Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

Monkey blood !! ...   :o

Is it? 

Oh hell i just looked it up

The 'Rh' stands for the rhesus monkey because researchers recognised that this human blood antigen was similar to a rhesus monkey blood antigen.

Eeeewwww thats grose :S 

Edited by Suzie the Fox
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Is it? 

Oh hell i just looked it up

The 'Rh' stands for the rhesus monkey because researchers recognised that this human blood antigen was similar to a rhesus monkey blood antigen.

Eeeewwww thats grose :S 

Like I said ..  you're a bloody monkey Suze ! ...        is your husbands name Cheetah by any chance ?  :whistle:    ...      and how many times a day do you shave ? ...      :)

Just now, Countryfox said:

Like I said ..  you're a bloody monkey Suze ! ...        is your husbands name Cheetah by any chance ?  :whistle:    ...      and how many times a day do you shave ? ...      :)

Every day after i pee'd in the shower :D

Actually i continued reading about blood, after i looked up that and its super interesting. AND i am pleased to say as i am RH - it means that my blood lacks any of the monkey blood antigen thingy... pheew i was getting worried then, literally swinging from the chandelier in shock lol. 

4 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

I hate love to be pedantic but Cheetah was a chimp, and chimps are apes. :P

Of course, a monkey could marry an ape, I suppose, but then again it wouldn't be a legal marriage, so...

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

I hate love to be pedantic but Cheetah was a chimp, and chimps are apes. :P

Of course, a monkey could marry an ape, I suppose, but then again it wouldn't be a legal marriage, so...

You've got far too much time on your hands Bucey ...     :P

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Dawn at the South Downs national park ...    I was there when it was dark and watched this coming up ...   

IMG_1091.jpg

Ok, if no one else is going to ask, I will:

What the fvck were you doing there in the dark?

2 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

You've got far too much time on your hands Bucey ...     :P

Good spot, mate - I've been grounded with another infected insect bite and I'm going stir crazy already.

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Good spot, mate - I've been grounded with another infected insect bite and I'm going stir crazy already.

Blimey ...   I have a similar problem ...   too long a story but I will probably have to go to the docs ...   I was covered in ticks this morning and hadn't got my tick remover so teased them out with a knife but a couple broke off ...   as I've said before you can get Lyme disease twice ..   :(

2 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Blimey ...   I have a similar problem ...   too long a story but I will probably have to go to the docs ...   I was covered in ticks this morning and hadn't got my tick remover so teased them out with a knife but a couple broke off ...   as I've said before you can get Lyme disease twice ..   :(

I read a couple of interesting tips re ticks the other day:

1) They screw themselves in clockwise, so to remove them turn them anti-clockwise.

2) If you cover them with a blob of liquid soap they will detach themselves in a couple of minutes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

I read a couple of interesting tips re ticks the other day:

1) They screw themselves in clockwise, so to remove them turn them anti-clockwise.

Are you sure that's true? I was always told you should never twist them either direction as the mouth part's more likely to stay in.

5 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Are you sure that's true? I was always told you should never twist them either direction as the mouth part's more likely to stay in.

I was just repeating what I'd read, tbh, so I checked:

https://www.otom.com/en/tick-twister/27-Frequently-asked-questions-about-tick-removal

https://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/about-ticks/tick-removal/

So the answer is, yes - but only if you have a tick removal tool.

Edited by Buce

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Which kind of tick remover do you have, CF?

21 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

just starting (well in the last week or so) to take my dad to doctors appointments re potential early signs of dementia. 

Its difficult but starting to mobilise my brother and sister into going through the Lasting power of attorney process

****ing shit bollocks life is at times, my dad still cycles (or did) 20 miles a day and is a really fit bloke but his mind is going 

don’t get me wrong he has had a good innings but life is cruel at times

Sorry to hear that, Bob. Will you apply for both types of Lasting Power of Attorney - Health/Welfare and Property/Financial Affairs?

I got both types when my Dad was in decline with Parkinson's and moderate dementia. The process from application took a couple of months, as I recall.

You'll probably already know that the 2 types operate a bit differently: the financial one can take effect immediately if the person wants that, whereas the health/welfare one only applies when someone is unable to take their own decisions - whether that's due to advanced dementia, unconsciousness or whatever. 

My Dad wanted me to use the financial power to control his finances within a couple of months of it being granted, though I always kept him informed. Technically, I never used the health/welfare one as, although he got confused at times, I was always able to discuss healthcare issues with him. His confusion was sporadic (mainly evenings, when he got tired) rather than continuous. I think it was good for his morale that he was still having his say and occasionally refusing certain treatments - although towards the end, he tended to just ask me to take the decisions. Fortunately, on the couple of occasions when important treatments were needed and he was unsure, I was able to persuade him that it was a good idea.

Although technically I didn't have to deploy the health/welfare power of attorney, it was still useful. For about 15 months, I did an awful lot of liaising with different healthcare professionals (hospital, GP, social services, physio, speech therapist etc.) and I got the impression that they were a lot readier to give me information and make arrangements because they knew that I had the power of attorney. Given the number of people/services involved, that was very necessary as it would have been too complicated for my Dad at that stage. I think that I also had to show the PoA when I signed a contract for him to have a live-in carer, even though he was present - as he wouldn't have been physically able to sign due to the Parkinson's tremors.

