Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxad

Stephen Hughes

Link

Hughes talk foxes agent

BARRY ANDERSON STEPHEN HUGHES' agent today rejected suggestions of an imminent move to Hearts for the Leicester City midfielder, insisting no contact has been established between the clubs.

John Colquhoun, the former Tynecastle winger, claims to be bemused by reports linking his client with a return to Scotland. Hearts' assistant coach Stephen Frail has openly admitted his admiration for Hughes but as yet no discussions have taken place.

The 24-year-old is contracted to the Foxes until June 2008 but is awaiting clarification on his future from the club's recently-appointed manager, Martin Allen. He cost £100,000 from Rangers in 2005 when Colquhoun's former Hearts team-mate, Craig Levein, brought him to the Walkers Stadium.

It is understood a modest fee would be required to cancel Hughes' contract and take him north, but Colquhoun has yet to receive any notification of Hearts' intentions.

"I haven't spoken to Hearts about Stephen Hughes or anyone else. I speak to them quite often but Stephen hasn't been mentioned," he said.

"Hearts haven't been on the phone to speak with Leicester either, and Stephen still has a contract for another year. As far as I'm aware there's nothing going on. Leicester haven't been in contact with us.

"They've just appointed a new manager so I take it he'll be looking at everybody on the staff. Until we have a chat with him, we can't say for certain what his plans are. I'm sure he'll take a decision once he's bedded himself in."

Hughes endured a disappointing campaign last season as former manager Nigel Worthington regularly deployed him in an unorthodox wide-right role. His favoured position is central midfield.

• 4 weeks later...

Link

Motherwell to sign Leicester midfielder

Daily Star reports today that Leicester midfielder Stephen Hughes is a target for Motherwell. The former Rangers player has been placed on the transfer list by Leicester manager Martin Allen and could move on.

Hughes joined Leicester from Rangers during the time Craig Levein was in charge at the Walkers Stadium. Levein thought he had made a fantastic signing, but life has been difficult for Hughes in a struggling Leicester City side.

Stephen Hughes has during his two and a half seasons with the club done ok, and kept his place in the team on a regular basis, but never done more than help the club out of the last two seasons relegations battles.

Link

Motherwell to sign Leicester midfielder

Daily Star reports today that Leicester midfielder Stephen Hughes is a target for Motherwell. The former Rangers player has been placed on the transfer list by Leicester manager Martin Allen and could move on.

Hughes joined Leicester from Rangers during the time Craig Levein was in charge at the Walkers Stadium. Levein thought he had made a fantastic signing, but life has been difficult for Hughes in a struggling Leicester City side.

Stephen Hughes has during his two and a half seasons with the club done ok, and kept his place in the team on a regular basis, but never done more than help the club out of the last two seasons relegations battles.

:thumbup::worship: i'll drive him up there myself

Shame they dont pull their fingers out and sign him. It could have saved us a training kit!!! Cant be too much going on as he was at the training ground yesterday with the rest of the squad.

lots of interest in hughes! :thumbup:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...ell/6268744.stm

Lots of clubs in for Hughes. We might get a fee

I don't see why we couldn't get some kind of fee for Stephen Hughes and i'm not suprised there are a few (scottish) clubs interested. He hasn't done well at the club but I doubt were as desperate to get rid of him has De Vries, Douglas and Hammond.

Hughes was at Motherwell as a kid, I think he might even support them. I think we'll have no trouble getting Hughes off our wage bill. It's just the others that's the problem. Hughes is the only one of the transfer listed players I wouldn't mind if we kept, I still think in a good team he'd be a decent player.

Hughes was at Motherwell as a kid, I think he might even support them. I think we'll have no trouble getting Hughes off our wage bill. It's just the others that's the problem. Hughes is the only one of the transfer listed players I wouldn't mind if we kept, I still think in a good team he'd be a decent player.

He is far too lazy to be kept. MA must have seen a video of the wolves game and made his mind up straight away. I think a good player brings something to a team not a good team bringing something out of a player. What happens if the players around him are having a bad game?

Happy to see him go, even happier if we manage to get a fee for him.

Of course we'll get a fee! He's under contract and he's not a bad player despite what we think of him.

....and he is still of decent age so we must get £300k (based on the £650k we got for Paddy Mac lol)

I wouldn't be surprised if we got £400,00/£500,000 for Hughes. He's a dependable shunter really. Plenty of stamina too but he's a sidelines player not mainline.

At Championship level he simply doesn't make enough things happen for a midfielder and has never been a goalscorer cos he never seems quite committed enough in places where the boots fly.

But if the market rates McCarthy at £650,000, Hughes must be at least two thirds of that - and reasonable value at the price given the years left in him.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got £400,00/£500,000 for Hughes. He's a dependable shunter really. Plenty of stamina too but he's a sidelines player not mainline.

At Championship level he simply doesn't make enough things happen for a midfielder and has never been a goalscorer cos he never seems quite committed enough in places where the boots fly.

But if the market rates McCarthy at £650,000, Hughes must be at least two thirds of that - and reasonable value at the price given the years left in him.

if we get 500k for hughes then i just have to say that MM would be in line for getting the best transfer negotiator award 2007... If there was one of course.

the fact he appears to be in demand works in our favor too! :thumbup:

Hughes isn't the worst player in the world but he's not the greatest either. Kelly did him no favours whatsoever by playing him on the right wing last season. Playing him there did nothing for Hughes and made him look a worse player than he really is.

Archived