Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

1 minute ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Behave man, you’re all spoilt watching three of the best of all time.

Of course there were nerves, maiden grand slam win up for grabs. Still some absolutely disgustingly good shots played especially by Thiem.

I’ll happily admit sets 4 & 5 were excellent entertainment, both played some excellent shots, Thiem especially.

However both players also choked numerous times, both failed to serve it out, Zverev’s serving was yet again shit and Thiem could have wrapped it up sooner if he didn’t miss two fairly simple forehands DTL.

That’s not me being negative, that’s just how it went :dunno:

4 hours ago, kingfox said:

I’ll happily admit sets 4 & 5 were excellent entertainment, both played some excellent shots, Thiem especially.

However both players also choked numerous times, both failed to serve it out, Zverev’s serving was yet again shit and Thiem could have wrapped it up sooner if he didn’t miss two fairly simple forehands DTL.

That’s not me being negative, that’s just how it went :dunno:

But as Manwell said it was a maiden Slam on the line. You've surely watched tennis enough to know that that is the moment players tighten up and mistakes sneak in. Happens all the time, and with two players chasing a first title it becomes worse.

Edited by Facecloth

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

But as Manwell said it was a maiden Slam on the line. You've surely watched tennis enough to know that that is the moment players tighten up and mistakes sneak in. Happens all the time, and with two players chasing a first title it becomes worse.

Slam or not, Zverev has previous, you know that, he choked last night the same way he did against Murray the other week.

He is the most mentally weak player at the top of the ATP tour, how many times have we seen Zverev choke like this? Double figures easily mate.

6 hours ago, kingfox said:

Slam or not, Zverev has previous, you know that, he choked last night the same way he did against Murray the other week.

He is the most mentally weak player at the top of the ATP tour, how many times have we seen Zverev choke like this? Double figures easily mate.

Tbf it was much improved from Zverev in that department 😂 he still lost but he did at least to look like a professional tennis player throughout.

11 hours ago, kingfox said:

I know he has previous, I've criticised him plenty in the past. I just think calling a 5th set of a grand slam final between two players chasing their first slam a chokeathon is harsh. Better players than these two have tightened up in moments like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha talk about a sore loser lol 

They just showed Bertens while Nadal match was playing while she was in a wheelchair. Thought it was during the match, retired hurt kind of thing. Didn't realise it was after she beat Errani. Just shows how bad or unfocused Errani is not being able to beat a player who was writhing in agony right at the end?!

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Haha talk about a sore loser lol 

They just showed Bertens while Nadal match was playing while she was in a wheelchair. Thought it was during the match, retired hurt kind of thing. Didn't realise it was after she beat Errani. Just shows how bad or unfocused Errani is not being able to beat a player who was writhing in agony right at the end?!

Neither player could hold serve towards the end of the match, until Bertens held at 7-7.

The reason Errani didn’t win because she has the worst serve on the WTA tour, so much so, she was serving underarm at times lol 

Edited by kingfox
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great, so Nadal will equal Federer's record of 20 grand slams, and start to be talked up as the greatest ever. I don't buy it when 65% of his slams come from one event. Whilst in comparison 40% of Federer's come from his dominant slam. He's not well rounded enough to be considered the greatest in my opinion. Obviously an excellent players, but stats massively inflated by being ridiculously strong on clay.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Great, so Nadal will equal Federer's record of 20 grand slams, and start to be talked up as the greatest ever. I don't buy it when 65% of his slams come from one event. Whilst in comparison 40% of Federer's come from his dominant slam. He's not well rounded enough to be considered the greatest in my opinion. Obviously an excellent players, but stats massively inflated by being ridiculously strong on clay.

You know my opinions about this but if he gets his 21st there’s not a lot of room left to argue for me in terms of federer. I know he’s an utter clay merchant but Clay is the second most played on surface on the ATP tour and to dominate it to the extent he has done unfortunately has to count for something. Although federer will always be the one that was easiest on the eye.

Plus he has his Olympic gold medal, and a fair few more masters titles than fed.

Although when the dust settles on this era I think Novax is going to be one that viewed as the GOAT. I can see him getting 22 more than easily and also claiming gold in Tokyo.