Good luck in dealing with your brother and sister, too. It's a situation that can really put a strain on family relations if some feel that others aren't pulling their weight, or some are happy to help with one thing but not another etc.

My brother didn't want anything to do with the PoA and left all the organisational stuff to me, as he hates dealing with institutions, and is not the most organised re. finances etc. On the other hand, he was happy to share the burden caring for my Dad (we alternated weekends staying with him, having arranged care cover in the week). That suited me fine - we'd only have fallen out if we'd both been involved in the organisational/communicational stuff. As it was, we just had one big bust-up when he got the hump over me giving him too much information....I was just trying to be democratic and letting him know of decisions I planned to take, in case he disagreed, but he basically just wanted me to do that.

Good luck with it all. While I'm sure it'll be upsetting at times, I suppose you just have to remember that any upsetting comments or behaviour are due to the illness, not the person you know and love.

There can also be very touching moments, when memories come back or feelings are expressed: e.g. my Dad forgot my Mum's name, yet clearly missed her at times, reciting song lyrics about it out of the blue.

What they say about long-term memory lasting much more than short-term also seemed very true: my Dad would get confused about where his home was, at times, yet when he was given a photo of a Gaelic football team that he'd played in 70 years before, he was able to name every bloke in the photo.

All the best! Tough times, but can also be precious times, some of the time....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Sorry to hear that, Bob. Will you apply for both types of Lasting Power of Attorney - Health/Welfare and Property/Financial Affairs?

I got both types when my Dad was in decline with Parkinson's and moderate dementia. The process from application took a couple of months, as I recall.

You'll probably already know that the 2 types operate a bit differently: the financial one can take effect immediately if the person wants that, whereas the health/welfare one only applies when someone is unable to take their own decisions - whether that's due to advanced dementia, unconsciousness or whatever. 

My Dad wanted me to use the financial power to control his finances within a couple of months of it being granted, though I always kept him informed. Technically, I never used the health/welfare one as, although he got confused at times, I was always able to discuss healthcare issues with him. His confusion was sporadic (mainly evenings, when he got tired) rather than continuous. I think it was good for his morale that he was still having his say and occasionally refusing certain treatments - although towards the end, he tended to just ask me to take the decisions. Fortunately, on the couple of occasions when important treatments were needed and he was unsure, I was able to persuade him that it was a good idea.

Although technically I didn't have to deploy the health/welfare power of attorney, it was still useful. For about 15 months, I did an awful lot of liaising with different healthcare professionals (hospital, GP, social services, physio, speech therapist etc.) and I got the impression that they were a lot readier to give me information and make arrangements because they knew that I had the power of attorney. Given the number of people/services involved, that was very necessary as it would have been too complicated for my Dad at that stage. I think that I also had to show the PoA when I signed a contract for him to have a live-in carer, even though he was present - as he wouldn't have been physically able to sign due to the Parkinson's tremors.

Good luck in dealing with your brother and sister, too. It's a situation that can really put a strain on family relations if some feel that others aren't pulling their weight, or some are happy to help with one thing but not another etc.

My brother didn't want anything to do with the PoA and left all the organisational stuff to me, as he hates dealing with institutions, and is not the most organised re. finances etc. On the other hand, he was happy to share the burden caring for my Dad (we alternated weekends staying with him, having arranged care cover in the week). That suited me fine - we'd only have fallen out if we'd both been involved in the organisational/communicational stuff. As it was, we just had one big bust-up when he got the hump over me giving him too much information....I was just trying to be democratic and letting him know of decisions I planned to take, in case he disagreed, but he basically just wanted me to do that.

Good luck with it all. While I'm sure it'll be upsetting at times, I suppose you just have to remember that any upsetting comments or behaviour are due to the illness, not the person you know and love.

There can also be very touching moments, when memories come back or feelings are expressed: e.g. my Dad forgot my Mum's name, yet clearly missed her at times, reciting song lyrics about it out of the blue.

What they say about long-term memory lasting much more than short-term also seemed very true: my Dad would get confused about where his home was, at times, yet when he was given a photo of a Gaelic football team that he'd played in 70 years before, he was able to name every bloke in the photo.

All the best! Tough times, but can also be precious times, some of the time....

Thanks @Alf Bentley your post means a lot and yes we are slowly wading through the paperwork (we have a family pow wow set up this weekend) for the lasting power of attorney (yes I was aware re the health welfare part and the financial one) and all we need to do and you are right regarding my  brother and sister we are the same and each of us will have our strengths regarding it all

thanks @Alf Bentley

will no doubt know a bit more 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Lol.. sorry.

I bet the kitten isnt phased with the dog at all? 

No worries haha

The kitten lived with dogs previously so he's fine, he keeps going over to the dog despite being smothered. Our other cat seems to have the arse though :D

• Haha 1