Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

4 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Novak wins again. Grrr. Wish Med had done us a favour and ****ed off in the semis so that we could have had a proper final. 

Congratulations Djokovic.

Another achievement to add to his record ..

Definitely sounds like it was a much closer match that the scoreline suggests

I think Novak just knows when to up his game and take control.

What Djokovic is doing at the age of 36 is astounding. Surely the greatest tennis player that ever lived. In this day and age of elite athletes and sports science, he has applied himself superbly over the length of his career. Don't think he'll ever be surpassed, but Alcaraz at 20yrs old seems to have the tools to possibly challenge his record, if he applies himself correctly and of course manages to generally avoid injury

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Congratulations Djokovic.

Another achievement to add to his record ..

Definitely sounds like it was a much closer match that the scoreline suggests

I think Novak just knows when to up his game and take control.

Agreed he is an absolute marvel how he keeps doing it. The will to win, dedication and desire is unmatched. And he's fairly talented too.

I'd love to see Alcaraz step up and really challenge him though before he retires. The others don't seem to have it in them, they've lost too many times to Djokovic and are intimidated by him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Agreed he is an absolute marvel how he keeps doing it. The will to win, dedication and desire is unmatched. And he's fairly talented too.

I'd love to see Alcaraz step up and really challenge him though before he retires. The others don't seem to have it in them, they've lost too many times to Djokovic and are intimidated by him. 

They are 2 all in head to heads, with each having won a grand slam final and a masters final - the other youngsters can only dream of those stats! The race to end of year number 1 will be interesting - Novak is quite a long way ahead already but is defending a lot of points, whereas Alcaraz has very few to defend in comparison. Saying that, Alcaraz's level really dropped the whole American hard court swing, so he needs to get on top of that first. I can't help thinking that he might have had something going on personally which has impacted him - just joining the dots with him getting really emotional after the final in Cincy, plus him thanking his coaching staff for supporting him with his tennis and also personally.  

4 hours ago, The Blur said:

What is the story with Shelton's hanging up the phone celebration and Novak's imitation in their match?

Shelton has been doing this celebration at the end of his matches. He had seemingly annoyed Djokovic during the match so he replicated it to make a point at him. The drama of it all entertains me, but not sure that’s called for when you are a 36 year old, multi grand slam champion who has just beaten a kid

Edited by rachhere
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another early exit for Andy. Seems a mental issue now rather than physical, which is ironic considering the mental battles he must have gone through to get himself back to his current level of fitness. Hes said he had an end point in mind which I always imagined would by the Olympics, but if it were he must be wondering whether he has the motivation to keep going until then. 

Either way that guy has given me some amazing memories over the years - no more so than getting to witness him win the Davis Cup for GB in Belgium 

52 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Another early exit for Andy. Seems a mental issue now rather than physical, which is ironic considering the mental battles he must have gone through to get himself back to his current level of fitness. Hes said he had an end point in mind which I always imagined would by the Olympics, but if it were he must be wondering whether he has the motivation to keep going until then. 

Either way that guy has given me some amazing memories over the years - no more so than getting to witness him win the Davis Cup for GB in Belgium 

The battle when he was injured was to get back playing, he had a target and achieved that. The target when he got back playing was to regain some fitness and climb the rankings and he achieved that. Next was to prove he can compete with some of the best which he did again. Then it was to prove he could consistently do all that, and thats something he's not managed and has been trying for sometime to achieve. Even the most determined amongst us would lose motivation after that.

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

The battle when he was injured was to get back playing, he had a target and achieved that. The target when he got back playing was to regain some fitness and climb the rankings and he achieved that. Next was to prove he can compete with some of the best which he did again. Then it was to prove he could consistently do all that, and thats something he's not managed and has been trying for sometime to achieve. Even the most determined amongst us would lose motivation after that.

This is what I mean, it was no criticism. It’s hard to see him having the motivation to keep going with the results as they are 

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Wow. I wonder if that result will finish Andy Murray off for good. 

de Minuar seems to have become something of a nemesis in the twilight of Murray's career - that's the latest in a few rather frustrating losses to him.

Speaking personally I don't think he'll wander off into the sunset just yet - Wimbledon 2024 would be as good a place as any for that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

de Minuar seems to have become something of a nemesis in the twilight of Murray's career - that's the latest in a few rather frustrating losses to him.

Speaking personally I don't think he'll wander off into the sunset just yet - Wimbledon 2024 would be as good a place as any for that.

From 5-2 up in the last set with 2 breaks, that's got to be a killer. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

From 5-2 up in the last set with 2 breaks, that's got to be a killer. 

Yeah. Time was Murray would be the one inflicting such comeback situations, rather than be the subject of them.

Still bugs the hell out of me that he had to play at the same time as the three greatest players who ever lived.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Murray and Lendl part ways again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/67384051

Doubt they will unite for a 4th time!

Doubt it, Murray feels he has a game to challenge at the top still and well things haven’t gone well… strangely he struggles to close out matches, despite his numerous title wins. You can see he can easily make top 20 that is for sure. 

On another note it is great to see Draper make his first ATP final 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Nole not a fan of some of the more vociferous parts of the Team GB support, then.

Trying to find a good clip of it and failing. Pretty disrespectful though from the GB fans though from what I have read - if opposition fans had done that to Andy they would be raging (as would I!)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rachhere said:

Trying to find a good clip of it and failing. Pretty disrespectful though from the GB fans though from what I have read - if opposition fans had done that to Andy they would be raging (as would I!)

Yeah, I think it's one of those sporting instances where it's difficult to not be a hypocrite - I'd be pissed off if it happened to Murray, but struggle to be as concerned with it happening to Nole, simply because of the partisan occasion.