Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

Looks.like the counties have predictably voted for money and suicide over no money and bankruptcy. I guess not much of a choice. 

I'm just not really sure how private equity firms can monetise this 100 shite. I'd guess a good 70% of existing cricket fans hate it and, while accepting that was the idea, I think the new 'fans' it has attracted (and was.meant to)  will be as flakey af. 

Either the new kid will progress to real cricket or,.more likely, they will bore of it pretty damn fast. 

I just can't see where  the money is in it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Looks.like the counties have predictably voted for money and suicide over no money and bankruptcy. I guess not much of a choice. 

I'm just not really sure how private equity firms can monetise this 100 shite. I'd guess a good 70% of existing cricket fans hate it and, while accepting that was the idea, I think the new 'fans' it has attracted (and was.meant to)  will be as flakey af. 

Either the new kid will progress to real cricket or,.more likely, they will bore of it pretty damn fast. 

I’d imagine the hope is that Indian money is invested in it, ipl owners get a slice of the teams and double up or something as a few IPL owners have a portfolio of teams around the world.

10 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

This is one of the many, many holes in the ECB's plan that was obvious from the start. They were banking on the rest of the world getting on board with the idea of yet another new form of the game. They've since just lied and bullshitted their way to the position we're at now and, yet again, all of English cricket is going to suffer in the long term.

• Like 2

The Hundred has a limited appeal. It will be an expensive millstone around cricket's neck in this country. Ruining the schedule of not just county cricket but international too.

Wish it would either bugger off or work for its money. Stick it in April and May in term time and see how many love this format.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Corky said:

The Hundred has a limited appeal. It will be an expensive millstone around cricket's neck in this country. Ruining the schedule of not just county cricket but international too.

Wish it would either bugger off or work for its money. Stick it in April and May in term time and see how many love this format.

Treading over old ground here, but the answer was/is in the 18 county T20, played nationwide. It was ever thus. There's probs an argument for Scotland and Ireland to have a team too, as they did in the old Benson& Hedges, therefore a twenty team tournament. 

Stick games on BBC red button and/or ITVX, and show the second innings run chase live  for 90 mins on mainstream TV. 

Let the counties have unlimited overseas players. Obvs it'd mean Surrey etc blowing everyone else out of the water but so be it. 

No north and south bollox. Kent v Durham and Glam v Yorks all good..

Games played more or less every night from May bank holiday til August bank holiday 

5 hours ago, Lionator said:

I’d imagine the hope is that Indian money is invested in it, ipl owners get a slice of the teams and double up or something as a few IPL owners have a portfolio of teams around the world.

I think you are right. The money will flow in from worldwide TV deals. So you could end up with Oval Royals for example and a worldwide franchise with RR, millions of fans on board and limitless opportunities to sell merchandise. Ticket prices will increase and there will be no control over scheduling (no ECB control) which will be to fit Indian TV schedules. The money and the fanbase is in Indian and that's where all cricket roads lead eventually.

Meanwhile I quite liked the low ticket prices for the Hundred for kids (£5) and the convenient scheduling time. It meant I could take my two for  a low cost crickotainment game that was a good introduction to sport. However, this will be blown out of the water by this deal and you will have 'cricket tourists' pricing locals out of the games, in much the same way as you get as many people from Oslo at Old Trafford as you get Mancunians.

I imagine it will be expanded and take up a bigger part of the summer and the championship will have to run alongside it in the future. It's appalling stewardship of the game from the ECB in my opinion

On 11/05/2024 at 07:09, Lionator said:

I hope they have more brains than money. The 100 is an attempt at recreating IPL and it just don’t work. 

ECB from the very beginning of the 100 thought they could apply something which worked elsewhere to the UK cricketing ‘aware’ public. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LBTufty said:

Latest episode of Talking Foxes is out now inc. an interview with a very level-headed Tom Scriven, rightly described as the best number 10 in world cricket - averaging a shade under 27 with x7 50s in 33 innings. 

Still no return for Wright by the sound of it. 

Shame about Wright really if he's available then we're a top 3 side in this Div for me.

Anything about Hull being fit yet?

13 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Shame about Wright really if he's available then we're a top 3 side in this Div for me.

Anything about Hull being fit yet?

Hull's played in all 3 rounds of 2nd XI fixtures against Yorkshire, Northants and the current game v Derbyshire. On figures alone, he hasn't done enough to break into the first XI.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LBTufty said:

A few changes to the squad from the Middlesex CCC game and still no CW.

Although he's not in Somerset's 14-man squad for their game tomorrow, I believe Ben Green has ended his loan spell.

IN: Salisbury, Swindells

OUT: Budinger, Green, Trevaskis

Interesting to see Swindells involved. Just so hard to see how he gets a red-ball gig.

Just listened   to a podcast with Carl Gazzard ex somerset on youtube. He says how lucky he was to play for somerset in front of 2 to 3k every game and he hated playing at Leicester and Derby in front of one man and a dog.  Wonder if many other player share his views?

25 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

Just listened   to a podcast with Carl Gazzard ex somerset on youtube. He says how lucky he was to play for somerset in front of 2 to 3k every game and he hated playing at Leicester and Derby in front of one man and a dog.  Wonder if many other player share his views?

Only the London clubs got higher aggregate attendances than Somerset in 2023.

They're an anomoly, in that they're the only cricket club in this country who are more popular than any football or rugby team within their catchment area, which is also huge.

No bad thing, by the way. I really admire it.

Edited by Voll Blau