Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

7 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I’m wondering because they were the next 2 teams above Notts that a little agreement may of been reached, Notts lose, let’s take a draw! 

Yeah must have been. Although playing it safe then that! 

Raynor bowled 10 overs for 3 runs at one stage. 

17 hours ago, HaroldBazBo said:

The move hasn't exactly seen Zak Chapell in the limelight.

Shame for him and for us.

He may be back. Although a nice guy his record is quite modest really. Injuries have checked progression but realistically he rarely offered more than potential! 

54 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Have you heard that he might be?

Well nothing officially. But he is unhappy. Not sure if he is injured or just not selected. I personally think he will return next season on a long term loan etc. I know one of the Notts players dad quite well. 

Let's see I sometimes get these right. Did with Azad. He was knocking on Notts door for some time. 

Often you hear things and it's rubbish mind you!  He isn't anywhere near Notts Fist team even when fit, thats a fact and They are rock bottom, also a fact. 

Edited by Cake
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Cake said:

He may be back. Although a nice guy his record is quite modest really. Injuries have checked progression but realistically he rarely offered more than potential! 

one of the Notts fielders on  the boundary gave a very sarcastic  answer about Chappells injury record when asked why he didn't play for Notts 2nds at Grace road last week

Confirmed on the Radio Leicester Cricket show no overseas player for the T20 this season be surprised if we win more then 2 matches tbh which will mean even fewer people though the gate depressing interview all round but then again Khan promised the earth and delivered nothing apart from a crippling dept

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, everton carr said:

Confirmed on the Radio Leicester Cricket show no overseas player for the T20 this season be surprised if we win more then 2 matches tbh which will mean even fewer people though the gate depressing interview all round but then again Khan promised the earth and delivered nothing apart from a crippling dept

Did not catch it all but sounded woeful what I did catch, some of these kids at the world cup cannot be on much like the Afghan players yet we cannot afford them.  Charlie Dagnell came across as far more clued up than his lady

I thought Karen Rothery was pretty sensible and realistic in the interview. It's disappointing not to have a big overseas name to bring in the crowds but she's got to deal with the financial situation she's been left with - in my opinion, it's important to make the club sustainable in the long term. Wasim Khan did some good work in developing the ground and diversifying its use and income but he oversaw some horrendous decisions in terms of hiring of coaching staff and players - I don't know anyone who thought signing 38 year-old Michael Carberry was a smart move.

I think she's somewhat deluded if she thinks she can get the south-east Asian population to attend games at Grace Road, that's never going to happen. As Richard Rae says, they only attend international white ball cricket or IPL in India, never mind in Leicester. 

29 minutes ago, MaidstoneFox said:

I thought Karen Rothery was pretty sensible and realistic in the interview. It's disappointing not to have a big overseas name to bring in the crowds but she's got to deal with the financial situation she's been left with - in my opinion, it's important to make the club sustainable in the long term. Wasim Khan did some good work in developing the ground and diversifying its use and income but he oversaw some horrendous decisions in terms of hiring of coaching staff and players - I don't know anyone who thought signing 38 year-old Michael Carberry was a smart move.

I think she's somewhat deluded if she thinks she can get the south-east Asian population to attend games at Grace Road, that's never going to happen. As Richard Rae says, they only attend international white ball cricket or IPL in India, never mind in Leicester. 

Agree with the last point even when we signed Schwag in 2003 the biggest name in Indian Cricket after Tendulkar the Asian population shown no interest.Not Sure Khan done much in developing the ground apart from the floodlights that I'm not too sure we need they haven't improved T20 crowds

1 hour ago, katieakita said:

Did not catch it all but sounded woeful what I did catch, some of these kids at the world cup cannot be on much like the Afghan players yet we cannot afford them.  Charlie Dagnell came across as far more clued up than his lady

I agree with what Charlie said about T20 and how it should be our main focus, but I don't agree with what he said about the Championship - that we have no chance of ever winning it. I think if coaching and recruitment is excellent there is always the chance to build a run of form from promotion through to winning the Div.1. Essex have shown you can do this and maybe Glamorgan will manage something similar this year and next. On the flip-side, Middlesex and Sussex are showing that big budgets and talented squads doesn't guarantee success.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Cosgrove and Lilley

Could work. Blimey Lilley, Cosgrove and Dearden. 

It will look like Grace Road is hosting the premier league darts rather than cricket! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cake said:

I would go Lilly and Dearden to open. Not exactly a great option but who else? 

Can you listen to this interview on line? Podcast or something? Missed it

3 hours ago, Cake said:

I would go Lilly and Dearden to open. Not exactly a great option but who else? 

Can you listen to this interview on line? Podcast or something? Missed it

Yes you can listen to it on line.Regarding Azad not sure 15 off 50 balls will quite suit the T20?

• Like 1

To get the Asian Community involved, we need to sign a quality Indian cricketer, make him our poster boy, use him for marketing purposes by going round to Melton Road, talking to people particularly the wealthy business owners, offering free shirts/tickets etc. I’m no fan of Keith Vaz, and his power has deteriorated somewhat after his recent scandal(s) but get him involved, these people are highly influential in the community. As a club, we are simply not out there, publicly we have no presence. Indians love getting more than value for their money, we don’t really offer anything at the moment which would make them want to come to Grace Road and spend that cash, because their is likely to be no return.

Another example of poor marketing and links with the community is that last Thursday, we had our annual Sports Awards ceremony at a secondary school in the city. We asked for 2 cricketers from LCCC, as high profile as possible to come in and present some awards, make short speeches. The club sent Aadil Ali, Harry Swindells and Dips Patel. Their career highlights VT lasted less than 30 seconds. Both made decent speeches but that was it. Tickets for nominees on the night? Shirts? Signed merchandise? Nothing! Now imagine that had been Nixon and Abbas, the students would’ve gone berserk, the excitement and pull would’ve been there because they’ve met 2 genuine superstar cricketers who are known to them. Shame!

Edited by RizLCFC

7 minutes ago, RizLCFC said:

To get the Asian Community involved, we need to sign a quality Indian cricketer, make him our poster boy, use him for marketing purposes by going round to Melton Road, talking to people particularly the wealthy business owners, offering free shirts/tickets etc. I’m no fan of Keith Vaz, and his power has deteriorated somewhat after his recent scandal(s) but get him involved, these people are highly influential in the community. As a club, we are simply not out there, publicly we have no presence. Indians love getting more than value for their money, we don’t really offer anything at the moment which would make them want to come to Grace Road and spend that cash, because their is likely to be no return.

We have tried this before Schwag a God of Indian cricket came in 2003 Kumble the all time leading Indian wicket taker before that nobody came.In 2014 we played the indian touring side in a  3 day game against Leicester the crowd on each of the 3 dates less then 1k.If  it's not  the national side playing white ball cricket they are just not interested.The crowds for first class cricket in India are next to nothing.What we need to do are try to get more people in there late 50s early 60s going to matches.Like all counties we have so many members who are 70 plus when they pass away they are just not being replaced