics giant for being "late". Microsoft's Xbox 360 launched in late 2005.

In other European nations the response to the launch of the PS3 was more mixed.

In France several stores stayed open until midnight so gamers could pick up a PlayStation but few people took the opportunity to grab one.

Game news site Next Gen reported that French gamers were outnumbered by the media on the boat Sony moored by the Eiffel tower to act as a temporary electronics store selling the console.

The event was upstaged by Microsoft which drove its own boat covered in Xbox 360 logos up and down the Seine near the Sony craft.

In Germany several hundred people turned up at the Sony Centre in Berlin where the electronics giant was hosting a launch event.

Game website Kotaku reported that in Berlin, at a branch of the Saturn electronics store, 50 gamers got a free PS3 after smashing their Xbox 360 by throwing it off a wall.

Screengrab of Microsoft spoiler page, Microsoft

Microsoft had a cheeky message for Sony

In Amsterdam only a "handful" of gamers turned up to pick up a console.

One of the better attended events seems to have been in Prague in the Czech republic where more than 100 gamers queued for the chance to buy a PS3 soon after midnight.

In Sydney Sony and retailer Myer staged a launch event at which customers were also outnumbered by the media. Danny Zarka, the first Australian PS3 owner, was at the front of the queue despite only turning up after 9PM.

About 80 customers turned up for the midnight launch and the Sydney Morning Herald called it "feeble".

Cost counting

The London HD TV giveaway is thought to have cost Sony more than £250,000. It also provided free taxis to get people home safely.

At the head of the queue in London, 17-year-old Ritatsu Thomas said the giveaway and PS3 had been worth the 36-hour wait.

Gadgetcandy's Jess Hawley

A gamer's verdict

He said: "I feel fantastic. I'm delighted that everyone here also gets a television."

Sony has declared its launch of PlayStation 3 to date a success, saying early sales are faster than those of its predecessor PS2.

It believes that the combination of a high-definition Blu-ray DVD player, online capabilities and gaming powered by the Cell processor will convince gamers to spend £425 (599 Euros) on the machine.

"High definition is very important to people," said Ray Maguire, head of Sony Computer Entertainment in the UK.

"A lot of people have bought flat panel TVs and they want content to go on it and PlayStation 3 is one of the few places they can get that kind of experience."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6485483.stm

as massive launch met with silence!!

seems Sony may have seriously misjudged things this time with their overpriced system with 18month old XBOX360 games that are already in the budget range like Blazing angels, Tiger Woods, oblivion and so on at full price!!!

I like many others really can't justify getting one at such a crazy price

Archived